WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by hailstreak View Post
    I have air traveled with a fully loaded 65l pack a few times (no fuel, just a tuna can stove) and never had a problem with it as checked luggage. I usually just lash my trekking poles to the outside of the pack really tight. I plan on doing the same when I fly to Atlanta this March. My poles are cheapos and my pack is fairly durable (not ultralight), so it can tolerate some tossing around by the baggage handlers.
    You're risking your trekking poles or something else being damaged or missing doing this.

I've done something similar and it didn't damage the poles. Theft is a bigger risk then damage when going this route. Mine were not good ones either though so there was less of that risk.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You're risking your trekking poles or something else being damaged or missing doing this.

I'll bet if yu remove the carbon fiber rods from the pack -- mail them with the items. You can get the arc haul down small enough to meet carry on size

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by energier View Post
    I'll bet if yu remove the carbon fiber rods from the pack -- mail them with the items. You can get the arc haul down small enough to meet carry on size
    Several times i remove mine , wrap in ccf with trek poles, and put in small checked duffel for trip home. Then carry on half empty pack.

Just visit walmart for 15$ 22" duffel, or thrift store for $4

I like to mail travel clothes to destination, do i usually mail the cheap duffel too. But for $20 you can go to thrift store and get it all.

Outbound...i check whole pack packed with food in cheap thrift duffel. Carry on $$$ cuben and down in a thrift daypack.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-18-2017 at 15:01.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++