WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default any altaplex reviews?

Hi: Wondering if anyone wanted to share their opinions on their altaplex shelter. Wind? Water? Footprint size? Setup oddities? Thanks!

I too am very interested in other's opinions on the Altaplex.

I have been an Altaplex user for over a year. I had the camo version and now have the blue color. I much prefer the camo version and the 1.5oz weight penalty is worth it (long, unimportant reason as to why I changed). The reason: the darker fabric provides more privacy for changing as well as darkness when trying to sleep.

I find that one pole shelters provide a better pitch. The headroom is awesome. I am 6'2" and the peak height is great. As for length, the Altaplex was designed to be the big brother to the Soloplex. This is the first tent I could stretch all the way out and never worry about touching the overhead. I really enjoy the big rainbow door which makes it easy to climb in and out of. The width is a nice sweet spot. There is plenty of room to store gear at the foot or along side.

Having owned several single wall shelters, the one thing that stands out about the Altaplex is the condensation is less. My own conclusion is because the peak height is so much higher, the moisture from your breathing dissipates before collecting on the overhead. Also, the high peak height also means the front has more mesh for air flow.

My biggest nitpick is in driving rain. I wish the edges could go all the way to ground without having to lower the pole height. You have to find the sweet spot of a lower tent to prevent splash back versus enough off the ground for ventilation. Still, with a good pitch, you can stay dry with minimal splash back.

I personally think the Altaplex is the best solo tent ZPacks makes. Many prefer the Duplex as a solo tent but the quick pitch of a single pole combined with the spacious headroom makes it a perfect single walled tent.

Journal Entries

Have you seen Fozzie's review?

I picked one up during the BF sale, but haven't received it yet.

I ordered one in camo on the last day of the BF sale. I'm looking forward to using it although that may be several months from now as winter is fast approaching here in the White Mountains of NH.

I got one this year and have gone on two trips with it. It took a few nights to get good at pitching it and I still find myself making adjustments to get it just right.

I tend to avoid exposed areas especially in the wind but it did well in fairly heavy but not direct wind. Where it really shined was in the rain. I spent the night in a serious downpour and stayed perfectly dry. I had no issues with splash back, but I was careful about the pitch height so the bathtub floor was as high as possible

I will echo the previous statements about condensation as being minimal to non-existent.

This is my first piece of CF gear and so far I am very happy with it. The translucent material does not bother me in the least

++ New Posts ++