WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

One of those two first options was how I was planning on doing it.....

Thinking up trail options is one of the main things I do on a long backpacking trip---and compiling a list of fantasy (unbuilt) dream trails allowing me to connect to other established trails to make Grand Supreme Loops etc.

Images

Likewise

and looking through various guidebooks eats up a lot of my time researching things out....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

How are those Zamberlan boots holding up?

I've had mine for about 5 years without problems but I'm curious of your experience because I know you put a lot more miles on them than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post
    How are those Zamberlan boots holding up?

I've had mine for about 5 years without problems but I'm curious of your experience because I know you put a lot more miles on them than I do.
    While heavy, they perform perfectly for my winter hiking needs. When frozen solid they don't shrink up much and always allow my feet easy access. No break-in period and comfy. They are waterproof up to six inches of creek water making many crossings easy rock hops or wading in shallow water.

Cons? Weight.

When my zamberlan vioz got shelved from 3 season backpacking years ago, I thought I had wasted my money. But 12 years later, they are still going strong for winter use and certain other trails where they make sense. Still waterproof, still good tread

So glad I found this thread in the forum, going to start 2017 off with hiking the home trails here in Monroe County and in Citico area. Hope to see you on the trail Tipi Walter!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tvance0645 View Post
    So glad I found this thread in the forum, going to start 2017 off with hiking the home trails here in Monroe County and in Citico area. Hope to see you on the trail Tipi Walter!

Welcome to whiteblaze. You will be a rarity---a local who hikes Monroe County trails---and even more rare if you decide to backpack these trails. And there are ALOT of trails stretching between the Smokies south to the bottom of the Cohuttas---Slickrock/Kilmer, Citico, Tallassee backcountry, Snowbird backcountry, Brushy Ridge, Bald and Upper Bald River, Little Frog, Big Frog-Cohutta etc. Altogether around 400 miles of trails in our neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Welcome to whiteblaze. You will be a rarity---a local who hikes Monroe County trails---and even more rare if you decide to backpack these trails. And there are ALOT of trails stretching between the Smokies south to the bottom of the Cohuttas---Slickrock/Kilmer, Citico, Tallassee backcountry, Snowbird backcountry, Brushy Ridge, Bald and Upper Bald River, Little Frog, Big Frog-Cohutta etc. Altogether around 400 miles of trails in our neck of the woods.

Getting started on research, any other resources you recommend?

Once again Tipi-another great report and great pictures as well!!!!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by tvance0645 View Post
    Getting started on research, any other resources you recommend?

These two paper maps are excellent if you want to spend some real time in Citico and the Snowbirds---esp on backpacking trips---

https://theforeststore.com/product/j...ldnerness-map/

https://theforeststore.com/product/s...rea-trail-map/

Btw, my buddy Will Skelton wrote the book guide in your above picture---here he is (left) on a backpacking trip we did together on the Deep Creek trail in Slickrock wilderness back in 2014---

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++