WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Five Tips for Getting Your Wife out on the Trail

An article for the men out there who would love for their wives to join them out on the trail but haven't figured out how to make that happen yet.

https://couch2trail.wordpress.com/20...-on-the-trail/

Images

That is pretty good information. My wife has had both knees replaced and says she will not be wearing them out on the trail anytime soon. Guess I will keep hiking solo.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

My wife is more than happy to venture into the woods for a day hike but will not under any circumstances sleep there. Never going to happen. Luckily she has no problem with me disappearing for a week every so often.

I introduced my fiance to backpacking about 4 years ago and I agree with much of this list. She had never gone, has poor balance, etc, so a bit of an experience.

My 10 ten key components, simplified, in no particular order:
    1. Go when it's warm and no bugs (aug/sep in the NE is ideal)
    2. Keep the mileage reasonable
    3. Make a route that has resupply often so that you don't have to carry that much.
    4. Give her a decent size pack so she's a legit backpacker, but offer to take if there's some "newbie fatigue". Giving bulky items that aren't heavy works well for this. I go heavy on the food/water in my pack
    5. Fantastic scenery to start is a plus
    6. Reschedule if it's all rain and it's a first trip
    7. Mix in a hotel/hostel day and end with a more luxurious stay when you finish!
    8. Go a bit overkill on warmth so it's not a frigid first experience
    9. No rushing or "timetabling" unless 100% necessary.
    10. Bring awesome food. Just because you like granola and stoveless, doesn't mean that's a good option for the two of you

Should probably be titled, "how to get your significant other out on the trail." My high school girlfriend was a backpacker, I wanted no part of it. She was a mountain girl, I was a lake boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    I introduced my fiance to backpacking about 4 years ago and I agree with much of this list. She had never gone, has poor balance, etc, so a bit of an experience.

3. Make a route that has resupply often so that you don't have to carry that much.
    4. Give her a decent size pack so she's a legit backpacker, but offer to take if there's some "newbie fatigue". Giving bulky items that aren't heavy works well for this. I go heavy on the food/water in my pack
    7. Mix in a hotel/hostel day and end with a more luxurious stay when you finish!
    10. Bring awesome food. Just because you like granola and stoveless, doesn't mean that's a good option for the two of you
    This is is a very good approach. My wife will do 1 or 2 trips per season. Sometimes with my daughters, sometimes just us. The key is to make it pleasurable, focus on the time together and the opportunity to get off the beaten path.

The Inn to Inn route in Virginia is a great start. Drive to park headquarters, catch a shuttle. Hike ten miles a day for four days, last day end up at your car. Warm lodge and dinner every night.

My wife loved it.

And, as a result, has gone on more hikes, slept in shelters with me and is loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    That is pretty good information. My wife has had both knees replaced and says she will not be wearing them out on the trail anytime soon. Guess I will keep hiking solo.
    Hopefully she can wear them out on something she enjoys doing!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
    My wife is more than happy to venture into the woods for a day hike but will not under any circumstances sleep there. Never going to happen. Luckily she has no problem with me disappearing for a week every so often.
    My wife was that way for many years- she never even considered sleeping outdoors. She changed her mind though! There's still hope!

That's really good advice. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Should probably be titled, "how to get your significant other out on the trail." My high school girlfriend was a backpacker, I wanted no part of it. She was a mountain girl, I was a lake boy.
    I wrote this from my perspective- it may work in reverse but I just don't know!

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    This is is a very good approach. My wife will do 1 or 2 trips per season. Sometimes with my daughters, sometimes just us. The key is to make it pleasurable, focus on the time together and the opportunity to get off the beaten path.
    I totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Elaikases View Post
    The Inn to Inn route in Virginia is a great start. Drive to park headquarters, catch a shuttle. Hike ten miles a day for four days, last day end up at your car. Warm lodge and dinner every night.

My wife loved it.

And, as a result, has gone on more hikes, slept in shelters with me and is loving it.
    That's great!Here's hoping the journeys continue!

My wife is scared of heights. Route planning matters.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

My Ten Components to Taking Out Little Mitten
    ** Make sure it is not raining from beginning to end of the trip. Have this locked in.
    ** Make sure wind levels remain calm at all times.
    ** Never attempt a winter trip or a trip where temps can fall dangerously low, like below 70F.
    ** Avoid at all costs muddy trails and of course all creek crossings.
    ** Run screaming from any hill climbs or god forbid 3,000 foot Nutbusting mountain humps.
    ** Carry all her gear at all times, stock first aid kit with plenty of advil and ibuprofen.
    ** Avoid cold and snow and sleet in all forms.
    ** The colors Brown or Green could upset.
    ** Cloudy skies are a no-brainer Keep Out signal so stay home.
    ** Blue skies could upset the schedule so have a bail-out plan.

Journal Entries

Take her friends visit into consideration planning timing of ANYTHING
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-20-2016 at 12:38.

Newbies, listen to HikingJim, he has it dialed in.

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Newbies, listen to HikingJim, he has it dialed in.
    Exactly. I like his recommendation to go when it's warm with no bugs. Is that a fly I see 30 feet away on a tree leaf? Don't go. Did I get a chigger bite? Return home. Are these spider webs across the trail? Eeek, find shelter indoors. These nasty noseeums suck! Reserve motel room. ETc. Oh and btw, Bugs love warm weather. Oops.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I agree - the article should definitely have had a different title. When I was in high school, I was the mountain girl...and the guys just wanted to camp on their butts and party. Well, only if the weather was nice. I tend to think of it as their loss. About the only time I ever needed anyone carry the contents of my pack for me was when I was 3, and just being introduced to backpacking. Though, I did wear a pack with my rain gear in it.

Here are some additional tips that might make your trip go a bit better:

Know that the above article does not fit all women who are new to backpacking.
    Don't assume a woman NEEDS you to carry the heavy stuff.
    Don't assume a woman cannot hike just as far as you can. Just because she is new to the sport, it doesn't mean she won't become enthusiastic and want to see as much of the trail as possible.
    Communicate. Ask questions and find out about comfort levels.
    Never assume that all women can only hike a small number of miles, but only when they aren't having their periods.
    There are no "one size fits all" answers when it comes to women, or men.

Journal Entries

Five tips....

1. Find some really good mountainous spots along the trail with lots of elevation.
    2. Make sure you pick a few days of rainy weather.
    3. Make sure you leave all the really tasty snacks at home.
    4. Stay in at least one shelter full of mice.
    5. Leave the phones at home.

Why? If your dearest still wants to hike on and can do so without complaint, hey, " No sniveling allowed", then you know you have a hiker. The rest is all downhill....

Biggest lure is the kilos to drop during a multiday trip.
    Only bigger the disappointment when they didn't drop.

The truth is, my wife is very eager to go with me and I take all measures I can think of to make it possible, that means especially making route planning and pack weight fit for her, not for me.
    We had the greatest time of our life, wandering the desert together.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    I agree - the article should definitely have had a different title. When I was in high school, I was the mountain girl...and the guys just wanted to camp on their butts and party. Well, only if the weather was nice. ....
    Yeah, article seems bit sexist, but all points are good, whether applying to non hiking wives or husbands (or just SO's).

Not to brag on this part of the country, but I don't think you'd ever see such an article title or word content out here in Colorado. There are more women, for example, active in the Colorado mountain club than men, and out on the trails it really is pretty close to 50-50 in these parts. Having hiked the AT, no where close to 50-50.

Guys, please don't take offense where none was meant or given. I tried to be specific in wording the post and the article- this is to help those men who love the outdoors introduce their wives who may not yet share their passion to the outdoors. If you fall in to that category, this article was meant to help you out. If not, then obviously this article doesn't apply to you. Don't make something out of nothing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++