WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Camp soap

I carry hand sanitizer for hands and same for dishes if needed, just rinse well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    There are a growing number of hikers that claim they don't need soap. As far as I'm concerned it's gross. There are also a growing number of norovirus outbreaks on the trail. I don't think it's coincidence.

The trick is to only bring a small amount of soap, even the smallest bottle at the store is usually 4oz, which is a bit excessive if you're going light. Personally I fill a 1oz container (a repurposed hand sanitizer container works well) with Dr. Bronners soap which is both natural and biodegradable. Most washing only takes a few drops, so even the small bottle I bring can last a few weeks.
    I also bring Dr. Bronners, but does anyone know if it is strong enough to kill all the stomach bug viruses that are out there? In addition to boiling water, I use it for my cook pot, spoon, knife and along with hand sanitizer, I use it to clean my hands. I am, however, curious if it has the same germ and virus killing properties as camp soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I carry a small bar of soap and some shampoo for the occasions when a shower is available but soap isn't.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    I also bring Dr. Bronners, but does anyone know if it is strong enough to kill all the stomach bug viruses that are out there? In addition to boiling water, I use it for my cook pot, spoon, knife and along with hand sanitizer, I use it to clean my hands. I am, however, curious if it has the same germ and virus killing properties as camp soap.

Normal soap (bar soap, dish soap, Dr. bronners, camp suds, etc.) does not kill bacteria or viruses. Its purpose is to break up the bond that they have to your skin so that they can be washed away with the rinse water. Even soap that is advertised as " antibacterial" does not kill bacteria when used for normal hand washing (most of these claims of being "antibacterial" contain fine print that the soap needs to be used full strenth for fifteen minutes to kill bacteria.)

The only type of soap that reliably kills bacteria and viruses are types of antimicrobial soaps such as the ones that are commonly found in hospital and surgical settings.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    None of that kills virus. Hand sanitizer only kills bacteria. It does nothing to kill the things which might make you sick. By using hand sanitizer, your killing off 99.9% of "germs", but that allows the 0.1% left to multiply unchecked and encourage resistant bacteria to grow which might be more hazardous then the 99.9% you killed off.

Washing or otherwise keeping your pots and cooking stuff clean prevents mold from growing, which could cause a tummy ack. Given the type of food most hikers eat on the trail, getting sick from bad food is unlikely. Your more likely to get sick from eating a bad salad in town.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

A mini bar of soap for me too. I use Ivory because it is just plain soap (thus biodegradable and unscented). Use for washing hands and face. Pot doesn't need washing. Everything in it gets sanitized by boiling. I think getting the unscented is important.

I don't bring soap but I do bring hand sanitizer. I don't cook in my pot and just heat water for FBC.

You need one or the other; soap or hand sanitizer. The key with both is to keep it away from water sources.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I would say resoundingly NO.

Yes, washing with just water, especially hot water as suggested above by rocketsocks, will reduce bacteria, but it does so by rinsing them away, not killing them. Water dilutes stuff and can wash it away. Hot water breaks down more bonding and thus can wash stuff away even better. Soap, by design breaks down even more bonding and enables even more stuff to be washed away even better. Vigorous scrubbing breaks the bonds mechanically while hot water and soap break them more chemically and/or thermodynamicly if you will.

Generally, in my experience, the term antibacterial is more synonymous with antibiotic or "toxic" to bacteria. Water is NOT toxic to bacteria.
    Gotcha. TU. I ask because in many countries around the world numerous data analyzed studies clearly conclude washing hands with plain old uncontaminated water clearly reduces bacterial infection. The conclusion I take away is that removing bacteria with water rather than killing bacteria is a step in itself in the right direction. Vigorously washing with soap, even non advertised as "anti bacterial", removes more bacteria. In your career the stakes are higher which is similar to hospital, infectious disease laboratory, and food service arenas.

I was reading some recent FDA conclusions banning 19 of the most common found chemicals in antibacterial soaps and even went so far to officially go on record stating, "there's no data demonstrating that over-the-counter antibacterial soaps are better at preventing illness than washing with plain soap and water" and "Consumers don't need to use antibacterial soaps, and some of them may even be dangerous."

“Consumers may think antibacterial washes are more effective at preventing the spread of germs, but we have no scientific evidence that they are any better than plain soap and water,” said Dr. Janet Woodcock, director of the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, in an agency press release. “In fact, some data suggests that antibacterial ingredients may do more harm than good over the long-term.”

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm378393.htm

http://qz.com/773202/fda-antibacterial-soap-ban-triclosan/

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/09/02/492394717/fda-bans-19-chemicals-used-in-antibacterial-soaps

Images
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

The OP stated, "Watched a YouTube video where this guy claims that one of the popular items to find in hiker boxes is the bottle of camp soap. He said don't bring camp soap, because its not needed". I watched the same video. That "guy" claimed the soap was not necessary because he stated that he an most everyone he saw on the trail used "liberal" and "frequent" amounts of Antibacterial Gel. I have this hooked to my pack and use it before water breaks, fill ups, meal prep and of course after privy parties. The guy actually held up a fairly good size bottle of Camp Suds; not the smaller Dr. Bronner bottles. The guy also was a "stoveless" hiker/dry eater and gets most calories from town eating not on the trail. So pot cleaning wasn't discussed. However, many hikers are just boiling water and if actually having food in the pot; most scrape the pot, add a little water and drink it clean. I keep planning to get Dr. Bronner's but have yet to do so. My main thought was for laundry and hostel showers in town more than on the trail itself. However, I found this guys insight to be very helpful in determining my personal hiking choices.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I have zero problem with my peas touching my mash potatoes or if a dried fruit falls on the ground, but I'll be damned if I'm making a cup of coffee with swirls of chili mac floating in it...it's soap and scour for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolumpy View Post
    I carry hand sanitizer for hands and same for dishes if needed, just rinse well.
    Do yourself a favor. Google this forum on the subject of hand sanitizer and viruses.
    As for Dr. Bronners soap, buy the 5 ounce bar. Cut it into 1 ounce pieces. Be clean.
    Sometimes you might get lucky and find the liquid Dr. Bronners in a 2 ounce size in the travel section of Bed, Bath & Beyond or equal.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Toolumpy View Post
    Never mind. Dogwood beat me to it with his customary thoroughness.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Many of the handwashing agents we were provided with for use in the ambulance contained some pretty nasty ingredients, and the wipes we had for cleaning equipment expressly stated "Do not allow contact with skin". The need for such strong chemical antimicrobial agents has ocurred due to our foolish and improper use of milder agents and oral antibiotics over the past 20-30 years. We are creating superbugs which require chemical agents so strong, we risk our own health by secondary exposure to them
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

These sheets are impractical for the trail, at least along the east coast where the climate is damp. I tried using these on my LT thru and found the sheet become slick and matted together just from humidity. The sheets stuck together in a mass on the first day.

I'm sure they would work great at home though.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post

I'm sure they would work great at home though.
    No, no they dont
    Basically just a stupid gimmick

Soap that must remain in non humid environment
    And that cant be touched with damp hands
    Brilliant

Wife put some in stocking at xmas once, wasnt even suitable for car camping with scouts or use at hunting camp. Totally worthless crap.

YMMV of course.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-01-2017 at 15:20.

Images

When I take my hiking group and teach them the basics..........filter/treat your water and wash - basic for helping ensuring you can complete the hike and stay healthy I carry Dr B works good, although I don't brush with it

Just use bar soap. It's lighter and last longer . oh and DONT PEE ON YOUR HANDS !

thom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++