WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

1) Map/Compass The AT maps are awesome, don't show up with a 1/2 inch compass - too many get turned around in the morning.
    2) Hydration (water) nope - Sawyer Squeeze. & a empty soda bottle with the matching thread.
    3) Food - HB eggs, Home made Jerky, or Cliff bars or your choice.
    4) Rain gear No see number 10 /extra insulation No buy better Fleece please. The best is a down Jacket with hood to supplement your bag.
    5) Fire starter Micro Bic (White) & if you are really lazy or have a cheap knife. Add a cube of Esbit.
    6) First aid (Imodium+pain relief) perhaps a blood clotting patch. Toss th bandaids, that should be your sham wow or neckerchief.
    7) A locking blade knife - leave the small knock off Swiss at home.
    8) A really good headlamp I prefer the Microstream
    9) DWO insect wipes, Sunscreen - debatable. - its a long green tube.
    10) You may already have a tent. so no a Poncho with pre-made reflectix guys and Ti stakes, when the tent gets smashed, or falls apart or you need a vestibule.
    Missed - Storm Whistle (awesome)
    Missed - Short hikes in groups I carry a $1 disposable poncho for those that forget. This doubles as a vapor barrier.
    Missed - a Micro star flash... just me... I like it.
    Missed - really good wax earplugs, (Don't ask)
    Missed-one really large garbage bag wrapped tight. Possibly a 20 or 15 gallon for inside your bag.

Oh leave at home - any tube tents, wire saws, cheap whistles, goofy Mylar blanket anything, most electronics, close to nature bug spray, large survival knives,
    anything that is orange and has Bear Grylls labeled on it, & useless Bear Bells. Hard Candy - Hershey Kisses instead.

Avoid duplication, Avoid single use items - embrace light or dual use.

In the past many here got messed up about the Bic. I have heard from a leader that the BS avoid the Bic as the boys tend to flick it too much hence the matches. I have heard too many stories of Bic failure in wet conditions - you can soak it in water pull it out blow for 1/2 a minute and it will still light. Otherwise go with John Wayne's Wind Matches. REI's are wonderful.

Hope that helps - if not quote me and I will be happy to share answers to my thought's.

That's enough for now.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-05-2017 at 00:22.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Goofy mylar blanket anything? Really?

I'm surprised liquid long johns didn't make the cut!

If you don't carry mittens you'll die. Even in the summertime.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Goofy mylar blanket anything? Really?
    Hey its cold right now - how about you unwrap one and attempt to sleep outside with it, and see if you make it past 3 AM. Something may happen that you may not expect. We have had several threads in the past about this. Testing gear in the back yard is a great way to learn how well some of the mistakes can be made and avoided on the trail and it makes a better experience when you decide to go.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-05-2017 at 11:44.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Hey its cold right now - how about you unwrap one and attempt to sleep outside with it, and see if you make it past 3 AM. Something may happen that you may not expect. We have had several threads in the past about this.
    Its not a primary sleep system. It is an emergency item weighing about 1.5 ounces. Many uses. Including immediate VBL for your bag, that will work even if the bag is damp/wet. Do you have a better survival solution in that scenario, other than prevention?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimskywheel View Post
    I'm surprised liquid long johns didn't make the cut!
    No they would not and I guess you're making light of this, I would recommend a "Under Armor" thin undershirt or knock off Micro poly equivalent and a really good fleece beanie for your head as they weigh very little, and can be left in your jacket pocket. The beenie can defray a lot of cold and if you get too warm its easy to pocket again. You may want the leg versions, but only use them in camp. You may find them too warm when hiking during the day.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Its not a primary sleep system. It is an emergency item weighing about 1.5 ounces. Many uses. Including immediate VBL for your bag, that will work even if the bag is damp/wet. Do you have a better survival solution in that scenario, other than prevention?
    Good question, whats in your pack IS your survival solution, tent, sleeping bag, and some choice of closed cell product to keep you off the ground. So don't get your bag wet, and understand you will sweat each night into it - once you get up, air it out as often as you can. Nothing will prevent frost and moisture from getting into some of your gear.

The Space blanket will trap your moisture and what happens is it begins to rain inside the blanket when you are wrapped up in it, it doesn't trap air to keep you warm, it radiates so little heat back it's not needed for the AT. You sleeping bag will do its job everynight.

Oh I forgot the noise of the darn thing... kept me up every time I rolled over.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-05-2017 at 11:55.

Woo

Here is some excellent info on VBL's...perhaps even a WiseOldOwl can learn something...

http://andrewskurka.com/2011/vapor-b...y-application/

" I just wish they made the Escape Bivvy in an extra long version. "

I agree with you there. It works brilliantly for what it is but a long or wide version would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    " I just wish they made the Escape Bivvy in an extra long version. "

I agree with you there. It works brilliantly for what it is but a long or wide version would be great.
    recently heard of a Christmas tree disposal bag works pretty good.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Second Rafe's recommendation for goggles, and spare hat and gloves, and second the motion for a whistle.

Traction gear - and skills to use it - appropriate to the conditions. At elevation in the Northeast, microspikes aren't going to cut it.

Aqua Mira in the winter. Forget the Squeeze - too likely to turn into the Sawyer Freeze, and a frozen filter is ruined permanently.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    Great list!

I bring sunglasses especially in snowy conditions. I've only had minor snow-blindness. It was not only painful but also remarkably incapacitating. Low sun off cold white sparkly snow can be dangerous …
    Good advice,I learned that the hard way about14,000 ft on pct in tent for 3days sucked.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Second Rafe's recommendation for goggles, and spare hat and gloves, and second the motion for a whistle.

Traction gear - and skills to use it - appropriate to the conditions. At elevation in the Northeast, microspikes aren't going to cut it.

Aqua Mira in the winter. Forget the Squeeze - too likely to turn into the Sawyer Freeze, and a frozen filter is ruined permanently.
    I agree but have had trouble with Aqua taking too long, so I switch to the Chlorine tabs. I still use the filter but there is a spot inside my jacket for the filter. I can't use Iodine as it makes me sick.

Woo

One thing folks from warm climates don't realize is that headlamp batteries should be lithium. Regular alkaline really take a hit when its cold out. The only exception are headlamps with external battery packs that can be placed in a warmer spot. Lithium batteries have a different cell voltage, modern lamps have no issues but some older LED headlamps like the original Tikka didn't deal with it as well. Walmart sells AAAs.

Same thing with GPS units, if you need to rely on it make sure you have lithium batteries.

Here's a link to gear suggestions, photos, etc. from someone who seems to know his way around the White Mountains in winter:

https://resonantliving.wordpress.com...ratures-32f0c/

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Here's a link to gear suggestions, photos, etc. from someone who seems to know his way around the White Mountains in winter:

SHE does know HER way.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    SHE does know HER way.
    Hard to tell from the photo... img_7719.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post

Great link, Rafe!!!

She does know w t h she is talking about. I got one great take-away, that even though it happened to me I never thought of this for the future....clipping an emergency fixed-blade knife to the straps...in case you've screwed the pooch and you can no longer manipulate the buckles!!! Dang. I never thought of that, even though there is one on my kayaking/rafting PFD at all times...looks like I'll be getting another Gerber River Shorty or maybe a NRS Co-pilot...only 4 more ounces...

Plus, ya gotta love her brag flag!

Great link, Rafe!!!

She does know w t h she is talking about. I got one great take-away, that even though it happened to me I never thought of this for the future....clipping an emergency fixed-blade knife to the straps...in case you've screwed the pooch and you can no longer manipulate the buckles!!! Dang. I never thought of that, even though there is one on my kayaking/rafting PFD at all times...looks like I'll be getting another Gerber River Shorty or maybe a NRS Co-pilot...only 4 more ounces...

Plus, ya gotta love her brag flag!
    Eons ago, I was in a sailboat race (Hobie catamarans) where a woman was tangled up in the lines of a capsized boat, underwater. A quick thinking sailor on another boat noticed what was going on, managed to cut her loose and save her life.

AT related -- that race was on Lake Winnipesuakee, in full view of the southern range of the White Mountains.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++