Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    I'm sorry if you thought I meant that. My point was that an arbitrary # of people starting in Campo is not a solution to overuse.

A permit to cross the patchwork of parks is definitely a super convenience, and a privilege. But in reality, it's only that - a paperwork convenience. It doesnt prevent boneheads from trashing facilities, poking rattlesnakes, or leaving trash around - and to say that it does ignores the realities that some areas need better trail maintenance and facilities.
    Proper hiker education is the final solution in most cases but until someone comes up with a decent alternative to what we have already, we have to follow the rules. 100 educated(LNT) hiker is better for the trail than 20 uneducated one in long run.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineKevin View Post
    ... but it should also be pointed out that I think most of the known trail angels won't take you to the trail head unless they see you have a permit for that day. Or am I wrong? Does Frodo check?

I don't know if they do. They request the info on their form. Wouldn't be surprised if they did.

http://sandiegopct.com/departing-to-pct-trailhead/

When in doubt, follow the rules. Works for me.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

i dont even want to prepare maildrops at this point with all the uncertainty

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    I'm sorry if you thought I meant that. My point was that an arbitrary # of people starting in Campo is not a solution to overuse.

A permit to cross the patchwork of parks is definitely a super convenience, and a privilege. But in reality, it's only that - a paperwork convenience. It doesnt prevent boneheads from trashing facilities, poking rattlesnakes, or leaving trash around - and to say that it does ignores the realities that some areas need better trail maintenance and facilities.

what makes you think its arbitrary.

The national parks care DEEPLY about protecting user wilderness experience. Its part of their mission.
    Limiting numbers and access is how they accomplish this.

Something the ATC has shown they care NOTHING about.

If your the kind of person that wants to hike with dozens of people and party your way up the trail, youre the exact kind of person many dont want on our trails. If people wanted crowds and partying, theyd stay home in cities.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    The trailhead quotas in SEKI, Yosemite and the Inyo are quite restrictive. Of the trails that cross the east side over to the PCT Kearsarge Pass at 60 allows the most daily entries. Other popular trailheads are in the 10 per day range. It's certainly not millions.
    Bull. First, you are talking overnight camping. But the vast majority of people on those trails are day hikers who do not need permits yet have the exact same impact as an overnighter (except for setting up a tent). They park their cars at Yosemite Valley and hike the trails. Or they take the bus from Mammoth down to Red Meadows and spend all day on the PCT or JMT. Or they drive up to Horseshow Meadows and hike all around there for 8 hours. Or they make the hour drive from LA to spend all day running around naked with 30 beer cans at Deep Creek. If anything the day hikers are worse because they are mere tourists who do not have the same outdoor education as the over-nighters so they leave garbage and crap where outdoorsmen never would. Second, lots of campers just don't get permits. Bottom line is that the PCT hikers are an infinitesimally small amount of the overall users of these trails.

The PCTA permit overrides all these quotas and is quite a benefit to thruhikers.
    Of course we can all agree on this.... then again it goes back to the original argument that not having all those permits probably wouldn't mean anything anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfraidOfBears View Post
    i dont even want to prepare maildrops at this point with all the uncertainty
    Last night I watched 2 hours of an Irish guy's 2016 hike. My jaw dropped when he past Kennedy Meadows considering that 2016 was a drought year. All the lakes were frozen, there was snow every where, and he had to do some fairly dangerous bouldering to detour around steep iced over sections. And 2017 should be like 10 times that. So I feel your concern..... But then again, for the other %90 of the video there was snow no where near by (or at least not on the trail). So the snowy Sierras are only a portion of the trail, but only getting 1mph for any portion of the trail can be a demoralizing killer.

Bull.
    No bull. Yes, people overrun Yosemite Valley, but 99% of them never leave the valley. You get a mile from a trailhead and you have things pretty much to yourself. That goes for Horseshoe and Onion Valley as well. If you venture off the PCT you'll find the Sierra can be a very lonely place. The PCT is a very tiny piece of the Sierra.

The comments you make about dayhikers are the same comments people make about thruhikers. They leave a trail of illegal campfires, used TP, cigarette butts and all the trash associated with water caches and trail magic in their wake. The thruhiker explosion of the last few years has seriously exacerbated these problems. People come west and bring the AT community party with them. Wrightwood was a zoo last May. So it goes.

Cheers.

No bull. Yes, people overrun Yosemite Valley, but 99% of them never leave the valley. You get a mile from a trailhead and you have things pretty much to yourself.
    Have you lived at Yosemite? Because I have, for over 2 years, on the "deserted" east side. Let me tell you some thing, there is no such thing as a lonely place in a national park in the summer. Maybe Denali or something but NOT Yosemite. I don't care if you are in the Valley or Toulumne Meadows, there are people every where.

I'm considering a SOBO LASH through most of Oregon. Gotta catch that eclipse. Hope to meet some of you as you pass through on your way north.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Have you lived at Yosemite? Because I have, for over 2 years, on the "deserted" east side. Let me tell you some thing, there is no such thing as a lonely place in a national park in the summer. Maybe Denali or something but NOT Yosemite. I don't care if you are in the Valley or Toulumne Meadows, there are people every where.
    I have found many lonely places in Yosemite. I get your point, though, the valley and TM are overrun.

Images

I don't care if you are in the Valley or Toulumne Meadows, there are people every where.
    I think the point is once you get out of the valley or Tuolumne Meadows, solitude can be found. I thought the JMT permit system kept the hikers on that trail at reasonable levels. When I hiked just a little bit off-trail, I usually had the wilderness all to myself. Solitude can be found in Yosemite if you are willing to really get into the backcountry.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Hey, I'm Fawkes, formerly know as Qtip on the AT 12,15. Here at the PCT trail head for a thru hike but won't be starting for a few days. If any hikers wanna meet up I have a car and time. You can shoot me a text (919)333-8232.

Start date is May 22nd. Plan on deliberately making my way to KM to see what the actual snow situation is in the Sierra. If it looks do-able, it'll be motor time to Manning. Otherwise, I'll call it a section hike and take my butt home.

Excited to put this 8 pound baseweight to the test.

Hey everybody, I'm Achilles. My girlfriend (who does not have a trail name yet) and I will start at Campo on April 6. We plan to hike to KM at a comfortable pace, arriving mid to late May. Then, we're gonna enjoy the adventure that this high snow brings.

This is the wrong place for this.

Will be continuing my section hike (year 4) on the 9th of Aug. from Ashland to at least Cascade Locks.

My trail name will be "prim8".
    Looking to NOBO from Campo to Cabazon, start around mid-April to early-May, depending on the "news" regarding snow levels on the trail. Don't want to posthole on San Jacinto flank. Anyone have recent news on this?
    Also, looking for hassle free spot to park my car near Cabazon. BLM has a lot at upper end of Cottonwood Road with a 14-day limit and I don't want to arrive "late" and find a parking ticket or my vehicle missing (towed or stolen). Any feedback regarding this issue?

Hi! I'm Naomi. I'll be starting in a couple weeks from the Mexican border. I'm hoping it's not too late of a start. Particularly as I plan on starting slow and working my way up to 25 mile days. Although I guess it will help with snow. I'll see ya'll on the trail.

Naomi

That's the spirit. I'm in the same boat. Stuck starting late, but with the snow it might work out, who knows? After about the first week I figure most of my plans will be out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmtnchild View Post
    Hi! I'm Naomi. I'll be starting in a couple weeks from the Mexican border. I'm hoping it's not too late of a start. Particularly as I plan on starting slow and working my way up to 25 mile days. Although I guess it will help with snow. I'll see ya'll on the trail.

Naomi

Good luck Y'all. Everybody will or will not be stuck at KM.
    The NOBO HOBOS hit 300 miles in 19 days.
    https://nobohobos.wordpress.com/2017...ully-eventful/
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++