WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hiking Again

Default Hiking Again

I did about 750 miles of the AT over 10 years ago (2002 - 2005) and am planning to get back into it in 2017, maybe even an attempt at a thru. I have some questions about how things might have changed since I was hiking regularly. Hope to get some help getting up to speed as I look over my gear and get ready for starting around March 1, 2017. Not sure if this is the right way to start asking quick questions, but here goes.

Back when I was going out regularly the alcohol stove was very common. I have a bunch of them and am wondering if they are still used a lot on the trail and can you still get fuel easily.

As a side question, is there some stove I should really look at buying instead? Not interested in so much in all the numerical comparisons like fuel consumption versus speed to boil (etc) but just more general recommendations on what's being used now that I might want to look at. Thanks.

Dad

The alcohol stoves are still somewhat common but way more hassle than they are worth in my experience. I see a lot of Pocket Rockets (new model coming out soon, the Pocket Rocket 2) and a lot of JetBoils. I personally use a JetBoil SolTi, no longer made, but only slightly heavier than an alcohol stove, cookset, and fuel bottle.

Thanks, soumodeler. Another question, regarding my tent. I have a 2-4-2 tent by Wanderlust from back in that day. It was made by a guy in Myrtle Beach, SC I think, and he has since gone out of business. Sets up using my trekking poles. Am planning to seam seal it again and see how it does. In good shape over all. Am wondering if tents get "old" and should be replaced just for being old so I don't get caught out there with a failing piece of equipment. Also, I am wondering if I should look at a free standing tent instead.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Thanks, soumodeler. Another question, regarding my tent. I have a 2-4-2 tent by Wanderlust from back in that day. It was made by a guy in Myrtle Beach, SC I think, and he has since gone out of business. Sets up using my trekking poles. Am planning to seam seal it again and see how it does. In good shape over all. Am wondering if tents get "old" and should be replaced just for being old so I don't get caught out there with a failing piece of equipment. Also, I am wondering if I should look at a free standing tent instead.
    While not familiar with this tent and its manufacturer prevailing wisdom suggest that fabric does lose its integrity over time. I'd do a backyard sleep out first before trusting it on the trail.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    While not familiar with this tent and its manufacturer prevailing wisdom suggest that fabric does lose its integrity over time. I'd do a backyard sleep out first before trusting it on the trail.
    In a 2-3-4 day rain event. If your current tent has seen better days, look at TarpTent.com or Light Heart Gear for a replacement.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I have had a couple of tents lose their water resistant coatings after several years. So I would assume yours may have as well. Set it up in the yard and hose it down and see how it does.

As for replacements, another vote for TarpTent. I have a Notch as my backup tent and love it. Only reason I don't still use it is due to me switching to a 2 person ZPacks Duplex.

I found this online. Interesting that the two tent companies that I mentioned above are specifically mentioned at Backpackinglight.
    https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...st-nomad-tent/
    The Notch or the Solong 6 would suit you well.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    In a 2-3-4 day rain event.
    Wayne

Yep ! you knew what I meant. Concerning whether to use canister stoves or alcohol comes down to personal preference.
    I have used both, there are pros and cons to each. BTU's vs weight savings. Being able to adjust the boil time /heat vs simply boiling water.
    The JetBoils are real dependable as is the Pocket Rocket. The PR is what I have used for years w/o any issues. Check the many discussions on stoves through an advanced search.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I got around 750 as well in 2015, and mostly saw Jetboils and Pocket Rockets for stoves. Ran into very few alky stoves. I have the Pocket Rocket and I gotta say, fuel was everywhere (hiker boxes, leftover almost finished canisters in shelters, etc...). Can't suggest any tents, I'm 6'2" and use a $40 Ebay tent that's 6x4 feet and I sleep diagonal. It did hold up very well and is somewhat light. I'll use it again on my next thru attempt this year.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    I got around 750 as well in 2015, and mostly saw Jetboils and Pocket Rockets for stoves. Ran into very few alky stoves. I have the Pocket Rocket and I gotta say, fuel was everywhere (hiker boxes, leftover almost finished canisters in shelters, etc...). Can't suggest any tents, I'm 6'2" and use a $40 Ebay tent that's 6x4 feet and I sleep diagonal. It did hold up very well and is somewhat light. I'll use it again on my next thru attempt this year.
    What do you do for a sleeping pad?

I had a cheap tent like that which I bought for my kids to play in when they were young. It was basically like a Coleman Sundome, Sears brand. Maybe $20 15+ years ago. I think the dimensions were 4.5'x5.5', and so I'd have 7' on the diagonal, but that's along a line. You can't fit an XL RidgeRest in there diagonally - XL, maybe even a regular one. Guess you'd have to cut the corners/use a mummy-shaped one. Anyway, it was single-wall, probably terrible with condensation. But it was light and compact.

Images

Alcohol stoves are still a popular choice. However, if drought conditions persist in the southeast, stoves without an on/off switch could be restricted or banned in some areas.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by SkraM View Post
    Alcohol stoves are still a popular choice. However, if drought conditions persist in the southeast, stoves without an on/off switch could be restricted or banned in some areas.
    +1 This is the reason I sold my Caldera Alchohol Stove Unit. I was consistently using my Micro Rocket and once it was confirmed that Canisters were easy to get on the trail, I switched. The Micro is worth the $10 more IMHO.

Also, I had a Eureka Two Man Backpacking tent for years. Finally, one trip it leaked like crazy. What a miserable night. Although I came home and Sprayed it liberally; I lost faith in it. Was ready for the new light weight Tarp Tents mentioned when I got hit with the hammocking bug! Best night sleep ever and now can't imagine crawling on the ground to get into a tent. More power to the younger and older that still don't feel this is an issue.

Enjoy updating the equiptment. Today's products are so much lighter and thought out. I really am enjoying Backpacking as much as when I was a teen; if not even more!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    What do you do for a sleeping pad?

I had a cheap tent like that which I bought for my kids to play in when they were young. It was basically like a Coleman Sundome, Sears brand. Maybe $20 15+ years ago. I think the dimensions were 4.5'x5.5', and so I'd have 7' on the diagonal, but that's along a line. You can't fit an XL RidgeRest in there diagonally - XL, maybe even a regular one. Guess you'd have to cut the corners/use a mummy-shaped one. Anyway, it was single-wall, probably terrible with condensation. But it was light and compact.
    I've got a Klymit Static V that fit's in there perfectly (diagonally). The tent is a Dowson Load Mountain and it seems to be really holding up well. The only thing I changed was the poles, went to thinner ones for weight savings. The whole thing weighs in around 3 pounds so not bad for a $40 tent. haha

- Trail name: Thumper

Thanks for all the ideas. I will probably look at both tents and stoves - these have been fine but based on the feedback it might be worth a look. While we are talking about it, my pack is a P2 from Ultra Light Equipment and also purchased back around that same time - I can't remember which of their current models replaced the P2. The P2 is in great shape as far as I can tell, but I'm not sure how to evaluate what getting "old" would do to a pack that otherwise seems to be ok. I may try it and replace along the way if something goes bad.

Here are the two biggest changes in equipment that I have seen from the time I started backpacking in 2006 (about the time you discontinued backpacking) until now:

First, the Sawyer Squeeze has become the most popular method for making water drinkable among thru-hikers. I saw them all over the place in 2015 and 2016 during my section hikes on the southern part of the AT. This product wasn't even around ten years ago. The most popular ways of making water drinkable then were Aqua Mira, for treating chemically, or some kind of Katadyn brand water filter for those who preferred to filter. People still use these methods, but the trend toward the Sawyer Squeeze has been rapid. Here's a link if you are not familiar with the product (I don't use it; I'm just reporting what I have seen):

https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-s...-system-sp131/

The second significant change has been the introduction of cuben fiber for many trying to get lighter and with the money to spend -- it's an expensive product. It's used for tents, tarps, ground cloths, stuff sacks, bear bags and even rain gear, among other things. I don't remember it being used for making backpacking products a decade ago.
    Last edited by map man; 01-02-2017 at 09:59.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    I've got a Klymit Static V that fit's in there perfectly (diagonally).
    Ah. I had one of those briefly. Too short for me; I'd have thought so for you too, unless you use your pillow off the pad.
    Regardless, kudos! I always get a kick out of people who get a lot of utility out of an inexpensive item.

My $0.02.... if the P2 is comfortable for you, then stick with it for a while as you evaluate all of your gear to determine what you need, what you want, and how much of each your expendable cash will allow. Examine the tent closely to see if it is showing any signs that it may be ready for retirement or if its still a viable option. If the latter, pitch it in the yard for a better exam and also to test for leaks with the hose. If it all checks out then you're close enough to some good hiking to be able to give everything an overnight test run to see what you think. Your sleeping bag, if you still have one, might also warrant close inspection and a test run.

As a guy who sold a Caldera Cone and alcohol stove recently, I can say that for me the advantages of a canister stove (Pocket Rocket, Micro Rocket, Giga, Jetboil, etc.) far outweigh the weigh penalty over a an alcohol stove. I still count ounces, but I do it (at least in part) so that I can enjoy a few luxuries like carrying a Jetboil (I also carry the TiSol).

Welcome back, good luck, and hike on...

Welcome back Daddy-o, good luck with it all.

Images

Hi Dad [smile] ... if you are looking into upgrading your gear, the one thing that has changed my life on the trail, pretty much over the same span of time as you indicate (2003-now), is getting a great sleeping pad. Back when I started I was perfectly okay with laying on any old piece of foam but as the years went by, gosh it got a lot harder to get up and hike the next morning when I did that. I did finally invest in a Neoair pad, that you blow up, and it has made a huge difference for me in how well I sleep, and therefore my whole experience. I have tried different tents, stoves, packs, filters etc. but as I say - it's the sleeping pad that has made all the difference for me.

Welcome back!

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Check this video out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wARB3Ljv404

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++