WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ideas for a one person tent

I am looking for a light, one person, double walled tent that can fit a 6'3" person with a little extra room since I am normally a restless sleeper. I am not looking for a tarp tent or a hammock. I do hammock camp but I am looking for a tent. I have the REI Half Dome 2+ which is very spacious and heavy for backpacking. The camping I do is mostly in warmer climates, lowest is around 30 degrees Fahrenheit camping in the southeast.
    Most of my reading here everyone points toward tarps and I am not convinced on them yet, a friend of mine uses one but still doesn't appeal to me.
    Thank you for your suggestions and advice in advance.
    I would do a through hike if it wasn't for job restrictions, so section hiking it is.

I did forget to add freestanding to what I am looking for in a tent
    I would do a through hike if it wasn't for job restrictions, so section hiking it is.

There was just a post about REI quarter dome 1 and 2, which are on sale right now. I like QD2 for solo for extra room.

SMD's Skyscape Trekker?

Maybe one of the Big Agnes UL2 tents?

On my list so far is the quarter dome, BA fly creek, and the BA cooper spur. I have also looked at the nemo hornet. Are there any others that I should look at and consider? I am a big proponent of quality, I like to buy something that lasts which is something I should also add to my list.

My Trail Company makes a UL1 and UL2. They're the old Go Lite tents and they're quite nice. In fact, Big Agnes nabbed them for a brief period and rebranded them as their own Triangle Mountain tents (I know bc I have one). They might be a touch heavier than the Big Agnes Fly Creek series tents but the quality is there and the price is more attractive. However, if you're okay buying used then you can grab a used Big Agnes in good condition for the same or less.

My husband and I used a BA copper spur(3) for our thru hike. I loved it so much that I bought the BA copper spur 1 to use when I go alone. I like to keep my pack inside my tent. I am 5'3" and it is a tight fit for me. You might want to consider the 2man. We went to REI and climbed inside the tents they had set up to make our decision.

Quote Originally Posted by C-shell View Post
    My husband and I used a BA copper spur(3) for our thru hike. I loved it so much that I bought the BA copper spur 1 to use when I go alone. I like to keep my pack inside my tent. I am 5'3" and it is a tight fit for me. You might want to consider the 2man. We went to REI and climbed inside the tents they had set up to make our decision.
    thank you for that, good to know practical size. I don't mind my pack out side, I tend to wrap it on a tree or put it in my vestibule, but like I mentioned I am a restless sleeper at times.

Quote Originally Posted by SubSquid View Post
    I am looking for a light, one person, double walled tent that can fit a 6'3" person with a little extra room since I am normally a restless sleeper. I am not looking for a tarp tent or a hammock. I do hammock camp but I am looking for a tent. I have the REI Half Dome 2+ which is very spacious and heavy for backpacking. The camping I do is mostly in warmer climates, lowest is around 30 degrees Fahrenheit camping in the southeast.
    Most of my reading here everyone points toward tarps and I am not convinced on them yet, a friend of mine uses one but still doesn't appeal to me.
    Thank you for your suggestions and advice in advance.
    Seems to me you've got a very good tent for what you're seeking, except for the weight. In particular, at your height, the half dome 2+ has a very generous floor length of 96". One doesn't usually see more than 90" except in a tarp-tent style shelter (which, frankly, I would not rule out if you already use hiking poles ... for, what's the difference what kind of poles you set up a tent with? Unless you plan to leave the tent up and hike during the day (one can always buy a separate poles, or use cord).

I think you probably should look for a tent that has about 30 sq ft. A true 1P tent tends to have about 20 sf, but that leaves little margin for the tall and restless. At 30 sf, you have more wiggle room, and it's not really a 2P tent. More like 1.5P, i.e., 1P + gear, or 1 big person + rolling around. The REI QD2 is 28.7 sf, almost 2 lbs lighter ... it's off their website now, so perhaps they've sold out of the old model. New one coming soon.

Another you could consider is the LL Bean Microlight UL 2. It has 90" floor, 30.5 sf, and about 6 oz lighter yet than the QD2. I have the previous model (in heavier fabric - this new "UL" one is 30% lighter than mine). I find 30 sf to be the sweet spot for me. I'm 6'1". As for quality, one does take risks with super UL fabrics, but LL Bean will back it indefinitely. I do not call them on their satisfaction guarantee for wear and tear, but I have had them back things that fell apart before wearing out, and my experience is you can count on them.

I looked up a number of other tents for you at the REI website, but many are less than 90" in floor length. Once you account for sloping walls and the stake-to-stake measurement convention (it's not 90" inside the tent), I think you, at 75" tall, need at least 88" in nominal floor length, and given your restlessness, I'd set the minimum at 90".

Good luck!

CSpan is right on. Keep in mind that a lot of tent manufacturers measure tent length from stake to stake, not the actual interior floor length. You may want to lay your sleeping bag out and measure its exterior from end to end. That'll help you separate the wheat from the chaff when trying to find a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by G-FOURce View Post
    CSpan is right on. Keep in mind that a lot of tent manufacturers measure tent length from stake to stake, not the actual interior floor length. You may want to lay your sleeping bag out and measure its exterior from end to end. That'll help you separate the wheat from the chaff when trying to find a solution.
    Case in point, I just measured my Big Agnes Triangle Mountain and the floor measures 81"L x 41"W (@ foot) x 52"W (@head) where the manufacturer listed the measurements as 86" x 44" x 56". I have a Fly Creek HV UL1, also, if you'd like to know the actual floor measurements for that one, too.

Keeping the 90" floor length as the primary requirement along with freestanding, then weight, then money, what I came up with is:

Brooks-Range Mountaineering, a little heavy for one person at 3 pounds, but freestanding, 90 inch floor length, 42" height and 45sq ft of space. Huge, really. http://www.backcountry.com/brooks-ra...NhdDcxMTAwMDQx

Sierra Designs Flashlight 2FL, under 3 pounds with 90 inch floor and 46 inches of height. I'd def. be wary of the wind when I pitched it! http://www.backcountry.com/sierra-de...F0NzExMDAwNDE=

A non-freestanding that comes in under 2 pounds, uses your hiking poles, has 88 inches of floor(every inch usable)and 45 inches height is the BA SuperScoutUL2 http://www.backcountry.com/big-agnes...NhdDcxMTAwMDQx

It takes some research to ferret out the floors that won't work for you. Hope this helps a little.
    If you didn't mind 3.5 pounds and HUGE space for one, try the BA FlyCreekUL3, a free-standing 2.5 person tent with 90 inches of floor space. Its on sale now too!!!

Good luck!

For a little under 3lbs, the Eureka Spitfire would work. I dont think anyone would confuse Eureka's build quality or material choices with those of Big Agnes (or a similar company), but Campsaver has a 20% off sale which would make it about $115 shipped which may make it more appealing...

http://www.campsaver.com/spitfire-1-...erson-3-season

If that might work then there is one for sale here. The price listed is way too high, IMHO, but it is OBO.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...o-tent-100-OBO

Double wall and freestanding requirements rule out some seriously nice and lightweight options, such as the Zpacks Altaplex, which weighs 17.9 oz...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Brooks-Range Mountaineering, a little heavy for one person at 3 pounds, but freestanding, 90 inch floor length, 42" height and 45sq ft of space. Huge, really. http://www.backcountry.com/brooks-ra...NhdDcxMTAwMDQx
    That's an interesting one, but I don't understand how the description says "45sq ft of liveable comfort inside" but the specs say "Floor Space 30 sq ft". That's quite a difference. [Vestibule is listed as 6, so that doesn't make up for it, not that it should count anyway].

Also the description says "this tent somehow manages a 42in height" but the specs say "Interior Height 39 in". I suppose the former might be the exterior height, but they really ought not promote that in the description, if it's 39" inside.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Double wall and freestanding requirements rule out some seriously nice and lightweight options, such as the Zpacks Altaplex, which weighs 17.9 oz...
    Agreed. The SMD Skyscape X is a hybrid cuben shelter with 80% of the fly configuration being double-walled, it weighs 17oz, and it uses only five stakes.

TarpTent.com
    Don't be fooled by the company name. These are real tents. Either full mesh or partial solid bodies. 1 & 2 person floor plans. Adjustable floors for either interior or vestibule space. They all set up fly first so no rain inside. The Rainbow, Moment and Scarp models can be set up freestanding with trekking poles or optional crossing poles. Durable and made in the USA. Worth a serious look.
    Last year I made a tent purchase. I had BA & MSR tents in front of me. I chose the MSR Hubba Hubba over the BA tents for durability, stronger poles, better doors, more shoulder room and the ability to set up the fly only without buying the footprint I didn't want or need.
    I used the Hubba Hubba in Colorado above 10,500' and thoroughly like it.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    That's an interesting one, but I don't understand how the description says "45sq ft of liveable comfort inside" but the specs say "Floor Space 30 sq ft". That's quite a difference. [Vestibule is listed as 6, so that doesn't make up for it, not that it should count anyway].

Also the description says "this tent somehow manages a 42in height" but the specs say "Interior Height 39 in". I suppose the former might be the exterior height, but they really ought not promote that in the description, if it's 39" inside.
    Scratch the Brooks! I looked at the manufacturer's website and talk about misleading dimensions...it will barely fit a 78"pad and then it slopes in at 45 degrees until the max floor length is 90 inches! Although, I suppose if it is only one person and you centered the pad...too much weight/money for what it is...sorry for my bad in not researching it further...
    http://www.brooks-range.com/Foray-Tent-p/4206.htm

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    One of the things I hate most is water of any kind in my sleeping area, and that's why I am looking for the double wall, and the price tag on that scares me a bit.

I really appreciate all the information so far, I will be looking at a lot of this, I didn't know about the LL Bean microlight which looks nice, and the eureka which I will now compair them to the previously mentioned REI QD, BA Flycreek and Cooper Spur, and nemo hornet.
    Also how durable is the Cuban fiber? The only time I have had contact with it was on one of my section hikes and a gentleman had a hole in one of his new bags and was only 2 days in to his hike with it, luckily he had the repair kit handy but that is really the only interaction I have with it, and all the reading and videos of course.
    Again thank you

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++