WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Pot choice

GoatBone cook kit stuff sackGoatBone 7.5 oz Mini Soda Can Stove (Pro 12 Version)GoatBone Chicken Wire Pot Stand (4x16 for TOAKS 550ml pot)GoatBone Reflectix pot cozy (550 ml Toaks pot)GoatBone Stove Ground Heat ShieldGoatBone Beer Can Wind Screen (TOAKS 550) GSI Folding SporkGSI Silicone Pot GripperLight load towel (quartered)Lighter (cook kit)TOAKS Light Titanium 550ml lidTOAKS Light Titanium 550ml pot without handle

Total: 5 oz

GoatBone means its home made. We dehydrate meals before we go out. 125 grams of dehydrated meal and enough water to cover it and a little head room for boil in the pot is all I get. I feel like this is about as bare bones as I can get. The stove weighs 7 grams and the pot stand weighs 7 grams...I can leave the pot stand at home and use tent stakes or rocks as a pot stand but I would be giving up a lot of convenience to drop 7 grams...

anybody want to buy one of these alcohol stoves? I've been making them for years and I must have 50 sitting around. They are hand-made up-cycled usable hiking art!!

(yellow book is full of boil times for almost every stove I've made...yeah I'm weird like that)

GoatBone Stoves.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hipbone View Post
    GoatBone cook kit stuff sackGoatBone 7.5 oz Mini Soda Can Stove (Pro 12 Version)GoatBone Chicken Wire Pot Stand (4x16 for TOAKS 550ml pot)GoatBone Reflectix pot cozy (550 ml Toaks pot)GoatBone Stove Ground Heat ShieldGoatBone Beer Can Wind Screen (TOAKS 550) GSI Folding SporkGSI Silicone Pot GripperLight load towel (quartered)Lighter (cook kit)TOAKS Light Titanium 550ml lidTOAKS Light Titanium 550ml pot without handle

Total: 5 oz

GoatBone means its home made. We dehydrate meals before we go out. 125 grams of dehydrated meal and enough water to cover it and a little head room for boil in the pot is all I get. I feel like this is about as bare bones as I can get. The stove weighs 7 grams and the pot stand weighs 7 grams...I can leave the pot stand at home and use tent stakes or rocks as a pot stand but I would be giving up a lot of convenience to drop 7 grams...

anybody want to buy one of these alcohol stoves? I've been making them for years and I must have 50 sitting around. They are hand-made up-cycled usable hiking art!!

(yellow book is full of boil times for almost every stove I've made...yeah I'm weird like that)

GoatBone Stoves.jpg
    To the people asking about these stoves via PM's...please make sure you can receive PM's from others so I can respond

So I know Ti does not do heat transfer as well as AL or steel. So I went and bought a cheap Ti Chinese pot with heat exchanger. I'm guessing that the heat exchanger will save wt in fuel. Does anybody have any knowledge or experience in this area?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    So I know Ti does not do heat transfer as well as AL or steel. So I went and bought a cheap Ti Chinese pot with heat exchanger. I'm guessing that the heat exchanger will save wt in fuel. Does anybody have any knowledge or experience in this area?
    I really feel like if you're doing nothing but heating water or cooking a hiking meal in normal 3 season weather then a regular titanium pot works as good as anything. Heat exchangers and different metal pots are trivial when it comes to weight savings and most of the time just adds unnecessary weight. (I'm sure some people will have a different opinion)

cmoulder has lots of info on heat exchanger pots and fuel savings. private message him.

thom

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

While I can't say anything for yourChinese pot and heat exchanger... I can say I noticed this past weekend just how fast the JetBoil is...

I generally take my SnowPeak LiteMax and my MSR Titan Kettle for weekend hikes to save on weight.

But this time, temperatures were foretasted to dip to freezing, and I've had issues using the LiteMax at those temperatures. So took along my heavier JetBoil MiniMo because it is listed as operational down to 20º.

I noticed a distinct difference in how fast the water was boiling with the MiniMo compared to the LiteMax/Titan Kettle.

I had previously used the MiniMo on a JMT thru, and I was quite surprised when a typical 4oz canister lasted 12 days from Red's to Whitney Portal... and then required about 10 minutes at full blast to burn off the remaining fuel so that I could dispose of the canister. The fuel had been used every night of the trip to boil water for meals, as well as to warm some water for a sponge bath each night.

I don't think my LiteMax and Titan Kettle could have ever performed that well.

Do you have a link for that Chinese Ti pot with heat exchanger?

I've seen plenty of aluminum ones but not titanium.

Thanks!

Images

This Inferno HX pot is looking pretty good:

DSCF3635.JPG

Images

Modified Toaks Light 700 with esbit, another good choice,

NuWay with toaks700.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    This Inferno HX pot is looking pretty good:

DSCF3635.JPG
    finally someone used a copper wick to facilitate

Vapor pressure

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    finally someone used a copper wick to facilitate
    Copper wick works great in cold weather to help alcohol to ignite. The XL3 burner is awesome.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-xl3.php

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++