WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Adding to an old thread. I will be thru hiking with a planned start date of Feb 23 depending on how the weather is shaking out around that time. Would love to know of other Friends of Bill that have a plan to thru-hike this year. I have a solid call list, and intend to attend meetings in towns along the way. Anyone who is interested in knowing others on the trail, feel free to PM me or post here!

See you on the trail!

-Happy

It is not easy for me to say no to alcohol being offered by beautiful women. Just saying..

Quote Originally Posted by Happy2Hike View Post
    Adding to an old thread. I will be thru hiking with a planned start date of Feb 23 depending on how the weather is shaking out around that time. Would love to know of other Friends of Bill that have a plan to thru-hike this year. I have a solid call list, and intend to attend meetings in towns along the way. Anyone who is interested in knowing others on the trail, feel free to PM me or post here!

See you on the trail!

-Happy
    I'm starting in the early April bubble. Hope to see you out there. Detox 7/15/83

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I thru hiked sober. Started NOBO in March. By the time I reached the Smokies I decided to switch to an alternative thru. I can't say it was due to substance use on the trail, but as I did my flipping and flopping, I did notice some hostels being very party-oriented and I tended to either avoid them or avoid the party crowd if I stayed. I think more so my sobriety gave me more time for introspection and I didn't feel the need for the social aspect of the trail. Next time I go through I'll probably partake in moderation and take in the "scene."

You'll never know what the herd looks like until you end up in it, but depending on when you leave it can be shockingly crowded. Leaving in February can reduce your exposure to party bubbles, the kids tend to leave in March/April. There will be plenty of people with no interest in getting messed up, however. I'd say have a plan B in case the NOBO scene is not for you.

Yes, you have the right to disable yourself with chemicals. Not the smartest route IMO.

There are reasons why the Government wants the electorate to be chemically pacified at best and mentally disabled at worst.

Yay! dude.
    Last edited by RockDoc; 11-17-2019 at 18:17.

Hey there! I think that starting in February, while a bit early will get me out in front of the bubble. If it turns out that I have to start too much later, I may consider a flip-flop or SOBO. I have no problem with what others do on the trail, it just holds no interest for me. My definition of a good time has evolved over time, and I really enjoy being present for life. I spent far too long letting it pass me by.

Very excited for this trip! Started training hikes this past week.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++