WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default So, my Vasque 7492 GTX finally died

Well, the vibram sole on the back wore through to the next layer and they really aren't the sort of shoes you can resole. I noticed it because it threw my gait off enough that I started to get a little knee trouble.

So, I picked up some shoes to just try out another type.

Got some New Balance 410 v4 Trail Runners (they were available in my size and I'm in the middle of travel).

First thing I discover is that while they are sold all over (Dicks, Amazon, etc.; e.g. https://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-M.../dp/B00OQ1RLZ6), they aren't listed on the New Balance website. Variations of them are sold as 412, etc. as well.

It was weird to realize that there are now so many trail runners that they drop in and disappear without a splash.

I'll know more about how I feel about them after a few hundred miles, but it was strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaikases View Post
    Well, the vibram sole on the back wore through to the next layer and they really aren't the sort of shoes you can resole. I noticed it because it threw my gait off enough that I started to get a little knee trouble.

So, I picked up some shoes to just try out another type.

Got some New Balance 410 v4 Trail Runners (they were available in my size and I'm in the middle of travel).

First thing I discover is that while they are sold all over (Dicks, Amazon, etc.; e.g. https://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-M.../dp/B00OQ1RLZ6), they aren't listed on the New Balance website. Variations of them are sold as 412, etc. as well.

It was weird to realize that there are now so many trail runners that they drop in and disappear without a splash.

I'll know more about how I feel about them after a few hundred miles, but it was strange.
    I believe they are discontinued. STP has them in-store only for $35, Academy for $40. A rule-of-thumb with NB is the lower the number, the lower the technology and quality. https://support.newbalance.com/hc/en...-Numbers-Mean-

That is what I gathered. The shoes feel very, very light compared to the Vasques, and have considerably more cushion.

However, what got my attention is that the shoe laces are "grippy" instead of slippery. They untie easily, but they don't slide off the knots. I'm really curious to see how they work out.

I like New Balance for the wide sizes and the shape of the last, which fits my feet well. I have doubts about how well these will last, and they don't hold in the heat at all (which would be fine in the summer).

Surprisingly, on the New Balance website the only Goretex trail runners they had were for women on the site search. They did not list a men's -- which I expect will change -- as they obviously have a men's goretex shoe or two (e.g. http://www.newbalance.com/pd/910v3-t...8:s#color=Dark Green_with_Red_and_Black)

Update. The last on the New Balance collapsed and the shoes were worthless within a month giving my firstvand last experiences with plantar fasciitis.

Here’s a novel idea: Buy new Vasque replacements.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++