Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool PCT Southbound 2017

Hey all!

It has been a year since I finished my SoBo thru of the Continental Divide Trail and almost 3 years since finishing my Appalachian Trail SoBo thruhike. I know it's early, but I'm already planning on completing my triple crown on the PCT come 2017. As with my past two hikes, I'll be traveling Southbound, starting from Canada and ending at the Mexican border. Albeit early, anyone else on here planning on trekking that direction? With my first thru I met two people on these forums that I'm still friends with today - Treegasm and Sherpa. My start dates on both previous hikes were (coincidentally enough) June 27th. I'm aiming at that same start date, give or take a few days depending on travel/weather/the unpredictables. I've read about snow on the mountains out there in those months but feel experienced enough from the CDT that I shouldn't encounter too many problems. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the precipitation will be like this winter.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone else is planning on walking South. It'd be great to have company at the beginning as the first two weeks are always the hardest (unless you hit the Gila river on the CDT in 40 degree weather with the river up to your waist ).

Can't wait to see yall out there!!

HoverJob (AT '13)
    DooFrain (CDT '15)

I'm also prepping for a SOBO attempt next year. And hey, I SOBO'd the AT in '13 also!

I started the AT on June 1, so I don't think we met? When did you finish? I got to Springer on October 19th.

Anyway, I'm not sure about my start date. I'm watching snowfall, and chatting with my Uncle who lives in Bellingham (not far from Steven's Pass). I'm hoping to start as early as is reasonable to maximize my time to get through the Sierras. My Uncle seems to think starting before July 4th would mean some pretty miserable post-holing in the woods, based on an "average" snow year. But I've also read some blogs of people who started as early as June 15th and made it through without any major mishaps. At this point, I'm thinking about a July 1st start but being prepared to go a week or two sooner as weather allows.

Righteous (AT SOBO '13)
    Righeous
    AT SOBO '13

Montani Semper Liberi-
    Mountaineers are always free

I was surprised by the difference in numbers of SOBOers encountered in Oregon this yr as I was OR NOBO section hiking compared to the numbers I met on a 06 NOBO thru. You will not be alone going SOBO with that general start date.

I like your opting of all SOBO itineraries for your TC.

All the best.

Wow lumberjaime that's awesome that we were both on the AT the same year! Yeah, I was at least a month behind you so we probably never crossed paths. I finished December 17 (I was taking a lot of 0's compared to the CDT). Definitely keep me posted on your plans as the date nears!

Going south as well. AT nobo was done in 2015, 5 months and a week. What kind of miles are you aiming for at start? I'm more of a camp together hike alone kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by meat803 View Post
    Going south as well. AT nobo was done in 2015, 5 months and a week. What kind of miles are you aiming for at start? I'm more of a camp together hike alone kind of guy.

Really depends on the weather/snow pack. On average at the start of my previous two thrus (AT/CDT) I averaged 16-21 miles. With that said, my two starts for those trails were Katahdin (when I was a greenhorn and carried like 40lbs, and yes, I carried my pack up that beast because I had rented a lean-to at Chimney Pond - totally worth it) and Glacier National Park (lots of elevation). As long as I'm not postholing all day, I'd say Ill be right around those beginning averages. This also involves me waking up at like 6-7am and hiking til sunset.

And I'm with you on the whole camp together hike alone. Ill hike close to somebody if we have a nice convo going, but if it tapers off Ill either slow down or speed up to add some separation. I guess I'm a little strange at first, but after you get to know me it doesn't seem so weird (I'm not avoiding you or trying to get away, just like my space). With that said there was one occasion like that on the CDT - weird AF guy I randomly meet in the middle of nowhere in the Bob Marshall Wilderness asks me for directions... he has ZERO maps, no compass and a GPS he didn't even know how to use, but had sent it in to be programmed with waypoints... I bushwhacked through a SWAMP to add space because he was 20 years my senior, asking me to slow down for him to keep up, and just overall showing a supreme lack in backpacking skills. I tried to be nice at first, and showed him how to track points on his GPS, but when he started to criticize my load-out (that's a heavy pack, a visor is better than a hat, those types of shoes yatta yatta) I said see-ya and purposely put on the jets to make space.

Anyways, can't wait to meet everyone out there! Just order my guidebook last night

I'm pondering SOBO, but of course now I have a NOBO permit. For a day I didn't want to start.

Pack with food and water is about 40lbs, it sounds like people think that's heavy?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    I'm pondering SOBO, but of course now I have a NOBO permit. For a day I didn't want to start.

Pack with food and water is about 40lbs, it sounds like people think that's heavy?
    I am starting to think you are too much involved in pre-hike planing and stuff.

The thru hike is definitely about the journey . Destination is just the end of a long journey and nothing more. gather your stuff ,hit the trail and solve the coming problems as they come. We sometimes are too much into planning to the extent that we forget we hike to enjoy and problem solve if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    I am starting to think you are too much involved in pre-hike planing and stuff.

The thru hike is definitely about the journey . Destination is just the end of a long journey and nothing more. gather your stuff ,hit the trail and solve the coming problems as they come. We sometimes are too much into planning to the extent that we forget we hike to enjoy and problem solve if necessary.
    Nothing wrong with planning for a thru hike though an area that is getting 30 year highs in snow. To not plan would be negligent.

Not to mention giving advice like "gather your stuff ,hit the trail and solve the coming problems as they come" is potentially dangerous and gets people in trouble or harmed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfraidOfBears View Post
    Not to mention giving advice like "gather your stuff ,hit the trail and solve the coming problems as they come" is potentially dangerous and gets people in trouble or harmed.
    you interpreted my advice to you and not others since I quoted your comment in my response, very badly. the first serious snow pct hikers would face (one day climb of San Jacinto aside) is when they hit Sierra so they have hiked 750 plus miles already and they are not greenhorn anymore.

There is a saying in Persian that says : trying to have a purposeful conversation sometimes turns to grinding water( which is pointless). Sir, it seems I have been grinding water so far.

For those of you doing SOBO, I've got a question on timing (because I am still considering SOBO, right now have a late NOBO start though).

If the earliest folks can leave is around July 1 (due to snow in WA), and I'm reading that you need to get through the Sierras by the beginning of October, that means you basically need to hike the trail at a ~4 month pace, or you won't make it? Is that right, or am I missing something? Or can you push the window in the Sierras into later in October in most years?

This is generally sound thinking based on my research and advice from former hikers. I have some relatives in Bellingham who spend a good deal of time in the Cascades, and I also spoke with some folks at an outfitter in Winthrop, WA, about early season hiking conditions. I decided to leave early, get a look at the trail, and then have some time to wait if needed. They seem to agree that the snow will likely persist into July, most won't be able to reasonably avoid snow travel, so might as well get to it. Obviously with appropriate safety aides and the experience needed to use them.

Just got my permit approval today, starting from Hart's Pass on June 17th, reaching Monument 78 the next day to start the SOBO. That's an extra two weeks to adjust my plans and still reach the Sierra in a relatively safe point in the season. Still, yeah, it's got to be kind of quick, and there is no question of travelling on snow.

Not sure if you have visited either of these sites, but I've found them very useful for general PCT information, and SOBO specific questions:
    http://www.pmags.com/pacific-crest-trail-planning-info
    http://francistapon.com/Travels/Paci...und-on-the-PCT

Oh hey, you're from Washington! Not sure how much you know about current conditions and local predictions for the Cascades this spring/early summer, but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts too.
    Righeous
    AT SOBO '13

Montani Semper Liberi-
    Mountaineers are always free

Hello all!
    This is my first post but when I saw this thread I figured I should make an account and reply.
    I am planning on hiking the PCT southbound as well with a start date of July 1st.
    I am excited to potentially meet you guys and other SOBO hikers along the way! I am currently planning on beginning alone and having friends join me once I reach Northern California.
    I have 3 questions for other SOBO hikers:
    1) Are any of you planning on bringing technical gear for your traverse of Washington, like crampons or ice axes?
    2) Would anyone be willing to ride share or hitch hike together from either Seattle or Wenatchee to Hart's Pass? My tentitive plan is currently to take a train from Seattle to Wenatchee and then either hitchhike, book a ride on the Classic Mountain Cabby (preferably with other people), or get in touch with a Trail Angle who would be willing to drive me part way. I could leave a couple days earlier if it would work better with other people's schedules.
    3) I typically prefer to hike alone but I recognize that there are some significant dangers in the Cascades during this time of year. I am wondering if I can find someone else who wouldn't be apposed to hiking together through some of the most dangerous parts of Washington so that we can have a buddy system in case anything goes wrong.

I would really enjoy connecting with some of you other PCT SOBO hikers.

-Dutch

GAME 06

I sort of scanned the above posts and thought I should mention your various start dates.

Anytime in June is very likely to be way too early.

There has been a big snow year up north as well. Washington amounts were at 100% of the Apr 1 average overall but with well above average to almost record in the northern 100 miles. Oregon was well above the Apr 1 average.

So, depending on melt and further snow it is quite possible that mid-July is a more reasonable time to start (July 7 is likely best case).

And yes if you go SOBO you are going to have to hump it big time. You need to be planning on getting to Kennedy Meadows (south) by early Oct. Mid-July to then is approx 83 days. And that works out to approx 25 mpd every day no zeros figured in! One will need to be turning lots of 30's in Oregon and No. Cal.

SOBO is an excellent option, but not an easy one by any means. Anyone starting NOBO earlier than 7-15 May has some issues to deal with undoubtedly. But one cannot start early SOBO either this year and may need to start later just like the NOBO's and that means you are going to need to beat feet with some focus if you want to avoid being caught by winter.

Just want to say that ice ax will most likely be needed for any SOBO PCT hike before the middle of July.
    I did Washington SOBO back in 2002 in August and didn't have an ice ax and did a few self arrests with my hiking buddy's trekking poles collapsed.
    The trail traverses mountains much of the time, and there is snow (almost ice) in the early mornings in the alluvials. (gullys)
    They would be long and steep falls if you slid down into the rocks below.
    So, be careful out there.
    It is beautiful, but helps to know the dangers.
    Trail finding can be tough too as many north slopes were still under snow (yes in August)(that year anyway)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    I sort of scanned the above posts and thought I should mention your various start dates.

Anytime in June is very likely to be way too early.

There has been a big snow year up north as well. Washington amounts were at 100% of the Apr 1 average overall but with well above average to almost record in the northern 100 miles. Oregon was well above the Apr 1 average.

So, depending on melt and further snow it is quite possible that mid-July is a more reasonable time to start (July 7 is likely best case).

And yes if you go SOBO you are going to have to hump it big time. You need to be planning on getting to Kennedy Meadows (south) by early Oct. Mid-July to then is approx 83 days. And that works out to approx 25 mpd every day no zeros figured in! One will need to be turning lots of 30's in Oregon and No. Cal.

SOBO is an excellent option, but not an easy one by any means. Anyone starting NOBO earlier than 7-15 May has some issues to deal with undoubtedly. But one cannot start early SOBO either this year and may need to start later just like the NOBO's and that means you are going to need to beat feet with some focus if you want to avoid being caught by winter.
    I agree with this completely. If you look back at SoBo journals you will quickly see why.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

I don't remember you from my '15 section (unless you were one of three crossing a stream for a campsite south of Benchmark).

Yes, the cautions on the short weather window going sobo are correct, but this year, nobo is at least as short.

The next two months will have a major impact on snow conditions. It may be much better or worse than an average year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmen View Post
    Hello all!
    This is my first post but when I saw this thread I figured I should make an account and reply.
    I am planning on hiking the PCT southbound as well with a start date of July 1st.
    I am excited to potentially meet you guys and other SOBO hikers along the way! I am currently planning on beginning alone and having friends join me once I reach Northern California.
    I have 3 questions for other SOBO hikers:
    1) Are any of you planning on bringing technical gear for your traverse of Washington, like crampons or ice axes?
    2) Would anyone be willing to ride share or hitch hike together from either Seattle or Wenatchee to Hart's Pass? My tentitive plan is currently to take a train from Seattle to Wenatchee and then either hitchhike, book a ride on the Classic Mountain Cabby (preferably with other people), or get in touch with a Trail Angle who would be willing to drive me part way. I could leave a couple days earlier if it would work better with other people's schedules.
    3) I typically prefer to hike alone but I recognize that there are some significant dangers in the Cascades during this time of year. I am wondering if I can find someone else who wouldn't be apposed to hiking together through some of the most dangerous parts of Washington so that we can have a buddy system in case anything goes wrong.

I would really enjoy connecting with some of you other PCT SOBO hikers.

-Dutch
    i might be able to give you a ride depending when i start, ill be in seattle until the window opens up, could be july 1, who knows, but if i can go earlier i will, im starting out nobo to kennedy meadows then going to seattle for a wedding, then will hang out until i can hike out sobo. if you are flexible on when you want to start and are looking to go as soon as the window opens up, lets hook up and make it happen. my sister lives in seattle so you could stay with us and get a ride out if you wanted.

oh and ya im bringing crampons and ice axe, i think it will be necessary

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++