WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Default Hostels for Sale?

    I'm interested in buying a hostel in the North Georgia area. Other than the Hiker Hostel which is for sale at 800k, I haven't found any down south. We own property close to Newfound Gap in Tn and have thought about building and have a separate living quarters for hikers. At this point we would prefer Georgia instead. If you hear of any for sale please reply. Thanks. Happy Trails!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2

    Default

    Hey just curious, which hostel is for sale @ "800k"? I'm figuring you mean AT NOBO Mi. 498. Rhododendron gap? That's the south end of the Grayson Highlands above Damascus - not sure what's there. Then there's 3 Springs Hostel B&B AT NOBO Mi. 806.1 near Buena Vista VA. Too far north than what I think you want. I ask because we're selling a NC property and looking around the AT for something too. Not necessarily a hostel. Thanks

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    18,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Roaming Gnome View Post
    I'm interested in buying a hostel in the North Georgia area. Other than the Hiker Hostel which is for sale at 800k, I haven't found any down south. We own property close to Newfound Gap in Tn and have thought about building and have a separate living quarters for hikers. At this point we would prefer Georgia instead. If you hear of any for sale please reply. Thanks. Happy Trails!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any particular hiker group you aim to service?

    Decent amount of hostels serving the AT GA market already.

    Have you personally had frank discussions with existing hiker hostel owners that have as a large part of their customers AT users?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Just because somethings not for sale , dont mean owners wont consider.
    Sometimes its a lot of work to actively sell things. I have some very desireable property I get many offers on each year by people looking me up from tax rolls. I want to sell it. But I dont have time to fool with it, and...Id rather have that money in real estate than stock market at current time. (trump rally aside)

    Some hostels are run by retired people. sometimes one of the spouses die. The remaining spouse might be willing to entertain offers. This has happened this year. It would be crass to name names but Id make some calls if I thought I had a viable business case and its what I wanted to do. The worst someone will say is thank you, but Im not interested at this time.

    It isnt easy to sell this sort of business. Most owners know that too. This can influence decisions. Josh and Leigh have had the Hiker Hostel listed for several years now for a reason, to try to get top $, because they know when you HAVE to sell it in a defined period, your going to get less. Maybe a lot less.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-17-2016 at 12:54.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    18,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Just because somethings not for sale , dont mean owners wont consider.
    Sometimes its a lot of work to actively sell things. I have some very desireable property I get many offers on each year by people looking me up from tax rolls. I want to sell it. But I dont have time to fool with it, and...Id rather have that money in real estate than stock market at current time. (trump rally aside)

    Some hostels are run by retired people. sometimes one of the spouses die. The remaining spouse might be willing to entertain offers. This has happened this year. It would be crass to name names but Id make some calls if I thought I had a viable business case and its what I wanted to do. The worst someone will say is thank you, but Im not interested at this time.

    It isnt easy to sell this sort of business. Most owners know that too. This can influence decisions. Josh and Leigh have had the Hiker Hostel listed for several years now for a reason, to try to get top $, because they know when you HAVE to sell it in a defined period, your going to get less. Maybe a lot less.
    Well, Josh and Lee aren't just selling a Hostel as if it's a separated biz entity from their personal home and land. The Hiker Hostel is an integrated segment of their entire home and lifestyle. They are selling a home and land with an integrated Hostel with the asking price that includes intangible assets.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Any particular hiker group you aim to service?

    Decent amount of hostels serving the AT GA market already.

    Have you personally had frank discussions with existing hiker hostel owners that have as a large part of their customers AT users?

    I've only spoken to the Saints who own the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega. They cater to the hiking community and biking.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Well, Josh and Lee aren't just selling a Hostel as if it's a separated biz entity from their personal home and land. The Hiker Hostel is an integrated segment of their entire home and lifestyle. They are selling a home and land with an integrated Hostel with the asking price that includes intangible assets.
    I dont argue with that. But facts is facts.
    Josh admitted to wanting top dollar, and they werent that serious about selling otherwise.
    Which is why its been listed for years.

    Im sure they have had a few offers in the last several years they declined, its a great business, but largely because the outstanding work they put into it, at bargain prices.
    It would be very easy for someone wanting to wring more profit out of it to totally screw it up IMO. I think it has to be a labor of love, moreso than a business.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-17-2016 at 13:18.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimskywheel View Post
    Hey just curious, which hostel is for sale @ "800k"? I'm figuring you mean AT NOBO Mi. 498. Rhododendron gap? That's the south end of the Grayson Highlands above Damascus - not sure what's there. Then there's 3 Springs Hostel B&B AT NOBO Mi. 806.1 near Buena Vista VA. Too far north than what I think you want. I ask because we're selling a NC property and looking around the AT for something too. Not necessarily a hostel. Thanks

    The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, Ga.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Just because somethings not for sale , dont mean owners wont consider.
    Sometimes its a lot of work to actively sell things. I have some very desireable property I get many offers on each year by people looking me up from tax rolls. I want to sell it. But I dont have time to fool with it, and...Id rather have that money in real estate than stock market at current time. (trump rally aside)

    Some hostels are run by retired people. sometimes one of the spouses die. The remaining spouse might be willing to entertain offers. This has happened this year. It would be crass to name names but Id make some calls if I thought I had a viable business case and its what I wanted to do. The worst someone will say is thank you, but Im not interested at this time.

    It isnt easy to sell this sort of business. Most owners know that too. This can influence decisions. Josh and Leigh have had the Hiker Hostel listed for several years now for a reason, to try to get top $, because they know when you HAVE to sell it in a defined period, your going to get less. Maybe a lot less.

    Good points. Maybe we'll just build on the property we own in Tennessee. We are pretty close to the AT. We are 10 miles outside of Gatlinburg. Maybe just offer rooms to hikers, pickup and drop off.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    18,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I dont argue with that. But facts is facts.
    Josh admitted to wanting top dollar, and they werent that serious about selling otherwise.
    Which is why its been listed for years.

    Im sure they have had a few offers in the last several years they declined, its a great business, but largely because the outstanding work they put into it, at bargain prices.
    It would be very easy for someone wanting to wring more profit out of it to totally screw it up IMO. I think it has to be a labor of love, moreso than a business.
    Yes, and as you rightly pointed out it has been a LABOR of love that has only become what it has, one of the best hostels for AT hikers, through constant long term devotion and development.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Roaming Gnome View Post
    The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, Ga...
    If you're serious owning and operating a hiker hostel I suggest you consider talks with Bob Peoples of Kincora Hostel, Curtis Owen of Standing Bear, Winton Porter of Walasi Yi and several others, maybe who are in the earlier stages of developing a hostel who run AT hiker hostels so you get a feel for different perspectives and approaches on running an AT hiker related hostel.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Roaming Gnome View Post
    Good points. Maybe we'll just build on the property we own in Tennessee. We are pretty close to the AT. We are 10 miles outside of Gatlinburg. Maybe just offer rooms to hikers, pickup and drop off.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That could be an option, starting off slowly getting your feet wet before a huge resource investment. Again, many times running a AT hiker Hostel is more a labor of love than running a hugely profitable biz. And as Muddy Waters said selling to exit, because running a hiker hostel isn't all you thought it would be or what you wanted to invest, can be difficult.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    18,092

    Default

    Sir Packs A Lot My wish was answered. TU for posting.

  12. #12

    Default Hostels for Sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Yes, and as you rightly pointed out it has been a LABOR of love that has only become what it has, one of the best hostels for AT hikers, through constant long term devotion and development.



    If you're serious owning and operating a hiker hostel I suggest you consider talks with Bob Peoples of Kincora Hostel, Curtis Owen of Standing Bear, Winton Porter of Walasi Yi and several others, maybe who are in the earlier stages of developing a hostel who run AT hiker hostels so you get a feel for different perspectives and approaches on running an AT hiker related hostel.



    That could be an option, starting off slowly getting your feet wet before a huge resource investment. Again, many times running a AT hiker Hostel is more a labor of love than running a hugely profitable biz. And as Muddy Waters said selling to exit, because running a hiker hostel isn't all you thought it would be or what you wanted to invest, can be difficult.
    I'm thru-hiking beginning in March. There will be no better opportunity to meet and chat with the owners of the hostels along the trail. Thank you for the advice.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    18,092

    Default

    @ Roaming Gnome
    TU for your decency
    All my Best DDubs

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •