WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sliding around on my pad (NeoAir xLite).

Used my neoAir xLite for the first time last night (typically used a zSol) and I wiggle a lot while sleeping. I found that every time I rolled over I was sliding all over the tent like I was on ice skates. Is this normal and people just deal with it? Has anyone found a solution? Adding some friction tape or something?

similar question for my "pillow". It was constantly sliding off the pad when I adjusted. Do any of you add Velcro to attach the two or am I ridiculous for considering this?

Pillow is easy — use an Exped UL pillow and thread an elastic strap through it to hold it onto the air mat.

A wider air mattress (a topic for which you have another thread) will help with the mattress sliding out. For a while I tried the Xlite short and it really didn't work out what with my elbows dangling off all night and the Xlite sliding out from under me all night like a greased pig. Another thing that helps with this problem and also increases comfort is to let a lot of air out of the air mattress so that it better conforms to body contours.

The Xlite large (25"x77") will help with that a lot, as will pitching the tent on a perfectly level spot... the slightest bit of slope will lead to the air mat migrating during the night. It also helps to put a few stripes of Seam Grip on the bottom of the air mattress and a few stripes on the floor of the tent where the air mattress is placed. You want the stripes on the floor of the tent to be perpendicular to those on the air mattress.

One caveat...... if your tent floor is silnylon, Seam Grip is not the product you want to use because it will start peeling up quickly. In that instance, use Sil Net. And no, Sil Net will not work with the air mattress.

I added some silicone stripes to the bottom of my Klymit pad. I just used some bathroom silicone and "drew" lines on the bulbous parts that touch the ground, smoothed and flattened them with a finger and let them dry. Works great.

A small square of that shelf-lining material they sell in Wal-Mart works too. Stick it between the tent floor and your pad under your torso area. I've also had great luck taking a small square (20" by 20") of an old Gossamer Gear 1/8 inch foam pad and using that. Sticky as hell and works on silnylon shelter floors also. Makes a great sit pad also.

The anti-slip rubber mats is an easy solution. If you don't want to add any bulk (or very little...) paint some silicone stripes on the mat and crossway on the floor.
    If your floor has a PU coating will feel slightly rubbery so you don't need silicone there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    A small square of that shelf-lining material they sell in Wal-Mart works too. Stick it between the tent floor and your pad under your torso area. I've also had great luck taking a small square (20" by 20") of an old Gossamer Gear 1/8 inch foam pad and using that. Sticky as hell and works on silnylon shelter floors also. Makes a great sit pad also.
    +1

The GG foam pad works great for this. I use a full length 1/8" GG under the inflatable. It only weighs 2.6 ounces and it protects the pad while preventing slipping and adding some insulation.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

sYLNET SILICONE POLKO DOTS START WITH 20 IF YOU KEEP SLIDING, ADD 10 MORE TILL YOU DONT. FRIEND DID THIS WITH GREAT RESULTS
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    sYLNET SILICONE POLKO DOTS START WITH 20 IF YOU KEEP SLIDING, ADD 10 MORE TILL YOU DONT. FRIEND DID THIS WITH GREAT RESULTS
    I tried it in an old Taptent Double Rainbow and it seemed to make no difference. Admittedly that was with the original NeoAir pad, which was almost comically slippery.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

+1 for the GG thin pads under an XLite. I ended up using it because I didn't want to make any modifications for my gear yet. So far it does the trick for the most part.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    I tried it in an old Taptent Double Rainbow and it seemed to make no difference. Admittedly that was with the original NeoAir pad, which was almost comically slippery.
    I tried that in a new TT DR with a NeoAir XLite and greased pig wasn't the word. I ended up deflating the pad a little and sticking it inside my bag- that was the only thing that worked.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

A GG thinlite pad is an excellent addition to one's kit. It works great underneath an xlite and adds some protection and warmth to it. I don't get why they don't make the thinlite pads in a full length though.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    A GG thinlite pad is an excellent addition to one's kit. It works great underneath an xlite and adds some protection and warmth to it. I don't get why they don't make the thinlite pads in a full length though.
    Ha. I emailed them today to see if I could get a 72" length of the 1/8" ThinLight pad and they responded saying that they're only available in the size listed on their website. No other options available.

BTW, the point of my video is that both dotting/striping the floor and the bottom of the mat works better than just one or the other.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Oware sells a 3/16" pad thats full length , about 5 oz. Its plastazote not evazote.
    Lawson dabbled in pads a few yrs back offering one too

Its hard to get mfgs to do production runs for the small scale needed.

I used one 1/8" under xlite for protection in cactus country where ground was carpeted with needles. Also as sit pad. I had to meticulously go over every inch of the pad to remove embedded things each night before putting under xlite. At least 30 minutes.

Dont do double duty as sitpad in SW if using under xlite.

In other areas ive spread it on ground to sit no issues

The gg 1/8" is nice, unlike much ccf, it has no memory and unrolls totally flat.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-03-2017 at 04:46.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Oware sells a 3/16" pad thats full length , about 5 oz. Its plastazote not evazote.
    Lawson dabbled in pads a few yrs back offering one too

Its hard to get mfgs to do production runs for the small scale needed.

I used one 1/8" under xlite for protection in cactus country where ground was carpeted with needles. Also as sit pad. I had to meticulously go over every inch of the pad to remove embedded things each night before putting under xlite. At least 30 minutes.

Dont do double duty as sitpad in SW if using under xlite.

In other areas ive spread it on ground to sit no issues

The gg 1/8" is nice, unlike much ccf, it has no memory and unrolls totally flat.
    At 5 whopping Oz's I'd have to pass. However, how you utilize a thin lite is the best reason to use one if you camp where the ground is trying to kill your inflatable. However, with the foam pad not as long as your xlite.. assuming your using a full length. How did you protect the ends of your xlite from the pointy stuff. If your using a torso or short. Then it's a moot point. I wish I could use a torso length neoair. I for one, can't get comfy on one to save my life. My legs like to be elevated slightly at night. Not hanging off a pad. That's another subject though. A thinlite is a nice addition as a sitpad, frame sheet for a frameless pack, and of course to protect an inflatable pad. Good place to lay out gear too.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++