WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Bag

Default Sleeping Bag

Folks,

question or two for you. I have an old sleeping back that I bought circa 1989 (so between 25 and 30 years old). It's a Kelty; but there are only a few labels on it; none of which show the rating.

(a) how long does a synthetic bag last? will this bag still provide the same warmth as when I purchased it?
    (b) what is the temperature rating of the bag? I have only the limited information on the labels. It shows Kelty RN70241. I've also attached 3 pictures of the tags on the bag.

thank you for any help provided.

David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

The fibers should last a long time if the were stored properly.
    Compare it to other bags with approximately 1 lbs. 2 oz. of fill.
    Contact Kelty with the RN#, they may be able to help.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

18 ounces of quality goose down properly constructed with 5.5" of loft will get you a 20 degree rating.
    Educated guess: 18 ounces of Quallofil, maybe 40 degrees. Kelty may have sold it as a 35 degree bag.
    Have you called Kelty? Got a model name?
    Go through the REI catalog and compare to similar size bags and similar fill weight.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries
    Images

A 1.5 pound synthetic bag? Should still be good if it's been out of the elements, out of the sun, stayed dry, etc. Definitely a summer bag, maybe good for car camping, summer jaunts. I wouldn't carry it myself with all the hydrophobic down offerings out there now.

well duh! of course, I should call Kelty. now why didn't I think of that ;>)

model name appears to be RN70241

hello greenlight. the bag doesn't weigh 1.5#, it weighs 2.8#.

I've got one person saying summer bag, and another saying 40degree bag. thinking I may need to get in the market for a new bag if I'm going to start backpacking again. welcome any other comments; but looks like we've got some agreement here. I'll also contact Kelty and see what they say. thanks folks !

The North Face Aleutian 35 bag at REI is almost an exact match for your bag.
    18 ounces of fill. 40 degree rating.
    Who's the Man?

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I would agree that the initial temp rating was probably around 40f
    However, I doubt it has the same warmth. I wouldn't bother calling anyone about it. Just try it and bring some backup layers

No one is going to tell you over the phone what warmth you'll get out of a '89 synthetic bag

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfield View Post
    I've got one person saying summer bag, and another saying 40degree bag. thinking I may need to get in the market for a new bag if I'm going to start backpacking again. welcome any other comments; but looks like we've got some agreement here. I'll also contact Kelty and see what they say. thanks folks !
    They are saying the same thing. Don't use it in the other three seasons. In my opinion, being synthetic and considering the age of it, I wouldnt trust it much past 50F.

The proof is in the pudding. Pitch a tent outside your house and sleep in it...or on the porch etc

Given the fact that manufacturers inconsistently estimate rating and the age of the bag I would want to know for real myself.
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    The proof is in the pudding. Pitch a tent outside your house and sleep in it...or on the porch etc

Given the fact that manufacturers inconsistently estimate rating and the age of the bag I would want to know for real myself.
    Exactly, especially since everyone sleeps differently and you would want to do that even if the bag was brand new.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post

Exactly. Try it on a cool night and see how you do. The temp ratings on any bag are nothing more than an approximation of what the "average" user will be comfortable to, and they are often way off. This is something everyone should do pre-trip with any new bag. I'm good into the teens with my 20* rated quilt and a few extra clothes, but my wife is a bit chilly at 15 degrees in her 10* quilt with a liner, long johns, and down jacket on. It's a very individual thing...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

I had a Quallofill bag! It was my winter bag and plenty warm and weighed between 2 and 5 lbs. And I sleep *cold*.

I have since given it to my college roommate who continues to this day to use it as her sleeping bag, year round.

So don't be too quick to dismiss Quallofill. It was a heavier precursor to Primaloft and Climashield, but also less fragile.

As everyone else is recommending, give it a nightly backyard test. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by what you find, given the bag's age. Newer, technically advanced synthetic insulations have trained us to expect less durability, but older synthetic insulations (such as the poly-batting inside a surplus Woobie) damned near never lose their warmth. Wish I could say the same about my down bag which soooooooooooooooowly, but surely leaks feathers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

lots of great advice here folks. thank you for all the helpful comments. I'm good!

The best part:
    Made In USA!
    Wayne

If you want to estimate you bag warmth, have a look at the table in this post.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    If you want to estimate you bag warmth, have a look at the table in this post.
    There it is. I've been looking for that table. Thanks for the link.
    Wayne

It depends on how much loft is left. I tried using an old, well used North Face "Cats Meow" and I suffered tremendously on that trip and called it quits at Gatlinburg. At best I was getting 1" of loft the insulation was so compressed from being stored stuffed in the bag for 10 years or 15 years. That just didn't cut it in 30 degree temps.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

nsherry61

hey - thank you very much. that's a great table. suggests I have a 50F bag. appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++