WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MP3 player

Images

Default MP3 player

What is the best as far as decent sound and long battery life?
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

I have a couple of MP3 player which run on a single AAA battery sold under the RCA brand name. However, that type of player seems to be getting scarce. I mostly just use my smart phone now days.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I have a Sansa Fuze that's 10 years old and still works fine. I recharge with an aux battery when needed on the trail

Consider a Sansa Clip Jam ... 18 hr battery life, expandable with microsd cards, does e-books, FM radio. Used to have a record feature in older Clip models but that's been removed, sadly (else, would make a good audio journaling tool). Ipod shuffle should give you 15 hrs life, but no expansion card ability, no FM radio. Either one will have to be recharged - no battery swap. Clip Jam uses micro USB, Apple has its own proprietary connector thing (as usual).

Some much older players would run off a replaceable battery - Sansa made one that used a single AAA. But the capacity was pretty small, and it was nonexpandable. I'm not sure if anyone makes such devices anymore.

I suppose you could just get a phablet with native GPS and BT and watch movies in your tent. Then you wouldn't need a phone. Or a Kindle. Or an MP3. Or a GPS. Just sayin...

I use a five year old Sansa with a USB port. I carry a dual adaptor so I can recharge it at the same time as my phone. I'm guessing it's got about a 12 hour life which is fine for a couple hours of chilling out while I try to fall asleep at night. Oh and on airplanes/shuttles to and from the trail.

http://www.sangean.com/products/prod...?mid=128&cid=6

i use this small radio for sports ,weather ,news. Auto shutoff . Phone for MP3

thom

Why not just use your phone? I have a spotify subscription, so you can save music to your phone. Virtually anything you want to listen to, includign podcasts and audibooks.

Journal Entries
    Images

If you're carrying at least a 10k mAh charger with you, and you should, you shouldn't have any issues using your phone. I listened a lot on my iPhone 6S+ while also using Guthook and snapping photos/videos here and there and never ran out of battery life even after 3-4 days. If I did decide to carry a dedicated MP3 player I'd go with the Sansa Clip 8GB.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

+1 for the sansa/scandisk mp3 players. Unless you can find an RCA Pearl which uses 1 AAA battery

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    If you're carrying at least a 10k mAh charger with you, and you should, you shouldn't have any issues using your phone. I listened a lot on my iPhone 6S+ while also using Guthook and snapping photos/videos here and there and never ran out of battery life even after 3-4 days. If I did decide to carry a dedicated MP3 player I'd go with the Sansa Clip 8GB.
    This is what I will be doing. I will use my spotify sub for music. I figure keeping my phone in airplane mode should help, but I will have an Anker charger with me just in case.
    Keep up with my pre-train for my 2017 thru hike, and the planned thru hike, starting in March, at escapingtheoffice.com

Don't doubt what your body can accomplish, it can do more than you think.

I used and carried a sansa clip SPORT the entire trail and have used these for running for many years. Buyer beware! The sport model claims best battery life and is indeed very good but plagued with many known issues including song limits to external storage and the inability to be 'rockboxed' with better software. This sport model is more like a beta model that was given up on (unresolved kinks). I have also had a number of them die presumably from my sweat soaking the thing while running and others just randomly (always replaced by Sansa). During my hike i kept good care of keeping it out of the rain/sweat. The clip on the back is useful and so is USB recharging.

I would certainly recommend a 10k+ charger though even if you decide to use a dedicated music player instead of phone for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by eblanche View Post
    I used and carried a sansa clip SPORT the entire trail and have used these for running for many years. Buyer beware! The sport model claims best battery life and is indeed very good but plagued with many known issues including song limits to external storage and the inability to be 'rockboxed' with better software. This sport model is more like a beta model that was given up on (unresolved kinks). I have also had a number of them die presumably from my sweat soaking the thing while running and others just randomly (always replaced by Sansa). During my hike i kept good care of keeping it out of the rain/sweat. The clip on the back is useful and so is USB recharging.

I would certainly recommend a 10k+ charger though even if you decide to use a dedicated music player instead of phone for everything.
    You do realize that Einstein defined insanity as making the same mistake repeatedly and expecting a different outcome?
    Clearly the Sansa units are POS. How many have you had to replace?

Seriously, if you are tech enough to have an MP3 player(well...1990 tech...) then you have a cellphone. Almost all cellphones are equal to or superior to MP3 players. Put the phone on airplane mode, shut off location/GPS, use an app killer to shut down background running apps and your battery life is about the same as an MP3 player. Plus, if you really want to be tech, get a pair of BlueTooth earpieces and rock on without wires...

Also, I would think that if music is such a part of your daily life that you really want to bring it with you on the trail, all your fav's are already on your phone, and you are bringing your phone....YMMV...just sayin...

Oh...and your cellphone probably has an FM radio app....if not, you can download one that activates the FM chip in your phone. It uses your wired headphones as the antenna. So there's THAT as well...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Seriously, if you are tech enough to have an MP3 player(well...1990 tech...) then you have a cellphone. Almost all cellphones are equal to or superior to MP3 players.
    Often, but not necessarily; a Clip or Shuffle is far lighter, smaller, and clip-able. Some operations are, IMO, more easily done using their tactile interface - often you don't have to even look at it.

[full disclosure: I don't use either while hiking, but I definitely prefer using an mp3 player for music/podcasts.]

I don't listen to much music but I do like my talk radio in the evenings.
    I carry this... https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_206j0pjrj3_b

Great battery life...basic as all get out but has really good reception.

I do have some music on my phone but I get tired of listing to the same stuff over and over again.

IMG_0123.JPG
    Best sound quality hands down would be a high res FLAC/Vinyl player like the Fiio X5 pictured above. It is a luxury item weighing in at 5.8 oz, but can be charged with micro USB, which most battery banks use as their own charger by default, so you can double the usage there. It makes anything Apple sound like it came from a McDonald's Happy Meal. It's like moving from a lawnmower to a Ferrari, once you've listened to a song in lossless on it, you will hear details and notes that your brain could never distinguish. Great for vinyl Beatles records, Audiobooks and any other audio that sets your whistle.

That's my one luxury item that I will not go without. It has 2x micro SD card slots and you can pick up 200 GB cards for <$60 online. That's 400 GB of capacity for $120, but they have just come out with 500 GB cards, so it is possible to have a terabyte, but those are more expensive than cocaine so I'd wait till 2018-19 for the prices to come down.

Check out the weight of some of the Cowon brand players. They typically have long battery life and support many file formats including FLAC.

Images

I purchased a SanDisk Clip Sport and I have been very pleased. I use it when working out, working in the yard, and hiking. Listed at 1 oz and good battery life. Last November while tenting at the Overmountain shelter we were forced into the tents and down bags early due to the cold. It was nice to pick up several local radio stations with the FM featrue for a variety of talk and entertainment.

The "decent sound" you want isn't a function of the player so much as the speakers. Most earbud speakers aren't going to have any bass to speak of. You can get lightweight over-the-ear headphones, but those will add some weight and quite a bit of foam cushioning bulk. You'll probably want to go to a store where you can make listening and comfort comparisons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++