WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Amazon - USPS - General Delivery

You are on the trail and need to order something from Amazon. Your only option is General Delivery to a Post Office.

During a recent ‘test purchase’ I was presented with 4 delivery options:

Amazon Prime
    Standard Shipping
    Two-Day Shipping
    One-Day Shipping

Which delivery service would you use to guarantee that Amazon will use USPS and not UPS or FEDEX?

Thank you for your time in responding.

so your assumption is that the other carriers would refuse to deliver a parcel to the post office? i never really considered that. i know usps outsources a fair amount of their parcels to ups (my father works for usps and at least thats what he has told me), so i doubt it would be an issue. have you tried it and confirmed it to fail?

Journal Entries

UPS will not deliver to post office

Even though there is hybrid service today where po delivers packages that go partway via ups. (UPS sure post)

Most amazon shipmnts are ups

You have no control over shipping method. They use whats cheapest.

If you address it to po box, they will ship usps, they have to.

General delivery probably same. If its accepted.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-03-2016 at 08:17.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
    so your assumption is that the other carriers would refuse to deliver a parcel to the post office? i never really considered that. i know usps outsources a fair amount of their parcels to ups (my father works for usps and at least thats what he has told me), so i doubt it would be an issue. have you tried it and confirmed it to fail?
    Thank you for your reply.

It is my understanding that UPS/FEDEX will not deliver to a PO.

Reference your suggestion, I would not want to buy anything from Amazon without being sure that they would use USPS or I would be concerned that I would not receive my order.

Journal Entries

I don't think Amazon will deliver CO general delivery at all - not sure about PO boxes. Also Amazon wants to select the shipping method themselves. That is part of their business model.

I think recently you can now get UPS/Fedex packages delivered to the PO, as in having a PO box. At one time the PO really heald those boxes tightly, now they realized that people really need that service and proviced that, but again I don't think that applies to General delivery.

Also you really don't want to send to a PO unless it was very necessary, but to a hostel or outfitter, PO hours are rather strict and not on a thru hikers time table. Imagine getting in at 4 pm Saturday and having to wait till Monday morning to get your package. I have seen that more then once on trail. Just altering your hike to make it on time is not fun either. Try to send to someplace where you can pick it up 24/7 if you can.

The only reason to send it to a PO over another place is when you will need to repack and bounce (resent to next location), all at once.

Thank you for the replies and the advice. I never had a problem whilst on the AT in 14 but as stated, there is now no guarantee that Amazon will use USPS. I will go for the alternative options and avoid General Delivery. Again, thank you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post

I think recently you can now get UPS/Fedex packages delivered to the PO, as in having a PO box. At one time the PO really heald those boxes tightly, now they realized that people really need that service and proviced that, but again I don't think that applies to General delivery.
    Yep. One can have UPS/FedEx sent to their post office IF they have signed a piece of paper allowing the post office to accept packages. I think this is more common in smaller towns... I personally have all UPS/FedEx packages sent to my post office. All I have to do is use the street address of the post office, as well as my box number just like it was an apartment. I have been doing things this way for many years.

I am pretty certain my post office will not accept general delivery items from UPS/FedEx.

I agree. I believe that the only guaranteed way to have it ship USPS is to have it sent to a rented PO box at the desired pick up location.
    "May the four winds blow you safely home ..." ​Garcia, Kreutzmann, & Hunter

Amazon will delivery to General Delivery when you provide them with the General Delivery Address as travelers such as thru-hikers use. Since UPS and FedEx does not directly deliver to USPO's my best guess is the USPS is somehow used entirely or in part to mail to USPO's. UPS and FedEX does not mail to PO addresses. Easy way around that though by renaming a PO as a Suite Box using MailBoxes Etc. which is essentially what MailBoxes Etc. does.

Don't know if that answers your question but I've received items like shoes that were ordered through Amazon while traveling and on trail. No problems. The one thing I would advise you check is if the specific USPO location you intend to have something delivered to using the General Delivery option accepts and how long it holds General Delivery mail. By far all but one or two USPO's I've ever used don't offer General Delivery service. Some USPO's definitely do hold packages delivered via General Delivery longer than others though. Most times its at least 30 days. With a ph call will hold longer if they have the space. Small USPO locations may not always have sufficient storage space to hold items for very long periods

Amazon has a very cozy and unique relationship with the USPS. I'm watching to see how that develops as Amazon already has built 15 package storage centers that is used in a unique relationships with the USPS.

THX WaterRat. Did not know that. I stand corrected. TU so much.

I ordered a Katadyn filter from amazon and had it shipped general d. to Warner springs, ca po. I'm a prime member, so it should have gotten there the next day. Maybe the day after. it was delayed 4 or 5 days....
    Hey, sometime, when you got nothin better to do, go try hanging around in Warner Springs for 4 or 5 days 😊

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    I ordered a Katadyn filter from amazon and had it shipped general d. to Warner springs, ca po. I'm a prime member, so it should have gotten there the next day. Maybe the day after. it was delayed 4 or 5 days....
    Hey, sometime, when you got nothin better to do, go try hanging around in Warner Springs for 4 or 5 days
    LOL!
    The DumbPost plan that UPS, FedEx and USPS came up with adds 1-2 days to the previous single carrier scheme.
    Go figure.
    The USPS claims to be homeless person and General Delivery mail friendly. A conversation with someone at FedEx and UPS above the phone order taker from the standpoint of money spending customer temporarily without a fixed address might be fruitful. In a perfect world, the ATC would join in and advocate for thru hikers in this matter.
    When I grow up, I want to be an Advocate. They get to go to neat places and be on TV a lot.
    Jeff, if you about the delay up front, you could have hitched to/from an REI store faster. Roll Tide!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

well, that filter was for my hikin bud, who wound up stiff in me on that filter. it's alright; I knew he didn't have any $$$, but I also knew he needed the filter. But -- I'm still glad he had to hang around counting the cows for 4 or 5 days.. Serves him right!

You can actually order from Amazon and trick them into send packages via USPS and not UPS or FedEX. Instead of shipping it to "General Delivery", ship it to "PO Box General Delivery." The "PO Box" designation tells Amazon that they must ship it USPS. I ordered about 5+ packages this year while thru-hiking the CDT+PNT and received them all.

At the first PO, I asked the clerk whether doing this was an issue, and he said it was absolutely no problem, so I never asked again. Because most packages were shoes, they all arrived via Priority Mail. I had one package that arrived First Class, but it was probably because I only ordered a <12 oz. item, a camera tripod. Amazon Prime made no difference. Packages will most likely come via Priority Mail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by firesign View Post
    You are on the trail and need to order something from Amazon. Your only option is General Delivery to a Post Office.

During a recent ‘test purchase’ I was presented with 4 delivery options:

Amazon Prime
    Standard Shipping
    Two-Day Shipping
    One-Day Shipping

Which delivery service would you use to guarantee that Amazon will use USPS and not UPS or FEDEX?

Thank you for your time in responding.
    UPS delivers Millions of partials to your post offices everyday I worked there for 7 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++