WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Clarks Ferry to Duncannon or Port Clinton to PA 183

I am planning to section hike later this week, Tuesday or Wednesday, doing either Clarks Ferry to Duncannon, or Port Clinton to PA 183 (sections 8 or 5). Does anyone have suggestions on which direction is faster or better for these sections, and which one might be better for this time of year? It will be cold and sunny, in the 30s or low 40s. I would have liked to backpacked it, but the forecast is down into low 20's and my guess is it really will be colder, so I may try to just day hike, and start as early as possible. I have read section 5, Port Clinton to PA 183, begins with a steep long climb. Thanks for your suggestions.

The climb out of Port Clinton is very steep but once you're up on top, it's a very easy hike to PA 183 parking lot. My friend and I did this route last December except we did PA 183 to Port Clinton

I'm guessing you mean Clarks Valley (PA Route 325) to Duncannon ~20 miles (Clarks Ferry parking lot is the north side of Susquehanna River bridge only ~2 miles of bridge walk and road/sidewalk from the Doyle).

If so, the climb out of Clarks Valley is relatively easy (switchbacked ~10 yr ago). There are a few rocky bits on the ridgetop, near Shikelimmy side trail and a bit west of PA Roue 225 overpass. The switchbacked descent from past Clarks Ferry shelter to Clarks Ferry parking lot isn't too bad once you get off the brow of the ridge. And walking in to the Doyle is always nice, but far less crowded this time of year.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks. I did this hike today. Parts were icy so i used micro spikes for about half of it. I hike slow and started after 9 am, so I ran out of daylight, and did the last mile with my headlamp. The blazes are different on this section. For turns, it was always two white blazes, one over the other. Other AT sections I have done, have the top one going to right or left, to indicate the turn. It made no difference in the daylight, but at night, it was harder. In any case, it was as you noted. One big climb, then relatively easy, with lots of rocks. One more section done.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks. I hope to do this section in the spring, or if we get an easy winter.

Quote Originally Posted by NJdreamer View Post
    For turns, it was always two white blazes, one over the other. Other AT sections I have done, have the top one going to right or left, to indicate the turn. It made no difference in the daylight, but at night, it was harder. In any case, it was as you noted. One big climb, then relatively easy, with lots of rocks. One more section done.
    I remember hearing that when the Garvey blaze (the one with the offset top double in the direction of the turn) was introduced, each of the maintaining clubs had to choose whether to use it for their section - and not all did. Cumberland Valley and BMECC were a couple of holdouts. Sometimes the elegance of a solution isn't quite enough to overcome NIH ("not invented here") syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by NJdreamer View Post
    Thanks. I did this hike today. Parts were icy so i used micro spikes for about half of it. I hike slow and started after 9 am, so I ran out of daylight, and did the last mile with my headlamp. The blazes are different on this section. For turns, it was always two white blazes, one over the other. Other AT sections I have done, have the top one going to right or left, to indicate the turn. It made no difference in the daylight, but at night, it was harder. In any case, it was as you noted. One big climb, then relatively easy, with lots of rocks. One more section done.
    Your original post gave 2 possible hikes. Which one did you do? BTW, I need to continue north from Roundhead/Showers Steps (between 501 and 183) to complete PA, about 100 miles.
    136 contiguous miles of MD + rocky PA-AT down, but 2042 miles to go

Journal Entries
    Images

I did the Port Clinton to PA 183. It is relatively easy after the 1st mile, except for the rocks. Information I read indicated there would be minimal rocks after mile 6, but this was not the case. I have not done most of what you have left in PA. I am hoping to do sections 1 to 4 in 1 or 2 trips.

++ New Posts ++