WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Question Trekking Poles & GPS SOS

I have practically everything that I will need to start my thru hike in April 2017. The only thing that I am told I must get is trekking poles and a GPS SOS tracker like the SPOT.

So, any tried and true suggestions for each? I have actually never used either type of equipment. My previous hiking partner and life partner never used trekking poles, and their parents payed for the SPOT they carried due to parental concern over safety.

I appreciate any advice and suggestions, as these are the last two items on my list...

Just my 2 cents:
    I like my Delorme (Now Garmin) InReach. I use it as a 2 way SOS device, not so much as a GPS on the AT. You can send and receive text messages...

And my Walmart Trekking poles have gone about 1000 miles with no problems. I would not hike without poles now that I have used them for a couple years. Felt silly as hell first, then I realized my knees felt great.

Journal Entries

Be careful about letting other people dictate what you "must get." If you don't need/want poles and a GPS, that's up to you. You're the one who has to carry them.

That said, my poles are one of the most essential items I carry. Would not attempt a hike without them. Mine are Leki Cressida.

I'm getting a reputation as "The Pole Guy" but, here goes: When I started my thru-hike in '12' I had NO poles. I got to Mountain X-ings in January and still would not buy any. (You can get a set at WalMart for $20 - on trail their hard to find for under $100) "World Wide" told me: "Pilgrim, you may have started this hike without poles, but I'll guarantee you'll finish it with them!" And, he was correct. When the spring thaw comes with the rains the southern AT is slicker than puppy poop pudding. One hard landing on your keister and you'll be shopping for poles. Check the stats on their ability to assist with speed and weight lifting and you'll be sold. As we recently learned however, they are NOT a required piece of life saving equipment. But, they sure do help! (Personally, I think anything which science proves makes you lighter, faster, stronger, and less likely to fall down is a requisite piece of life saving equipment, but that's, as they say: IMHO!)

I carry a SPOT now too. Not so much for rescue purposes, but for communicating with Mama Bear. Much of the AT below Harpers Ferry is a service dead zone, where everyone is clamoring for power and signal. I push my SPOT when I leave camp, and once I've made camp so that the wife knows I'm OK, moving, and where I last was. This way I don't even need to power up my phone until I'm in a town where I can get signal and power up. If you read the report on here about the hiker that died in the Whites recently, the SAR member is quoted with saying words to effect of: "pushing your SPOT means that a rescue is 8-12 hours away". Not real handy if your femur is jutting out of your hip at a right angel!

I agree that GPS tracker similar to Spot device is not a "gotta have" its a nice to have but given most folks hike with cell phones (with Verizon coverage) and live with the limitations. IMHO a separate device is not needed on the AT. A FYI is that in areas with marginal cell reception a text had a much higher likelihood of getting through than a call.

It would be interesting how many of these Spot devices get sent home. I expect once someone is on the trail and realize how the majority of the trail is quite "crowded" and generally close to some civilization that they realize they don't need it. If you are paranoid and want the best chance to get rescued pick up standalone PLB. This is the one I carry http://www.mcmurdomarine.com/persona...n/fastfind-220. These are only for emergency use, if you feel you need to leave electronic breadcrumbs and communicate with the real world, spot type devices work but the signal quality is less and someone has to pay a subscription.

Funny how in the good old days thruhikers survived their thru hike with an occasional payphone call and letter or two along the way. Now folks complain if they don't have continuous 4 G service.

With respect to poles, many thru hikers carry them all the way to Katahdin, if they didn't find them essential they would have been sent home long ago. On flat and level sections of trail they actually slow me down so I just carry them in one hand. The other value I find is that unfriendly dogs are a lot more wary with poles in my hands. Most of the time they just stay away bark and growl but over the years I have had to take a swing at them and they generally take off.

You can see if you want to use poles by getting the Walmart pair for 20 bucks and giving them a go. If you like them, keep them. They are pretty durable. You can always upgrade to lighter. I use Black Diamond carbon fibre poles, but that's because I have them already for BC skiing/snowshoeing...

SPOT v. InReach....you should decide what you are going to use the device for and what you are willing to spend. I will leave the research up to you. Just be aware that it isn't the device's limitations that could make you wait 12 hours for rescue, its the weather and your proximity to a trailhead. Personally, I would find the two-way ability useful enough to justify the additional hardware cost and the subsequent additional fees.
    YMMV.

Here's a hint: Pinging home with my SPOT means I never have to talk to anyone. Unless I want to. While I understand you don't NEED one, I'd advise trying a hike without being connected in the usual way to the outside world. No calls, no texts, no email, no surfing, no movies, no TV. Why? Try it and see. Something different happens when you achieve solitude - even if you do it with others. Isn't getting away from it all and trying something completely different the whole point? I see a lot of the younger set face down in their phones out there nowadays. I like this though because it's easy to be more alone and find the actually interesting hikers worth having a conversation with. Do I carry separate junk? Yes. I-pod, camera, SPOT, phone, solar panel, and sometimes a little laptop too. I keep my camera in one hip pouch, and my I-pod in the other, the solar panel on top charging. The rest of the stuff is packed. If you're nuts about weight yah okay whatev - it's not that heavy. And I personally find that weight mania has been carried a little too far. Pun intended. Everything you need for a great hike is already between your ears.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Both are entirely optional - purely personal preference.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I don't really see a need for an emergency locator beacon on the AT, at least during well-traveled months. However, if you feel you must bring something then by all means go for the InReach for its 2-way texting. Yes, it is more expensive, but I've seen and heard of too many situations where missed SPOT messages resulted in undue worry and even unneeded rescue. We purchased an InReach for our JMT thru-hike (which I promptly had to terminate due to a bad knee) and it worked like a charm for my hiking partners.

You have lots of choices for trekking poles. I've used Leki Makalu's for years and enjoy them, but there are many alternatives now (including your big box store options). I would recommend cork handles, however.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

The more I think about it, the less likely I am to take a SPOT or anything like it. I plan on uploading pictures as I go along, and will remain in contact with my sister during the hike... I am not concerned about my safety- mostly others in my life are.

As for the poles, I am looking for ideas... I have read that carbon fiber are really light, but if you are a clutz like me that you might break them... Then there is this other term- corked vs other material.

What poles do you use? What are the features you like about them? I am looking around, but curious as to what others have tried and or love.

Thanks everyone!!

Poles, sure.

Poles, sure. (and now to continue!)

I did lots of research on the GPS locator hardware. I decided a missed text from the less powerful hardware (e. g. SPOT), would do more harm than good - momma bear would start worrying. The Personal Locator Beacons, on the other hand, are much more powerful and designed for the last ditch help signal. I think my family is more comfortable knowing that I'm in a dire situation I'm more likely to get the help I need than they are getting periodic messages from me. Do some research to learn the differences.

Cork is a grip material that you find primarily on hiking/trekking poles rather than alpine/touring poles.

Carbon fibre is plenty strong and fairly ding-resistant. However, if you gouge one deep enough, it will affect integrity. Same as if you bend an aluminum pole. Its a few ounces in weight savings. The "swing" is also different with a carbon fibre pole, IMHO. I got a cheap set of carbon fibre poles from monoprice dot com for $50 for my TrailPartner(tm). Had them out yesterday on a quick 8 mile loop and they did just fine. Cork grips. Secure fliplocks.
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=15319

Quote Originally Posted by bkristynicole View Post
    What poles do you use? What are the features you like about them? I am looking around, but curious as to what others have tried and or love.
    I like my Komperdell poles, private labeled to LL Bean as the Hikelite model. They are twist lock, not flip lock, but that hasn't been an issue for me. I think if you buy a quality brand, you can have confidence in them. They saved my bacon MANY times, esp. on the Mt. Mitchell trail, which seems to be made of 50% rocks and 49% roots.

I have 2 general suggestions.
    1) IMO, shock-absorbing tips weigh more, all else being equal, and offer no compensating benefit. So I'd say skip that feature - JMO.
    2) At 6'1" I thought I might need "tall" poles since I often buy tall sizes in shirts and jackets. But I didn't. My poles go to 140 cm and I usually set them at 125 or 130. No need for more in terms of hiking. Could be different for use in a tarptent-type situation.

Journal Entries

I like my CMTs. Saved me several times. Replacement sections are like $10 from their website if you do manage to break something.

Journal Entries
    Images

Before you get a GPS. ( spot / Inreach ) read the fine print. The one thing i didnt like about the spot was its a yearly membership. Delorme Inreach is a monthly plan. So i looked at reviews of both. SPOT reviews showed ****ty customer service up to the point people were having to cancel their credit cards to get the payments stopped. Just my two cents!!!!!

Poles, hell yes. I won't hike without them.

GPS, meh. I have my cell if I need something but my family can kiss my butt goodbye. Once I'm on the trail I'll shoot a few messages every night to everyone and in the meantime if I can't due to cell service they can wait a few days. I'm a big boy and can take care of myself, it's not like I'm hiking Mount Everest here. We're not exactly hiking a trail alone here, and even day hikers will be hitting parts of the trail from time to time.

I have use BlackBerry Diamond Alpine Ergo Cork poles. These are very nice, full featured poles, but heavy. I then switched to Fizen Compact poles (via Mass drop to my knowledge not sold in stores in the US). These are ultralight aluminum poles. Very basic but I've come to appreciate the simplicity and lightweight of the Fizan.

I have some super nice Leki aluminum poles that have served me well over the years, but I'm trying to decide if I should make the swap to CF or not. I'll be weighing all my gear this week and will decide then.

Komperdell or Leki - love em both!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++