WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Well, in fairness, we should note that hotels once "graced" the summits of Moosilauke and Roan Mtn. (Cloudland), and possibly others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Well, in fairness, we should note that hotels once "graced" the summits of Moosilauke and Roan Mtn. (Cloudland), and possibly others as well.
    lafayette and whitetop

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    If I were a billionaire I would spend my money buying up any moron companies that tried to do stuff like this and make them go away.
    I'm with you 100%, but the fact that we think like that is part of the reason we aren't billionaires.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

There's already been a lot of buildings up there. What the heck... Same thing with Pikes Peak, but so what.

The proposed hotel is not at the summit complex its about 1 mile west in an area that previously didn't have any structures

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Where are they now? Did the economic climate change so drastically that it could still be profitable building eyesores on top of mountains?

I'm not arguing for building structures on top of mountains; I'm just noting that there is a precedent, back in the Gilded Age when millionaires had to go somewhere to relax. Any similarity between the robber baron era and the present-day is, of course, coincidental.

Images

After taking a day to stew this over, I still reach the same conclusion: this would be a sin, it should be stopped. The septic system issue alone is an ecological nightmare.

I could support a small facility at the summit, it has already been defiled. Or why not build a hotel at the Cog Railway Base Station and include a trip to the summit as part of the package. This plan is just wrong.

Images

The local politics of this proposal should get real interesting. I imagine it will be difficult (and a bit hypocritical) to deny a local family run operation permits to build on their own land when you look at what the AMC has been allowed to do on public lands

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    After taking a day to stew this over, I still reach the same conclusion: this would be a sin, it should be stopped. The septic system issue alone is an ecological nightmare.
    They plan on piping the sewage down to the base station for treatment. Getting water up there might be a bigger issue.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    This must be stopped. Cog Railway owners are proposing to build a 35 room hotel (high priced no doubt) 2/3 of way up Mt Washington along side the railroad track. http://www.concordmonitor.com/cog-railway-hotel-proposed-6622865 DavidNH
    The mighty dollar demolishes everything in its path. Let's hope that if people really care they'll do more than air complaints to those who also oppose it. Unfortunately, apathy reigns. I myself have lost all hope in such matters, but I take solace in knowing that the Earth will one day wipe itself clean of we humans and start all over again...hopefully with a wiser set of species.

Best to enjoy what's left, while it's left.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    They plan on piping the sewage down to the base station for treatment. Getting water up there might be a bigger issue.
    Why? They can ship it in by rail.

Thunder

I hope that the proposed hotel gets stopped, yes mount Washington is a zoo currently but this will just make it worse for wear.
    "In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks." -John Muir
    "Because in the end you won't remember the time you spent working in an office or mowing your lawn. Climb that ******* Mountain!" - Jack Kerouac

Images

I don;t think it is a big deal. I say go for it. It is private land. Of course, It will piss off all the rich hikers in Boston (except those that have Cog Ownership), but it offers Jobs to the locals. How much more can it damage all the crap that is there already, including the movable circus.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    I don;t think it is a big deal. I say go for it. It is private land. Of course, It will piss off all the rich hikers in Boston (except those that have Cog Ownership), but it offers Jobs to the locals. How much more can it damage all the crap that is there already, including the movable circus.
    Private land is routinely subject to restrictions -- not sure wheryou live, but I suspect that your neighbors could not start a commercial hog farm next door. Good, right?

This would be worse.

I hope ATC is planning to fight this forcefully. I'll be disappointed if they don't.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I hope ATC is planning to fight this forcefully. I'll be disappointed if they don't.
    Hopefully the ATC will fight this. I would like to see a compromise worked out that keeps any development near the Base Station.

Meanwhile, I expect the AMC will be biting their tongue to keep from calling the kettle black.

Images

yes but this isn't a hog farm now is it...?
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

much ado over nothin'

Images

BTW, I work out of MBO, so I know you're not one of those Rich Cogs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++