WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Opinions On The Best Outerwear Fabric For 2016/2017?

Hi all,

I've been doing research on outerwear fabrics. This article seems to compile a good list of the standards in the industry: http://gearpatrol.com/2016/01/28/wat...ogy-explained/

I'm interested in knowing users' opinions on these fabrics. And also if there are others out there that are good, and compete with the ones listed: Gore-Tex Pro, Toray Dermizax NX, Polartec Neoshell, eVent, and Schoeller c_change.

Let me know, thanks.

For me, this is becoming a learning journey of wonkish Columbus sailing to America proportions. Easier to understand Revelation from the Bible or traits of rare earth supercooled materials.

I'd like to know more about the Toray Dermizax NX and Schtoeller c_change options.

I look at the price and do a rapid calculation on how long and useful a $5 poncho would last.

I do like my llbean neoshell pants, though. Used them a couple years in the rain, slush and snow and they work pretty well.

The factors that matter are water repel and breathability. Both are measured. None of those fabrics is as good an overall combination of both as the DryQ. Elite by Mountain Hardwear. Essentially its eVent at the core, but with superior fabrics on both sides...

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I look at the price and do a rapid calculation on how long and useful a $5 poncho would last.

I do like my llbean neoshell pants, though. Used them a couple years in the rain, slush and snow and they work pretty well.
    That would be interesting seeing a climber, skier, alpinist, snowshoer, mountaineer, or snowboarder in a $5 poncho.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    That would be interesting seeing a climber, skier, alpinist, snowshoer, mountaineer, or snowboarder in a $5 poncho.
    Im going to take pics of myself in $5 poncho's just for you

Imo,Neoshell delivers the most performance,and the new eVents,are ok value.Gore is overpriced and underdelivering ,Dermizax sounds bad idea,in high moisture areas.

The weakest part of all the breathable fabrics in my opinion has been the outer shell/DWR. Once that wets out you may as well be wearing a plastic bag. But I think good ole fashion wool still works pretty damn good in many applications and goose down is still the best sedentary insulator.

All of our high-speed technology and mother nature is still whipping our ass.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    The weakest part of all the breathable fabrics in my opinion has been the outer shell/DWR. Once that wets out you may as well be wearing a plastic bag.
    Agree, but with proper maintenance, one can avoid this wetting out. Basically, "reinvigorating" the DWR on a, say, goretex pro jacket, can make the water bead up and slough off nicely, at least for a while. I swear by goretex pro for the real SHTF stuff (like high altitude mountaineering), and before every big trip, I gently wash and reapply a nik wax DWR product, then "dry it in" to the outer fabric, and voila, rain/snow beads up nicely for the next month or so, and the jacket breathes like a charm.

I also swear by schoeller fabrics, no experience with the others.

Images

Since you asked: I've had several brands and variations of "water-proof" backpacking gear over the years. Coats, pants, boots/shoes. In the end, it's lots of marketing puffery and bombastic promises. NONE of it holds up long nor keeps me dry during heavy exertion (backpacking) and ALL of it is way over-priced to have to treat and re-treat over and over for every trip. And in the end, it's not actually water-proof.

MY experience teaches me that actual water-proof fabric is better for actually being water-proof and pit-zips are better for actual breathability.

The other stuff is wishful thinking, i.e., false advertising.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 12-20-2016 at 11:01.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

And then there's user error, and too high of expectations....

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Since you asked: I've had several brands and variations of "water-proof" backpacking gear over the years. Coats, pants, boots/shoes. In the end, it's lots of marketing puffery and bombastic promises. NONE of it holds up long nor keeps me dry during heavy exertion (backpacking) and ALL of it is way over-priced to have to treat and re-treat over and over for every trip. And in the end, it's not actually water-proof.

MY experience teaches me that actual water-proof fabric is better for actually being water-proof and pit-zips are better for actual breathability.

Same for me +1

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

In my experience nothing is both waterproof and breathable for long in the rain. A very light wind shirt and well vented rain shell (poncho or Packa), each used as needed, works for me.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    In my experience nothing is both waterproof and breathable for long in the rain. A very light wind shirt and well vented rain shell (poncho or Packa), each used as needed, works for me.
    True.

Though the disposable Tyvek environmental wear is pretty waterproof. I'm still thinking about hiking in it though. Ponchos have really been good to me, all in all.

++ New Posts ++