Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

2015 CT/2016 AT. The dog and I will be starting the trail sometime in May. Anyone want to plan my hike?

Hey ho! It's off to snow I go!
    April 7th start day for me

Had to choose between March 28 and May 11, everything in-between already booked. I'm planning on starting slow, taking multiple leisurely zeros with family/friends/wife in SoCal, so I took 3/28. Just finished a week long recon road trip to visit southern terminus (weird to see in person after viewing so many photos and videos), Lake Morena county park (looks like a nice spot for night #1), Mt. Laguna (tiny town, pop 52, so much snow, couldn't follow trail), Scissors Crossing (definitely taking reflective sun umbrella) and Warner Springs (golf course cafe had great food).

7 weeks from yesterday, I'll be taking my first PCT steps. As I type this, I've just finished tending two blisters on my left foot after 13.2 training miles today through the desert here in So. Nevada with my full pack. For anyone who wonders about it, yes, Superfeet insoles have a break in period.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the trail.

Kyle

Scarf, is this your first time with Superfeet? I ask because I've used them for years w/o problems, or at least, problems caused by them. If its your first time, maybe check what else could be causing the blisters.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Scarf, is this your first time with Superfeet? I ask because I've used them for years w/o problems, or at least, problems caused by them. If its your first time, maybe check what else could be causing the blisters.
    Have been using exact shoe (merrell moab ventilators), sock (darn tough) and insole (superfeet green) combo, and everything was hunky dory until i replaced the shoe and insole. The new insole felt sort of rough and stiff and ended up with a small but painful subcutaneous blister on heel and friction blister on ball of foot, possibly due to slight change in gait to protect heel. Debating whether to tape and go today, or give them a day off. Start day cometh, and that right soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
    Have been using exact shoe (merrell moab ventilators), sock (darn tough) and insole (superfeet green) combo, and everything was hunky dory until i replaced the shoe and insole. The new insole felt sort of rough and stiff and ended up with a small but painful subcutaneous blister on heel and friction blister on ball of foot, possibly due to slight change in gait to protect heel. Debating whether to tape and go today, or give them a day off. Start day cometh, and that right soon.
    Have you worn Merrel Moab Ventilators for a long time (gone through multiple pairs)? I ask because...

I hiked in that combo on the AT (Orange instead of Green SF, though) and never had a single blister. Loved them. I used 4 pairs on the trail, then bought another pair when the last finally gave out. Then, mysteriously, in the last 18 months, the same combo has been causing me blisters (mostly heel and between toes). I switched to a different shoe after hours at the outfitter, and: NO MORE BLISTERS! Kept the same socks and insoles, now wearing Scarpa Neutron.

Maybe a change of shoe will help? Seems like my feet and/or gait have changed, maybe yours has too.
    Righeous
    AT SOBO '13

Montani Semper Liberi-
    Mountaineers are always free

I used to wear Merrel shoes, I think the chameleon but not the ventilator - the goretex one. Anyways, I'm amazed how crappy they are these days, no support, weak soles, etc. The oldschool ones were the bomb, I think they're getting cheaper materials.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    I used to wear Merrel shoes, I think the chameleon but not the ventilator - the goretex one. Anyways, I'm amazed how crappy they are these days, no support, weak soles, etc. The oldschool ones were the bomb, I think they're getting cheaper materials.
    When did you notice the decline in quality? Have to say, I thought it was me, they just weren't the same shoe as they used to be, but chalked it up to being older and more picky.
    I like to saunter. Usually in canyons.
    I wrote a book about my sauntering in canyons: Anasazi of Chaco Canyon
    2017, will start the PCT. Will saunter as long as body and sense of humor are intact.

Not the first time I've heard about the Merrel's. Despite they being incredibly comfortable at REI last spring I did not buy them even though they felt so good because of all the things I've read. I think the REI reviews may say something to the such as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lumberjaime View Post
    Have you worn Merrel Moab Ventilators for a long time (gone through multiple pairs)? I ask because...

I hiked in that combo on the AT (Orange instead of Green SF, though) and never had a single blister. Loved them. I used 4 pairs on the trail, then bought another pair when the last finally gave out. Then, mysteriously, in the last 18 months, the same combo has been causing me blisters (mostly heel and between toes). I switched to a different shoe after hours at the outfitter, and: NO MORE BLISTERS! Kept the same socks and insoles, now wearing Scarpa Neutron.

Maybe a change of shoe will help? Seems like my feet and/or gait have changed, maybe yours has too.

Hmmmm, I'm starting to sense a trend.....

When I'm in canyons, I wear the Merrell Phaser Peak boots, sturdy and lots of support. For normal desert hiking, the Moab Ventilators have always felt good and comfortable, and I've been through 3 pairs, averaging about 450 miles per. For PCT prep, I wanted to get a new pair and new superfeet, put 100 miles on them, then set them aside for on-trail replacement. Its this pair that is causing issues, but only on my left foot. Now that I'm thinking about it, its almost like the left is a bit "off" in construction. Have not had a blister since I can remember, then whammo, same terrain, same everything, just new pair of same shoes and new superfeet, and my left foot has a couple pop up. A bit disconcerting when I thought everything was dialed in.

I've got 6.5 weeks, but man, gotta tell you I'm a bit nervous going through a new shoe selection process this close to start date.
    2017, will start the PCT. Will saunter as long as body and sense of humor are intact.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineKevin View Post
    Not the first time I've heard about the Merrel's. Despite they being incredibly comfortable at REI last spring I did not buy them even though they felt so good because of all the things I've read. I think the REI reviews may say something to the such as well.
    You in Vegas? I'm in Boulder City. Thanks for the info.... I tend to get loyal to things that work, and its looking like the Merrell brand has changed for the worse without my noticing.

I've got 6.5 weeks, but man, gotta tell you I'm a bit nervous going through a new shoe selection process this close to start date.
    Especially if the snow keeps up. Not sure I want to be going into snow covered Sierras in running shoes, or any low top shoes. I'll wear lightweight running shoes up to KM (or maybe more of a cross country shoe for support since I'm 250) but for the Sierras I got a pair of Salomon X Ultra Mid 2 GTX. It's as light as a shoe but a high top. It's a cross between a shoe and a boot. It's kind of like a basketball shoe almost since it is high top for hiking but lightweight.

Especially if the snow keeps up. Not sure I want to be going into snow covered Sierras in running shoes, or any low top shoes. I'll wear lightweight running shoes up to KM (or maybe more of a cross country shoe for support since I'm 250) but for the Sierras I got a pair of Salomon X Ultra Mid 2 GTX. It's as light as a shoe but a high top. It's a cross between a shoe and a boot. It's kind of like a basketball shoe almost since it is high top for hiking but lightweight.
    Thx for the tip. I'll check out the Salomon's. I'm in the 250's, foot support is always appreciated.

It was some years ago, when a pair finally blew out. Recently I was looking at REI for some new ones, I held up some Salomon XA Pros and a pair of the Merrels and told the sales guy "sell me 1 of these" and he immediately said "Forget the Merrels, buy the Solomons". I noticed the sole on the Merrels was super flexible and soft, while the Salomons had a pretty beefy sole (although not as good as the original Merrels). The old ones had almost a boot-stiff sole, the new ones are like sneakers. I have about 10 miles on the Salomons, with a pack on, and so far no complaints.

When did you notice the decline in quality? Have to say, I thought it was me, they just weren't the same shoe as they used to be, but chalked it up to being older and more picky.

Thx for the tip. I'll check out the Salomon's. I'm in the 250's, foot support is always appreciated.
    If you are in your 250's you might want to consider shipping a smaller hip belt for your pack to KM. By time you get to KM your current hip belt may be sliding down your legs since at 250 I'm sure you will lose A LOT of weight. I have a ULA backpack and fortunately you can buy hip belts separately for $40.

May 14, if I stick to that date, and if I bother. La Nina and snowfall might make this year a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ghost- View Post
    May 21st start date for me assuming its approved. Anyone else around there?

I like hiking but my feet don't. My feet are flat. My trailname is Flatfoot. Starting on the 13th of April. Cheers!
    Flatfoot
    AT 2013, GA->ME
    PCT 2017, Mexico->Canada

If you are in your 250's you might want to consider shipping a smaller hip belt for your pack to KM. By time you get to KM your current hip belt may be sliding down your legs since at 250 I'm sure you will lose A LOT of weight. I have a ULA backpack and fortunately you can buy hip belts separately for $40.
    If you're 250's and 5' 9" tall, yeah, that might be a concern. But when you're 6' 6", not so much.

If you're 250's and 5' 9" tall, yeah, that might be a concern. But when you're 6' 6", not so much.
    Trail name: Hulk

Trail name: Hulk
    The Incredible Bulk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++