WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Driverless Cars

Default Driverless Cars

Recently saw discussion about how driverless cars are moving forward. Not sure exactly when they will be ready, but people were discussing how great this would be.

Then this week I have been doing day hikes on the Mason Dixon trail. Twice I was able to get my wife to drop me off a spot after first leaving my vehicle 10-12 miles down the road. But the other days I have been having to do short hikes 5-6 miles and then retrace my path (or take a shortcut) back to my vehicle. I could have gotten much more of the trail done if there were driverless cars to keep track of me and come get me when I got tired. BTW I did consider a cab or uber and they wanted $30 for such a trip. Too much to spend when the main purpose was exercise and to complete more of the MDTS.

A driverless car would be very good for a trail like the Mason Dixon where there are so few legal camping sites.

It could also be helpful on the AT. Especially for section hikers, but even others who might carry a couple months of supplies in the trunk. Car could come to trailhead, you restock and car takes off to some parking in a nearby town until needed again.

I suspect this might change the whole trail experience a lot if you are not having to find ways into town etc. Not sure if that would translated into more days in town as it would be easy to get a ride, or less because you could resupply without going into town.

In either case, I think my hiking will need to get done the old fashioned way, but may some you younger people might be able to take advantage by the time you retire.

Garlic
    Images

Yeah, I had that revelation a few months back, a real "aha" moment. Things could really change. Imagine also the use of drones to drop off supplies (new shoes from Amazon?) nearly anywhere. My non-hiking friends even enjoy that discussion.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

It could mean that one would not have to carry a overnight pack, even lunch and water just get it at the last road crossing for the night. It has the possibility of really changing AT hiking.

El Camino is a example that is already there without the need for driverless cars. All one needs is a day pack, though one could go packless. It is about 5euro's to get you pack bounced to your destination, and cheap eats and drinks are along the way. Sometimes one has to carry no water and no food. In some ways it is very freeing to walk like that. The long stretches of pavement walking sucks though, and the AT Thru will never allow a fully packless hike unless fully supported.

The obvious next step for uber is to go driverless. The question is, how much would that $30 charge change, if any?

I guess you would be considering using your personal driverless car, but 30 bucks a day is still pretty reasonable when you consider all of the costs of ownership.

I see people in the future owning far fewer cars and relying much more heavily on a fleet of driverless ubers to get them to work or the trailhead. And yes, the grocery store will have their own driverless vehicles to bring you your food at home, work, or the trailhead.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    The obvious next step for uber is to go driverless. The question is, how much would that $30 charge change, if any?

I guess you would be considering using your personal driverless car, but 30 bucks a day is still pretty reasonable when you consider all of the costs of ownership.

I see people in the future owning far fewer cars and relying much more heavily on a fleet of driverless ubers to get them to work or the trailhead. And yes, the grocery store will have their own driverless vehicles to bring you your food at home, work, or the trailhead.
    Ididthinkthe

I did also think the $30 was reasonable, and dam convenient, for the purposes of the OP, how much more will it cost him to go back another day to do another out and back. How much more enjoyable is it to do a thru section then a out and back. Personal and HYOH, but I would rather have paid the $30 for the day's experience.

While agree that humans that work makes mistakes, not really a fan of the driverless car just yet.

Yeah the options are endless. Drones or driverless cars can drop off refreshing 12's of Heinys in ATC seal of approval included biodegradable UL containers at lean-to ta tas or THs. Go to the dark web from on trail and order up some party favors from Silk Road and have the drone drop it off. Paid with Bit Coin. Pizza delivery drivers and Delivery Export Counselors will now only need to qualify based on being able to operate a SEGA joystick controller. Oh the wonders of technology.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    While agree that humans that work makes mistakes, not really a fan of the driverless car just yet.
    I get that. It's scary. Even if driverless cars reduce casualties by 99%, I think that last 1% will be hard to accept as being caused by the machines. Say if a machine makes the decision to kill a kid to save five adults, that could be really hard to accept as the right decision.

The whole concept may not get through beta. What ever happened to Google Glass?
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post

The whole concept may not get through beta. What ever happened to Google Glass?
    Itwasaprototype,

It was a prototype/experiment/proof of concept. Apple is said to be developing 'iglasses' to be released soon.

++ New Posts ++