WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Walking from Chattanooga to Amicalola Falls

So, I'm thinking about selling my truck to my Dad and taking a Greyhound as close to the trail as possible. I'm from IN and the bus to Gainesville is 22 hrs because of backtracking and layovers. The ride to Atlanta would be too far away. Marietta, GA is around 16 hrs, same price as ATL. The shortest ride time and cheapest ticket would be Chattanooga. I would have to walk about 87 miles which is probably nothing considering I'm attempting 2,200, LOL. Just wondering if that area was cool to walk through. Looks like it will be around camping areas vs if I walked from ATL. I'd rather walk than pay $80 for a shuttle. Considering Greyhound isn't even charging that much.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlayitdown View Post
    So, I'm thinking about selling my truck to my Dad and taking a Greyhound as close to the trail as possible. I'm from IN and the bus to Gainesville is 22 hrs because of backtracking and layovers. The ride to Atlanta would be too far away. Marietta, GA is around 16 hrs, same price as ATL. The shortest ride time and cheapest ticket would be Chattanooga. I would have to walk about 87 miles which is probably nothing considering I'm attempting 2,200, LOL. Just wondering if that area was cool to walk through. Looks like it will be around camping areas vs if I walked from ATL. I'd rather walk than pay $80 for a shuttle. Considering Greyhound isn't even charging that much.

If if your dad has some free time, ask him to drive you in his new truck. Pay him for gas,food and lodging.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    If if your dad has some free time, ask him to drive you in his new truck. Pay him for gas,food and lodging.
    So now that I had my morning coffee I see this wold cost you more money.

Spending time with my dad would have been priceless.

Journal Entries

If you cant afford to get to the trail
    Are you sure you can afford to hike it?

Clean the truck good and charge your old man $80 more for it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-05-2017 at 08:57.

Walking will take a whole lot longer and cost you more than taking the bus.

What route were you considering from Chattanooga?

Your mileage looks like it's based on walking on I75. You'll have to look at back roads which will take you even longer.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 02-05-2017 at 09:03.

Not really about the cost, more about being stuck on a bus for 22 hrs and then needing a shuttle after that. If I drove it would only take around 10 hrs but what would I do with my truck once I get there? I could try selling/donating it to someone nearby. My Dad doesn't like to leave the couch, let alone go on a trip. He really doesn't want me to do this, I'm 41 btw. I have thought about asking him but I know how he is. I was only going to sell him the truck so I wouldn't have to worry about leaving it somewhere for months.

The walking directions are from my phone navigation, not on highway, starts on Brainerd, Red Cut Rd, Conasauga, etc. Bunch of small Rds goes to Elijay. 78 miles from Greyhound station.

Long road walks like that aren't much fun. Plus you'd be in serious risk of being run over on those back roads which are narrow and twisty. Locals who drive those roads everyday tend to go pretty fast and aren't on the look out for people in the road.

But once you got away from Chattanooga and on RT52, you might be able to hitch the rest of the way, as it's a straight shot from there.

Just for fun I asked Google for walking directions. The shortest distance is 85.1 miles which they estimate will take 29 hours. If you walked for a full 8 hours a day, that's 3.6 days of walking. You pass through a couple of towns along the way and you have to eat. Hopefully you can buy food along the way so you don't have to also carry 3 1/2 days of food and that will cost you almost as much as a shuttle.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

You might find someone who wants to share a shuttle.

Hang on.
    After today, some Falcons fan from that area will answer you about how cool the road wak is.

I live in Chattanooga, just moved here. There are lots of hikers around here. Maybe check the Chattanooga sub-reddit or ask around to see if there is anyone from around here either also starting their hike around the same time or willing to do some pre-trail Trail Magic and give you a ride.

Another thing to consider is if you leave South Bend, IN on the 3 PM bus, you get to Chattanooga at 8 AM. That doesn't sound too bad until you realize there is a 2 hr 20m layover and bus transfer in Toledo, then a 30 minute layover and bus transfer at 12:15 AM in Cincinnati, a 30 minute layover at 3:10 AM, and another 30 minute layover at 5:25AM. Which basically means your not going to get much of any sleep overnight. And then your going to start a 3 1/2 day walk? The other options aren't much better.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

16 hrs. To Chattanooga vs. 22 to Gainesville is only 6 more, schedule it right and hopefully you can sleep the majority of it and then get to the trail and start hiking without a need to add another nights sleep. However, the deals for one night and transport to wherever you want is only $80 as someone mentioned. Well worth it to start on the right track from the start IMHO.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Mega Bus is cheaper. About $30 routes involve departing Indianapolis to Chattanooga or Nashville or Atlanta. It's a faster, I'd say more efficiently operated(Chinese I think), commuter oriented bus line compared to G hound but with a much more limited station/locations stops/ routes. I'd check by calling and carefully reviewing routes because, for example, the Ghound from Indy to Atlanta makes a stop in Dalton GA and Marietta GA so you don't have to go all the way to Atlanta. FWIW, the Pinhoti Trail runs through Dalton not far from where the G Hound stops(I've taken it from/to Dalton and made the walk personally) which connects to the AT via the BMT. Also, check because various routes, both Mega Bus and G Hound, make food stops that may not be listed on line where you can get off and not get back on which is similar to how I've saved some do re mi on air fares.

Before you https://us.megabus.com/JourneyResult...=&withReturn=0

Here's another clean conscience giving back suggestion. If you can get to Knoxville, the timing is right, and are willing to do some trail maintenance with the SWEAT or ROCKY TOP GSMNP Trail Crew in conjunction with the ATC and NPS, all a GREAT group of plugged in people!, they will pick you up in K ville transporting you to GSMNP just outside Gatlinburg. I've done this on the back and front end of hikes. Hauling those mega heavy packs of gear(they have loner gear) can be a good pre hike work out and plugged in source behind the scenes beta. It's a worthy cause and worth exploring for a budget conscience hiker.

Just change the itinerary to going SOBO to Amicalola Falls.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home...eat-trail-crew

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home...top-trail-crew

El Sordo
    Images

try road walking where you are for a few days to see how you like it before you try it from Chattanooga. you can leave your car at Amicalola for 6 months and I believe you only pay the one time $5 fee. It's now run by a private corporation so that may have changed.
    Dyslexics Untie!

when are you heading down?

when are you heading down?

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    try road walking where you are for a few days to see how you like it before you try it from Chattanooga. you can leave your car at Amicalola for 6 months and I believe you only pay the one time $5 fee. It's now run by a private corporation so that may have changed.
    long term parking is $55. Or $5 a day.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

why not just start thumbing it from IN?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++