WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Question for Ring-Wearing Hiking Gals

I keep seeing ads for Qalo silicone rings. Until this popped into my feed, I hadn't even thought about wearing or not wearing my regular wedding band for day or section hikes--although now that I think about it, I can see the advantages--especially if you're used to wearing a ring (and don't want to go without) and don't want to deal with swelling issues, or the potential safety hazard if it gets caught on something. What, if anything, are you folks doing/have you done about rings? Does anyone have any experience with wearing a Qalo ring? Any reason to not bother and just go with your regular wedding band or another option? Truth is, I'd rather not go bare-fingered (is that even a phrase?!) but not so sure that this silicone ring is necessary. Your thoughts? Thanks.

Images

I didn't wear my wedding band and engagement ring for any of my section hikes. Generally went bare handed if short hike or if longer and wanted a band I had a cheap costume band I wore. For my 2017 thru hike I am planning on getting an inexpensive thin plain band so no worries if lost, scraped or decide to take off. Point of thin is so I'm not fussing with it when dirt, sweat and grime get under it. I never had an issue with swelling of my hands to the point of concern with wearing a ring if I chose to. I don't have any experience with Qalo rings, they are cheap and an option. I've been married 39 years so even without my wedding band on, my finger has the ring indent that would take a lot longer than a few days of hiking to change. Think it's a personal choice. I'd say do what you want. Depending on what part of the trail you're hiking may influence your choice to wear a ring or not. NH and Maine, lots of rock scrambling with hands and feet I wouldn't wear my nice wedding band set, too many chances to get caught, scraped and damaged, IMO.

Thanks, Kizzybean. I'm only hiking the end of NY to the Delaware Water Gap but doing it in the middle of the summer and I know the NY section in the heat can be brutal, so I was thinking about swelling in that case. I'm rocking the 17 year indent, so yeah, a week might not cause that to go away too quickly. Thanks for your input and sending you good vibes for an awesome thru-hike!!!!

Not a female but searched this two years ago when my wife got mad because she found out I was leaving my wedding band in the car during backpacking trips. I purchased from here: http://www.saferingz.com. I now wear this anytime I am on the trail. It was cheaper than what you are looking at. Works well and washes up nicely. Just so you have options if your husband is like my wife!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Also not a female, but I love my Qalo ring. I also don't like to go bare-fingered and the Qalo has solved all issues for me. I don't even notice it's there. When I had a metal band I would mess with it constantly and was always concerned I would lose it when my hands were cold. No issues now. A well spent $20 for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear a diamond right hand ring from my parents and a thin gold ring from my sisters. I never take them off. They've done well on short sections, a 3 week summer section, and, so far, my 5 week winter section, but I'm only a few days in.

I use poles, so my hands don't swell that much in the summer. I guess I should probably clean this ring at some point. It's seen over 800 miles this year and I haven't bothered to clean it yet

Images

My wife and I bought a pair from http://www.saferingz.com/ and we are very pleased with the product they make. A finger injury in the backcountry combined with a ring that won't come off due to swelling could be a really bad way to end a trip.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I have worn my wedding band on all of my hikes and never had an issue. That being said, it is smooth. I don't think you would have an issue wearing your ring.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Default Question for Ring-Wearing Hiking Gals

I wear a Qalo full time as I hate the feel of a hard metal band. Wore gold the first 10 years of marriage, no ring for the next 10, and the Qalo for the past year. Holds up well. I bought mine a size larger than what I am sized for and it's perfect. Luckily, my local outfitter had them in stock so I could try them on. Wife is much happier now.

Images

No rings for me on the trail, easier to keep clean no chance of losing them.

After my wife lost her wedding ring, I jokingly suggested getting a tattoo ring. She liked the idea, and within a few days had booked appointments for us both. We've been very happy with the results..... No ring to lose or cause injury, and it looks unique.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    After my wife lost her wedding ring, I jokingly suggested getting a tattoo ring. She liked the idea, and within a few days had booked appointments for us both. We've been very happy with the results..... No ring to lose or cause injury, and it looks unique.
    Interesting.
    I cant wear rings in plant at work, no ring policy.
    For first few yrs I took it off, left in desk
    Then started just not wearing at all to work to prevent loss
    Pretty soon, forget to wear on weekends either, and it feels as strange as day first put on to wear now. Only wear when get dressed up for the most part. thats the only time I remember to put on.

I get attention of women sometime that obviously think Im single because dont have a ring on
    Tattoo would be kind of interesting.

I certainly dont wear my ring hiking, or feel a need to
    I suppose OP wants to fend off unwanted advances...or believes they need to for some reason.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-12-2016 at 12:06.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Not a female but searched this two years ago when my wife got mad because she found out I was leaving my wedding band in the car during backpacking trips. I purchased from here: http://www.saferingz.com. I now wear this anytime I am on the trail. It was cheaper than what you are looking at. Works well and washes up nicely. Just so you have options if your husband is like my wife!
    Sorry for the thread drift, but I do think this is kind of funny. Do people really think a ring makes any difference in their fidelity? I borrowed a ring for my wedding ceremony (27 years ago, thank you) and except for that half hour I have never worn a ring in my life.

My wife does not care, she either trusts me or she doesn't. She knows what matters is what is in the heart.

I have had women comment on my lack of a wedding ring. I am surprised some people actually check for these things. Is that a thing? I guess it is. I have known single guys who claim that they have better chance picking up women in bars if they are wearing a fake wedding ring. I guess some people are looking for 'no strings attached' fun. Me, I am totally clueless about such things. I just hate the feeling of rings, watches or jewelry on me. I don't wear any of them. I find wearing clothes burdensome enough.

To the OP, I suggest do what makes you comfortable and feel safe. Myself, I don't see the need for a wedding ring on the trail.
    Last edited by imscotty; 12-12-2016 at 13:49.

Images

My wife stopped wearing her engagement/wedding ring set years ago, and we got her a nice gold band with Celtic engraving. Looks nice, doesn't snag on anything, can't lose the diamond.

At a brewery the other day, the barkeep was wearing one of those silicone rings and raved about it. She said her wedding set would cut holes in gloves and was otherwise uncomfortable to wear all day on the job (hands swelling), and the silicone ring solves everything. She has several in different colors.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

my wife wears her band, but not her diamond. after losing mine on the trail a few years back, i leave mine at home now too.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I leave my engagement ring home and wear my band to hike. If my hand seems to be swelling, I take the ring off and hook it in the band of the watch I'm wearing.

-FA

I left my diamonds at home on my thru- but I wore my husbands original wedding ring (too small for him now) on a gold chain around my neck. My hands swell up sometimes when I'm hiking, especially if I'm not using my poles, so that was comfortable for me. I loved having that ring with me and it never got in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Sorry for the thread drift, but I do think this is kind of funny. Do people really think a ring makes any difference in their fidelity? I borrowed a ring for my wedding ceremony (27 years ago, thank you) and except for that half hour I have never worn a ring in my life.

My wife does not care, she either trusts me or she doesn't. She knows what matters is what is in the heart.

I have had women comment on my lack of a wedding ring. I am surprised some people actually check for these things. Is that a thing? I guess it is. I have known single guys who claim that they have better chance picking up women in bars if they are wearing a fake wedding ring. I guess some people are looking for 'no strings attached' fun. Me, I am totally clueless about such things. I just hate the feeling of rings, watches or jewelry on me. I don't wear any of them. I find wearing clothes burdensome enough.

To the OP, I suggest do what makes you comfortable and feel safe. Myself, I don't see the need for a wedding ring on the trail.
    Totally understand what you are saying. It can be a trust issue. But for a different perspective, to my wife it is not about other people or trust. It is a symbol between us and our commitment to each other from day one. I am just as clueless as you about such things. But it is such a simple thing asked of me by my wife, why not find an option that won't cost me my finger on the trail or damage the more expensive Gold Band. Yet, at the same time, allow me time on the trail that is not a shared activity with the wife. She's with me in spirit as a symbol around my finger.

I agree with you... What matters is what is in the heart. In this case, my wife appreciated me finding a rubber ring to wear.

Back to the thread which now has people mentioning Saferings, Qualo's and now possibly Tattoos!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

You must have more important things to worry about. I have backpacked thousands of miles with a simple gold band. No issues whatsoever. It's probably more dangerous wearing a wedding ring off the trail, in terms of accidents. Maybe, there is a chance of a little dirt under the ring, but dirt and hiking go together.

If you do chose to go Silicone check on Amazon.
    You can get sets of 5 or 6 rings in different colors for around 10 bucks.

Hitch
    "May the four winds blow you safely home ..." ​Garcia, Kreutzmann, & Hunter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++