WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Do you recommend an under quilt for a thru hike?

I am sort of new to the hammock but love it after using it on two small trips. ( One trip got down to 20° needless to say I was cold ) Doing a flip-flop starting in mid April from Harpers Ferry going north. I have the warbonnet DL 1.7 blackbird and thinking about getting the Wookie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Until it gets really, really hot you will need some kind of under quilt.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

You have a great hammock, and I am glad to have mated up my WBBB with a Warbonnet Underquilt. It makes sense that products from the same company should fit well together.

I have been using the 3-Season Yeti Underquilt, it has been fine for me down to 20 degrees, YMMV. There is a bit of an adjustment factor with the Yeti, sometimes I have to move it around at night to get it right. It is no big deal. The Yeti would be a good choice to save money and weight over the full length Wookie.

That said, I just got a Winter Wookie Underquilt I have not field tested it yet, but I will be taking it out next weekend. Send me a PM after next weekend if you want to know what I thought.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

With the double layer WBBB, you could try a foam pad between layers. That'd be handy to have if you ever had to go to ground. I've got a single layer WBBB and trying to use a foam pad in that is a pain. If a foam pad would work for you, it'd certainly be cheaper than a high quality down UQ.

My first night ever in a WBBB, 1.7 DL, just like yours....we were on a river, in summer....temps were going down locally (in town) to like 60. So I didn't deploy the UQ (I had a 40 degree 3/4 length with me).....I was cold by midnight. I still remember being upset with myself for having to get up at midnight, find the pack, dig in it......
    So I always deploy the UQ now....I adjust the TQ, liner, whatever, within the hammock.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

++ New Posts ++