WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Sorry if I started this trouble.
    I think it's interesting that there'll be another group hike on MLK weekend.
    I was just wondering out loud what would happen if it caught on all over the country, and maybe even beyond.
    Imagine having to pick where you want to hike in the middle of winter.
    You could be on to something here Teacher
    Obviously the idea came from the Harriman MLK hikes, so I take no credit for that. The only reason for the relocation is that the weather seems consistently unreliable in Harriman this weekend. SO LI, I'm going to credit you with the idea of a multi-location MLK hike, and yeah, I think you might be on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    What if there was an MLK weekend 'Thru-hike? What I mean is groups up and down the AT hike short sections over that weekend that all add up to one big group thru-hike equivalent. OK, I can see the '100 mile wilderness' and Winter in the Whites pose serious problems. But if we could at least get something going for a section in each of the fourteen states, that would be something. A Maryland Crawl, a Pennsylvania Promenade, a Maine Mosey, and so on. This could become something. My idea of fun would be to hook up with a different group in a different state every year on MLK weekend.

OK, maybe I need to stop drinking the Egg Nog. Sorry for my ramblings Teacher. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Night.
    It would be easy enough to arrange assuming there's at least one hiker out there willing to plan out and "host" a day hike in each state (and maybe an extra for VA).
    Oh crud, I think I have a new project for next year.....
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I'm really not sure if I can get Overload to make 14 cheesecakes!
    But she'll have a whole year! Don't they freeze?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Oh Lou, that would be the sweetest thing ever! I'll be riding through on 1/11 if you think she'd really have the time. It would be a cool thing to bring to and share with Farmer Chef and his family, who'll be housing us on this adventure.

The order is in, and we have all the supplies for 2 anyway!!!!

If you come during the day, our shop is right near the old 'Almac Motors' on Route 1. Or home in Saybrook........when do you think you will leave Little Rhody?

I'll probably hit the road around 9am....as soon as the rush hour traffic dies, so I should pull through there around 10:30. I have no real schedule for that day, so I can adjust accordingly. If you want, I'll leave later and we can grab lunch. Whatever works for you as you're the one providing the favor!

I'm pretty sure I'll join you. Feeling the cold lately and don't think I'm prepared for a winter overnight!

We look forward to seeing you there!

Journal Entries
    Images

Looking to put some miles in over the long weekend. Our paths may cross...
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

The Maryland Crawl....'cause that's how slowly I hike.....BUT, I'd gladly speed up to keep pace with fellow WB'ers
    . who'd be interested in joining us on this Martin Luther King Day hike!

MEET:
    Monday, January 16 at 9:00am
    Gathland State Park, 900 Arnoldtown Rd., Jefferson, MD

HIKE:
    Sobo to Keep Tryst Rd., 7.1 mi
    (or for the more intrepid, to Harpers Ferry 10 mi)**

ATTRACTIONS:
    War Correspondents' Memorial
    Wild Goats (along with the old ones hiking)
    Edw. Garvey Shelter
    Weverton Cliffs with spectacular view of Potomac/Shenandoah Confuence
    C&O Canal **
    Historic Harpers Ferry**

ATTENDEES: Come meet where the elite abuse their feet!

Teacher
    Moose
    Furlough
    Farmer Chef, Mama Bear, assorted youngsters
    Speedbump
    Sloger

Anyone I missed?
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 01-08-2017 at 14:20.

Time to bump this.....getting close!

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Time to bump this.....getting close!
    Sorry, Teacher, not this year. For me, it's a lot of driving. Harriman is a lot closer, and on the same weekend.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

No problem Kelvin....I didn't think the Harriman crew would be anywhere but Harriman. Hopefully we'll get together soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'll join you. Feeling the cold lately and don't think I'm prepared for a winter overnight!
    Unfortunately, I have to leave for a business trip on Monday afternoon and won't be able to make it.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    Unfortunately, I have to leave for a business trip on Monday afternoon and won't be able to make it.

Enjoy!
    OK, maybe next time

Images

Teacher - anyone considering hiking into HF?

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    Teacher - anyone considering hiking into HF?

Furlough
    I believe at least 3 from our party are. At least my plan is to pick them up there! I'll be glad to provide rides back to cars, etc.

Images

Add me to the HF list please.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Add me to the HF list please.
    You're on MY list Furlough! It will be great seeing you again, and I think you'll get a kick out of our hiking crew.

Images

I can help with transport if your logistics plan needs some extra seat, truck bed space.

I can help with transport if your logistics plan needs some extra seat, truck bed space.
    Good to know. I 'll pm updated contact info so we can work out any details if need be.

Images

P1111242.JPG

Teacher is on her way South .......with the goods!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++