WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by StillMoving View Post

I'll search later but I need to try and find the extreme temp range of the AT during a 6-7 month stretch...and buy a bag/liner combo that'll keep me warm.

I dunno, I expect the extreme low will be in Feb in Maine or the Whites, which will lead you into buying a -40 bag, and you'll be found dead inside the bag in June in PA when the low temp is 79 and you've literally sweated to death.

If you can be warm enough down to maybe 10-F that's generally fine for an normal nobo AT thru-hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Those days are long gone. If nothing else this is who owns it now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VF_Corporation
    Thanks for all the info.

It's always a bummer to watch a company/companies put quantity above quality.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I dunno, I expect the extreme low will be in Feb in Maine or the Whites, which will lead you into buying a -40 bag, and you'll be found dead inside the bag in June in PA when the low temp is 79 and you've literally sweated to death.

If you can be warm enough down to maybe 10-F that's generally fine for an normal nobo AT thru-hike.
    HAHA! Like a hot pocket in the microwave.

Thanks.

I generally do not find their stuff is worth it. I have a couple NF items, but they were heavily discounted
    I find it to be pretty good stuff, priced as though it's top of the line.

TNF is odd - there are still some some good items at the high end, but they were at the forefront of the "hiker chic" fad and basically became a consumer brand. The jackets and daypacks have basically become suburban uniforms.

I'm kinda at a loss here. What is really the issue . . .

Most, at least semi-reputable, companies make some better stuff and some not-so-good stuff, TNF included. Most good stuff costs more money that we want to pay because their designers, marketers, and manufacturers want to make a living too.

Buy the stuff you like and quit bitching about how what one company or another has done to product you loved in the past isn't to your liking any more. Sure, it would be nice, in some ways, if nothing changed. But companies change, engineers get new ideas that you may or may not like better than before.

Also, to all you penny-pinchers and dollar-whiners, the reason the cloths have gotten cheaper is to hold a precious price point that can't be held in a healthy growing economy without reducing costs. If people bought decent stuff at increasing and profitable (for the designers and manufacturers and distributors) prices, the quality would not drop. Instead, the companies would be pushing the quality and design envelope to win your business instead of the price point and style.

So please, don't wine about price and reduced quality in the same sentence, you're being a sniveling whiner without a leg to stand on.

Vote with your pocketbook!

Again, why get wrapped up in a brand? Buy the gear that does what you want regardless of brand. You might just discover the next great brand than other's haven't noticed yet, but will in the future. Then, you can join the next Chouinard's Army and become a total outdoor geek.

I'm sitting here wearing a Walmart $9.99 fleece pullover that is one of my most worn pieces of shoulder season gear, and has been for several years, because it works and it's fun to wear stupid cheap stuff that works really well. But, my gear room is also full of all kinds of top-of-the-line gear in pieces that cost a lot of money to get the function I want . . . fleece just isn't something that has to cost money to work well . . . even if I really do like Power-Fleece for its warmth per weight along and comfort.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by StillMoving View Post

It's always a bummer to watch a company/companies put quantity above quality.
    Not too much of a bummer in the case of North Face. Doug Tompkins, the founder took his money, moved to South America and started one of the largest land conservation efforts ever run by private citizens. I'd say that has far more value than the brand ever could.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Tompkins
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

For what it's worth, I'm enjoying North Face's increase in popularity, even if the stuff isn't a quite as good. The more that's out there, the more I find it in thrift stores. My go to "beater" puffy jacket is a big North Face down coat that was purchased for less than $50 at a consignment shop. I use that on 90% of my winter trips and leave my more expensive down for the rare trip that I really need something warmer.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Not too much of a bummer in the case of North Face. Doug Tompkins, the founder took his money, moved to South America and started one of the largest land conservation efforts ever run by private citizens. I'd say that has far more value than the brand ever could.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Tompkins
    Gotta give the guy props for all he did.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I'm kinda at a loss here. What is really the issue . . .
    The real issue?

1. My money doesn't grow on a tree in the back yard, so I need to get the best value for each dollar I spend.

2. In years gone by I used North Face stuff with great satisfaction.

3. By no stretch could I be considered an expert in the gear world. Through being given gear, advice from my local REI and just plain dumb luck things worked out well over the years.

4. Couple years back on my last hike, my pack was stolen. As I said this is mostly about a new bag as I need a new one, but all info is good.

5. So North Face is what I'm familiar with and what I defaulted to.

6. I've read here and elsewhere that North Face's quality has dropped, and I need to make sure their stuff is - or isn't - of sufficient quality...as related to a specific item before I guy it.

I understand the entire market thing. But to be honest about it, I don't care. What I do care is that 15 yrs ago I bought this product and the other day I bought another one. And that new one doesn't meet the same quality standards as the other one. And that's worth discussing.

Anyway...good info there nsherry61.

Signed, just a sniveling whiner.
    Last edited by StillMoving; 12-15-2016 at 19:20.

Kenyon is cheap and identical fleece...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Kenyon is cheap and identical fleece...
    Thanks.

Looks like they make military stuff also...I guess: http://www.kenyonconsumer.com/store/home.php?cat=17

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++