WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Petzl not Petal

Journal Entries

The test curve for unregulated photon can be educational for some

The photon is a great little buttoncell light on 2 cr2016. Can run on single cr3032 , less light, longer life at the lower voltage

In any case, unregulated lights perform similarly.

images.png
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-28-2016 at 00:54.

So I appreciate the replies. However, noone has brought anything to the table that is all that better than my current headlamp. You have taken into consideration my needs. And it's true, I need/want a substantial headlamp. Hell, I'm even considering STILL putting a red photon around my neck just cause. I appreciate the input, at this current time I think it's best I stick with my current headlamp and save some coin. I do however think a really slick system would be a zebra light and a red photon around the neck.

However I lose the function of having a red light on my headlamp. And I must say. I've really enjoyed the atmosphere of sitting in my hammock, hunched over some steamy ramen,in the dark, with a nice red light... After a 25 mile day... In the rain.

I don't think any headlamp really is an upgrade over my petzl in the same weight class at this point in time. If something offered the same features at an ounce less, I'd jump on it. If something was brighter and more efficient for the same weight, I'd consider it.

Thank you for the replies. Now it's time to go obsess over which of my spoons I'm bringing with me. Gossamer Gear bamboo vs titanium with that polished bowl. And I thought picking a torch was hard.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    So I appreciate the replies. However, noone has brought anything to the table that is all that better than my current headlamp. You have taken into consideration my needs. And it's true, I need/want a substantial headlamp. Hell, I'm even considering STILL putting a red photon around my neck just cause. I appreciate the input, at this current time I think it's best I stick with my current headlamp and save some coin. I do however think a really slick system would be a zebra light and a red photon around the neck.

However I lose the function of having a red light on my headlamp. And I must say. I've really enjoyed the atmosphere of sitting in my hammock, hunched over some steamy ramen,in the dark, with a nice red light... After a 25 mile day... In the rain.

I don't think any headlamp really is an upgrade over my petzl in the same weight class at this point in time. If something offered the same features at an ounce less, I'd jump on it. If something was brighter and more efficient for the same weight, I'd consider it.

Thank you for the replies. Now it's time to go obsess over which of my spoons I'm bringing with me. Gossamer Gear bamboo vs titanium with that polished bowl. And I thought picking a torch was hard.

???? What????

You've received a ton of suggestions, some of which were spot on.

You want the red light.
    You want at least 90 lumens because you want to night hike.
    You want good battery longevity.
    You want light weight(aspiring UL hiker, you said)

Your options were pretty much given to you by the responders. Some, as I said was useful.

The clear and obvious solution to your dilema, since you are apparently satisfied with your Petzl is to simply upgrade to the Petzl that has high power for night hiking, an extreme low mode for battery longevity, a red LED and as light a weight as possible.

Wait, you say. All Petzl's are spec'd the same and what I want isn't made by Petzl!!!!

And.....you'd be forgiven for thinking that.

REI and Petzl are in bed together, when it comes to headlamps. The REI Petzl's are different!!!

Take, for example, the Petzl Zipka Headlamp. Petzl specs it at 100 lumens and NO red LED!! Guess what? REI told Petzl to essentially take the Tikka(also spec'd just for REI with 200 lumens!!) and make it a Zipka. And, VOILA!!!! REI's Zipka is essentially a Tikka with the Zipka cord!!!! OMG!! HOW DID THEY DO THAT??? It's called----Marketing and buying power. REI is the biggest purchaser of Petzl headlamps. What REI wants, REI gets!! And, YOU GET THE BENEFIT!!!

So, upgrade to the REI Petzl Tikka or the REI Petzl Zipka and you get what you want.

https://www.rei.com/product/109854/petzl-zipka-headlamp

There. Useful info. YMMV. HYOH. DWYW....

Images

Well, so many posts and not one mention of Princeton Tec, so I'll throw one in. Stay away ! I have purchased 2 over the last 8 years and experienced breakage on battery door clips and the base plate attachment. I was recently gifted another one that I'll leave at home for fixing things under the sink or up in the attic.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Gear Wonk/ engineering type identified and targeted.

Two points:
    1) The BD Ion, the new one with the button, is waterproof (IPX8), less than two oz in weight, has a red light, puts out 100 lumens, costs less than $25, comes in multiple color options, lasts 6 hrs on high @ 100 lumens and 180 hrs on low at 4 lumens, and the last BD warranty claim I made involved me sending an email through the BD web site and getting a tracking number for my new light, that was on its way, texted to me four hours later. My BD Ion is my go-to headlamp.
    2) Go with the titanium spoon. Sure, it weighs slightly more than the bamboo, I'm sure, but the mouth feel of that polished bowl is so, so, so much nicer than wood, it's well worth the 4 g or so. Also, the Ti is stronger so you can dig your cat holes better with it. ;-) Heck, you could even use the Ti spoon bowl to melt snow with your bic lighter. You couldn't do that with a bamboo spoon.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I disagree completely! Go bamboo it floats and if you fall in a river it won't drag you under. No danger of ti fever which can cause you to spend to much on backpacking equipment especially lightning

thom

Journal Entries
    Images

Wendy's long spoon.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Two points:
    1) The BD Ion, the new one with the button, is waterproof (IPX8), less than two oz in weight, has a red light, puts out 100 lumens, costs less than $25, comes in multiple color options, lasts 6 hrs on high @ 100 lumens and 180 hrs on low at 4 lumens, and the last BD warranty claim I made involved me sending an email through the BD web site and getting a tracking number for my new light, that was on its way, texted to me four hours later. My BD Ion is my go-to headlamp.
    2) Go with the titanium spoon. Sure, it weighs slightly more than the bamboo, I'm sure, but the mouth feel of that polished bowl is so, so, so much nicer than wood, it's well worth the 4 g or so. Also, the Ti is stronger so you can dig your cat holes better with it. ;-) Heck, you could even use the Ti spoon bowl to melt snow with your bic lighter. You couldn't do that with a bamboo spoon.

1. My family has had terrible results with the BD head lamps. Yes, the warranty is good and BD honors it spectacularly. Because....BD knows they sold some crap head lamps. And, since I've not seen an apology or recall from BD, I am nowhere near confident enough that they've changed their source for the lights. What good is a headlamp that fails when you need it most? Worse than not good. Potentially life threatening....
    Climbing gear/pro...BD all the way....
    Headlamps...never again BD......YMMV

2. Ti. Mouth feel. Cat hole capable. Strange use for melting a teaspoon of frozen water. I agree 100 percent. Might I also add "sanitary" to the list? As in all you have to do is hold it over your stove for a few seconds...don't try that with bamboo or a Wendy's spoon(lolol)...just sayin...YMMV

Another cheap option is Skilhunt H15.However its heavy.It is like a cheaper-heavier version of Zebralight H52.If you modify the headband,you can get down to about 130g all included.But it is very efficient,and burns long.

Journal Entries

Actually, the surface of Ti spoons that are not highly polished is a common complaint. It can be like ..2000 grit sandpaper
    Many people polish theirs

good wood spoons are very smooth, (sealed with beeswax), thick rounded edges, narrow and easy to use, not hot or cold to touch. Excellent mouth feel. And lighter. the GG is not one of them. mail order a long handle one from china for $2 and improve it with a little sandpaper and beeswax.

forgetting for a second that a spork is ridiculous, which of the below two finishes do you think feels better in mouth

Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-28-2016 at 12:14.

Images

I wonder if there was simply a weird bad batch of BD headlamps? I've got a spot that's a zillion years old, still works like new, except kinda scratched. I use it car camping and around the house, because my favorite go-to headlamp for the darker times of year, like now, is the Princeton Tech remix. The new ones are 150 lumens and 83 grams, I assume with batteries, mine is 2.3 ounces with lithiums and 125 lumens on full bright. I think I've had it at least 4-5 years.

My "lighter" time of year (like, say, March through October is that same Mammut S lite scarebear mentioned, 1.4 ounces with a lithium and 30 lumens (or 25?), single AA battery which is nice, if you hold it low (not on your head, which doesn't cast handy shadows on rocks/roots) it does work for night hiking.

None of my headlamps have ever had the red thingie, but on low power, I don't think I've disturbed anyone, frankly I don't see the need for the red thing. "It saves your night vision". But this makes no sense to me, for as long as your lamp is just barely light enough for your nighttime task, who cares what color it is?

And spoons? I had a Ti one, lost it, but now I much prefer simple Lexan plastic, a long handled one (hugely important to me), same weight as the Ti, works better (the longer handle), indestructible, not sure why folks love their Ti ones, but hey, HYOH.

I have both and ditched them for the GoBites Duo (22 grams). Easy to wash, great length and has a better pleasing feeling in the mouth (especially compared to the ti polished spoon).

This isn't my review but one that does a good job showcasing it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bNQz9IdLdU

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I wonder if there was simply a weird bad batch of BD headlamps? I've got a spot that's a zillion years old, still works like new, except kinda scratched. I use it car camping and around the house, because my favorite go-to headlamp for the darker times of year, like now, is the Princeton Tech remix. The new ones are 150 lumens and 83 grams, I assume with batteries, mine is 2.3 ounces with lithiums and 125 lumens on full bright. I think I've had it at least 4-5 years.

My "lighter" time of year (like, say, March through October is that same Mammut S lite scarebear mentioned, 1.4 ounces with a lithium and 30 lumens (or 25?), single AA battery which is nice, if you hold it low (not on your head, which doesn't cast handy shadows on rocks/roots) it does work for night hiking.

None of my headlamps have ever had the red thingie, but on low power, I don't think I've disturbed anyone, frankly I don't see the need for the red thing. "It saves your night vision". But this makes no sense to me, for as long as your lamp is just barely light enough for your nighttime task, who cares what color it is?

And spoons? I had a Ti one, lost it, but now I much prefer simple Lexan plastic, a long handled one (hugely important to me), same weight as the Ti, works better (the longer handle), indestructible, not sure why folks love their Ti ones, but hey, HYOH.
    Yeah, the older Mammut S-Lite didn't have red LED, the last of the line was sold through REI and had red LED's. The S-Flex(my unit) always had the red LED(I think it is a dual-color diode...)

We tried to like the XL Lexan spoons. The Ti one's just had more total usefulness for the weight. YMMV. Now, the question of the day is:
    "Why can't they make the Ti spoons an inch longer in the long size?" I'd gladly pay a dollar more for one more inch of length...

I'm probably going with the titanium spoon due to its strength and cleanliness factor. Also the polished bowl is night and day over my unpolished one. I like my wood spoon. It's gotta a better feel. However it's harder to clean and probably slightly less sanitary. Every now and then I stick both spoons in my boiling cup of water for a minute or so.

Back to the nature at hand. The tikka plus + 2 is sticking around. I've really considered a BD spot. But I've heard mixed reviews about there customer service, headlamps dying, etc.

Typically I look past that. But I've heard it from enough people just to avoid it. Everyone raves about their climbing gear. The worst I've heard is about their trekking poles.

No reason I couldn't pick up a different torch on the trail anyways if I really decide mine is just not up to snuff.

Happy somewhat new years.

PS engineering nerd.... I embrace it

Thanks again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    1. My family has had terrible results with the BD head lamps.
    I liked my Spot, and recommended it to people. Until it just stopped working on a trip once. Then on the next trip my wife's Spot died. No warning, nothing. Wasn't the battery. Just died.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I don't want my headlamp to fail when most needed. The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. And that's why I shelled big bucks for high quality.

Buy a good lamp, but also get great batteries to go with it.

I ran my Zebralight H52W (max 280 lumen) with the recommended Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables, for fifteen hours at the medium setting (50 lumen), and the battery still had 75% of its charge. So I hazard the guess that it will run on med for at least 30 hours. This on one humble AA battery. Solid craftsmanship, machined from premium-grade aluminum, waterproof to six feet for 30 minutes, 2.8 oz with battery and strap.

Hello darkness small friend, I come to talk to you again, and I'm bringing my trusty Zebra with me.

(No red option, but six different lumen settings, the lowest being the gentlest whisper of light.)

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    If you are not planning on night hiking: https://www.amazon.com/Petzl-e-LITE-...ds=petzl+elite

This is a great little headlamp and about as light as you can get. Good light, and enough for emergency night hiking if necessary. But I would not make a habit with it.
    Love my Petzl e-lite!

We've had two Princeton techs that took a dirt nap and three BD's that are still going strong. The revolt is what I'm using now, a few times a week and is about a year old.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++