WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Shoulder surgery

Well I'm having shoulder surgery for torn labrum tomorrow morning. Its just hitting me now that my backpacking trip for spring might have to get cancelled. For those of you who had similar surgery, when we're you able to shoulder a pack again?

Journal Entries
    Images

12 weeks if you rest it as they tell you for the first six weeks, and then gradually preform physical therapy. Have you considered a Dixon Rollerpack for you trip? Or something similar... dixonrollerpack.com

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
    Well I'm having shoulder surgery for torn labrum tomorrow morning. Its just hitting me now that my backpacking trip for spring might have to get cancelled. For those of you who had similar surgery, when we're you able to shoulder a pack again?

I had my upper bicep tendon relocated with some clean up including the labrum. I had the surgery in February and was backpacking in April. Shouldering a pack wasn't a problem. I did do physical therapy, massage therapy and weight lifting to recover. In hindsight, I could have done more aerobic work, but in the end I walked back into shape.

If it's a rotator cuff repair, it usually requires 12 weeks of immobility and then PT.

Images

I've had 2 surgeries for torn rotor cuff,detached bicep and bone spurs.Then came the MARSA infection.Now I'm working on tear #3 and my pack does not bother it. I use and external frame pack and mine has a "floating" suspension where the shoulder straps cris-cross so there's very little weight on my shoulders.I'm having some trouble using my left arm to turn my truck steering wheel but no problem wearing 35+lbs. in my pack.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Looks like I'm on the 12+ week plan because they had to put in anchors.

Yep. Good luck. Don't be in too much of a hurry...

http://www.physiodc.com/managing-exp...labral-repair/

If you haven't already, check out a GameReady, http://www.gameready.com/professiona...pression-wraps

It will lessen your pain and speed up your recovery

Is it raining yet?
    Images

I have had the lucky misfortune of having both labrums surgically repaired at different times. I was able to shoulder a 10lb day pack w/in 6 weeks and ride a bicycle in 8 w/ no problems. I didn't even try to go backpacking for 3 months, but had no problem when I did. It's not the carrying the pack that's the danger, it is the picking it up and putting it down.
    Be Prepared

What's the nature of the injury? How badly is it torn?

Pre backpacking career I tore my labrum several times as an organized semi pro tennis player. It really effected my overhead and serve. I never tore it badly enough to require surgery. I corrected form, rested the upper body, adopted a strict/stricter inflammatory diet and lifestyle, and did rehab.

No problem in backpacking.

As said, not always but often, depending on the state and degree of the injury, it's taking the pack off and putting it back on, raising the arm and having a heavy load where the discomfort really comes in. For extended trips ask your orthopedist.

Journal Entries
    Images

Different for different folks. Age being the big factor. My Mom was born without a rotocuff. Died at 91 without a rotocuff. I never noticed had to be told by a confused PT person when she was well past 80. She is like feeling around cause Mom could not certain stuff she wanted her too. Looked for a scar all that. Than says hey she doesn not have a rotocuff. Her response My father tld me God marked those he loved the most. Wonder if they even knew what a rotocuff was in 1921 when she was born?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What's the nature of the injury? How badly is it torn?

Pre backpacking career I tore my labrum several times as an organized semi pro tennis player. It really effected my overhead and serve. I never tore it badly enough to require surgery. I corrected form, rested the upper body, adopted a strict/stricter inflammatory diet and lifestyle, and did rehab.

No problem in backpacking.

As said, not always but often, depending on the state and degree of the injury, it's taking the pack off and putting it back on, raising the arm and having a heavy load where the discomfort really comes in. For extended trips ask your orthopedist.
    I think he has already had the surgery, 12 weeks out

Speedy recovery Glacier. My daughter had this surgery to correct a volleyball injury. She had a pretty good tear and required 5 anchors and some smoothing/cleaning up. The labrum heals slowly so take it easy. PT is important. All cases are different but my daughter would have had trouble shouldering a pack at 12 weeks. Some of it was pain from the labrum, some pain from the multiple entry points for the anchors, but mostly weakness and lack of mobility of the shoulder.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I had my post op visit today and was able to talk to the surgeon more about recovery. As stated before it's going to be 12 weeks before I can safely shoulder a pack...which will work out for my backpacking trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    I think he has already had the surgery, 12 weeks out

Oops. TU...

Images

If get the chance try water Aerobics. There are belts that you can wear that help you float/help you not have to work so hard to breathe. Water Aerobics and then time in the hot tub did wonders for me when I was rehabbing my torn achilles. Good Luck to you.

Greenlight, This is the first time I have seen anyone mention the Dixon rollerpack. I have shoulder issues and am well past 50. I am thinking seriously about one! I will be doing a section hike from Springer to NC border....which will be my first time hike on the trail. I am planning on the end of March. I have to make a decision since the time is just around the corner. Has anyone out there used one or know of anyone who has? Any imput would be helpful. Thanks.

Images

The AT is a footpath. I do not believe wheeled devices are permitted, plus having walked the section you have in mind a rollerpack would be harder to use than a backpack. Far better to focus on as light a pack as will do the job for you. End of March weather is another consideration.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Interesting question. I have actually dragged a sled of supplies to a PATC cabin along the AT in a foot of snow. I think the wheels make it verboten.
    Be Prepared

++ New Posts ++