WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MSR Titan Kettle

ISO: MSR Titan kettle. May consider other similar products, but key features I need are a) similar volume and b) a lid that stays secure (ideally without holding) while pouring into freezer bags for meals. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
    ISO: MSR Titan kettle. May consider other similar products, but key features I need are a) similar volume and b) a lid that stays secure (ideally without holding) while pouring into freezer bags for meals. Thanks
    Just to be clear, you are looking for a USED MSR Titan kettle? Because the product is still offered at tons of stores.

If your sole purpose of this product is for pouring boiling water into freezer/dehy bags, why don't you take a look at this:

https://www.rei.com/product/768513/g...FQ4uaQodQ_wA9Q

Yes, its the world's longest URL!

Back to the GSI kettle. It holds almost a full litre, the lid is secure, it heats way quick and best of all....its only 25 bucks brand new at REI....can you tell I've used/use one?

BTW, I prefer aluminum to titanium for better heat distribution for faster boiling times...YMMV...the GSI kettle does weigh a whole ounce more than the titanium MSR Titan kettle, but holds .10 litre more liquid...and costs less than half...

that gsi style kettle above is fine for just boiling water. I have used both types. Drawbacks to gsi kettle are 1.8 oz heavier, a bit harder to store stuff in, and less versatile if you decide to cook other stuff, use it as a cup/ bowl, etc

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    that gsi style kettle above is fine for just boiling water... less versatile if you decide to cook other stuff, use it as a cup/ bowl, etc
    Bingo - it can only boil water, the ultimate in unitasking.

OP was only seeking info on kettles whose lids stay on whilst pouring boiling water into a bag. I prefaced my post with the caveat that the the GSI was unitasking and that it was an ounce over the weight of the MSR...F F S ...and then cited salient facts if all you were doing was boiling water, like faster heat times(less fuel) and dramatically reduced cost with a 10 percent increase in liquid capacity. Of course a kettle isn't going to be useful for cooking things in.......sheesh....

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    OP was only seeking info on kettles whose lids stay on whilst pouring boiling water into a bag. I prefaced my post with the caveat that the the GSI was unitasking and that it was an ounce over the weight of the MSR...F F S ...and then cited salient facts if all you were doing was boiling water, like faster heat times(less fuel) and dramatically reduced cost with a 10 percent increase in liquid capacity. Of course a kettle isn't going to be useful for cooking things in.......sheesh....
    No one was disputing your post. Kettle is a fine option if you know you're always doing water. Simply stating other uses that the OP may or may not value at some point.

Aluminum doesn't heat faster than Titanium when boiling water. Better heat dispersion depending upon thickness (and weight!), although thin Al is only slightly better at best for actual cooking.

I've tested this myself, but some will not let go of the myth in spite of concrete evidence.

I'm sure that science is correct.
    Another myth: titanium cookware is lighter than aluminum. Sometimes. Not always. It depends. Only a scale will have the proof.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

The problem with the graph, and the post below it is the thickness of the metal is not taken into account. Al will be thicker, and uses the thickness and the properties of AL to distribute that heat pretty efficiently. Ti is thinner, does not conduct heat as well, but because it is thin the heat gets to the water quickly. Thus in a boil water test they will be about the same but TI will have a much more concentrated hot zone while AL will have it more spread out. This comes into play when cooking, as opposed to boiling water, things will burn easier with a thin Ti pot because those spots are so hot, while the area under the flame is comparatively cool.

Yes the same heat energy is getting through the pot, but distributed much differently.

The difference in thickness does also play into the weight so Ti is not always lighter, and per unit volumn actually heavier then AL.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    WB is like the family dinner table - conversations, once started, have a life of their own. No harm or offense was intended, and none should be taken. Usually.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Aluminum doesn't heat faster than Titanium when boiling water. Better heat dispersion depending upon thickness (and weight!), although thin Al is only slightly better at best for actual cooking.

I've tested this myself, but some will not let go of the myth in spite of concrete evidence.
    The evidence indicates a pretty small difference that is very likely moot outside the lab on the trail.

Even for cooking the difference is very little. I've burned oatmeal in both using BRS, SP Giga, JB and even an alcohol stove.

The only way to truly reduce the hot spot with these small, thin pots—whether Al or Ti—is to get a stove with a wide burner head and fine simmer control. Or use something like a Scorchbuster or similar MYOG heat diffuser.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 12-04-2016 at 20:56.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Even for cooking the difference is very little. I've burned oatmeal in both using BRS, SP Giga, JB and even an alcohol stove.

The only way to truly reduce the hot spot with these small, thin pots—whether Al or Ti—is to get a stove with a wide burner head and fine simmer control. Or use something like a Scorchbuster or similar MYOG heat diffuser.
    You will find that an anodized aluminum pot cleans better/easier than titanium.

Optimus Crux and CruxLite have wide burners and, once warmed up, have very good flame control.

I have a MSR Titan kettle for sale, $35 includes shipping to lower 48. PM me if you're interested.

IMG_3559.JPG

No longer needed, thanks!

++ New Posts ++