WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Missing hikers in Shining Rock Wilderness

Two day hikers weathered the storm last night and were able to briefly make phone contact this morning. Temps are supposed be near 0 tonight. Doesn't say what kind of gear they have and whether or not they have a shelter.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/n...drop/96289790/
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Images

Apparently, they didn't bother checking the weather? It's not like this weather event was a secret...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

"Officials in Haywood County just notified News 13 that the missing hikers have been located and a rescue effort is underway...." from http://wlos.com/news/local/lost-hike...h-remote-areas

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Apparently, they didn't bother checking the weather? It's not like this weather event was a secret...
    Don't quite understand your comment. You don't hike in the winter?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

I sure do, but if they got caught out by the severe weather on a day hike I feel pretty safe in guessing they weren't prepared. Since the incident is concurrent with the storm which affected such a broad area, it's realistic to assume they didn't know how serious it was forecast to be.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I've been watching the forecast and waiting for this weather system all week. We don't get a lot of winter nights on the Upper East Side of Texas.
    I used the approach of the system to test my newest sleeping bag and tent in cold weather. I set up the tent in the backyard Thursday and spent Thursday and Friday night outside. Morning lows were 24 and 14 degrees respectively. I learned what I needed to know. It's currently 19 at 10:10pm. I missed a third night in the teens. Shucks.
    I just read that the hikers were saved from themselves. You can't fix stupid.
    By the way, the tent and sleeping bag were perfect in the cold weather.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Seems like people are throwing rocks without knowing the facts....

The bad weather was scheduled to come Friday, and the news story said these guys set out on a day hike on Thursday.
    Additionally, as the new story points out, they were in a "wilderness" area where trail signs are no longer welcome.
    (Side note: One of the things I like about hiking in the Smokies is that the National Park Service seems to be taking the attitude that it is cheaper to maintain trail signs than to spend money looking for lost hikers).

Not sure that I was throwing stones except to point out that the weather system that moved in was talked about for days. It was not a surprise.
    The good news is that the two hikers had enough gear and supplies to last three days. They were able to start a fire which is good and bad news given the recent fire history in the area.
    I get it. Stuff happens. Sometimes folks aren't prepared for the Stuff when it happens.
    I hope that everyone is safe and well.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I've been watching the forecast and waiting for this weather system all week. We don't get a lot of winter nights on the Upper East Side of Texas.
    I used the approach of the system to test my newest sleeping bag and tent in cold weather. I set up the tent in the backyard Thursday and spent Thursday and Friday night outside. Morning lows were 24 and 14 degrees respectively. I learned what I needed to know. It's currently 19 at 10:10pm. I missed a third night in the teens. Shucks.
    I just read that the hikers were saved from themselves. You can't fix stupid.
    By the way, the tent and sleeping bag were perfect in the cold weather.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

Love truth-testing like that, Wayne!

Images

(Side note: One of the things I like about hiking in the Smokies is that the National Park Service seems to be taking the attitude that it is cheaper to maintain trail signs than to spend money looking for lost hikers).

yup.....

the trails in the Park are some of the easiest to follow with basically every official intersection is marked....

if one stays on the trail and knowing which direction they are headed----its hard to really get lost...............

unlike in shining rock where theres a bunch of intersections and unmarked..............

They were able to make a fire and shelter. They were with each other rather than alone. They survived. Sounds like they were pretty resourceful.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/342...-in-haywood-co

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Seems like people are throwing rocks without knowing the facts....

The bad weather was scheduled to come Friday, and the news story said these guys set out on a day hike on Thursday.
    Additionally, as the new story points out, they were in a "wilderness" area where trail signs are no longer welcome.
    I knew the facts that were pertinent. Bad weather fast approaching...don't go out unprepared. But it seems like we aren't supposed to point out stupidity as many threads have proven lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    Love truth-testing like that, Wayne!
    Thanks. I thought that real world testing was an intelligent and prudent thing to do. My wife had a different opinion.
    Back on topic: Short days and rapidly approaching brutal weather. A noon turn around, or midway to sunset from their start time, would have been prudent. I guess we'll never know all of the details.
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    yup.....

the trails in the Park are some of the easiest to follow with basically every official intersection is marked....

if one stays on the trail and knowing which direction they are headed----its hard to really get lost...............

unlike in shining rock where theres a bunch of intersections and unmarked..............
    I have a good idea of where they may have got off the Little East Fork trail. I hiked up this trail last March(I've been down it twice recently) and encountered a section with several blowdowns.While moving around the downed trees I somehow could not find the trail again.It took me about 5 minutes of looking around to get back on the trail.The lack of trail maintenance could be responsible for many hikers losing the trail.The USFS lacks funding for trail maintenance but has money to send in their Wilderness Ranger to give citations for not having bear canisters or bust someone for smoking a little weed.On 2 of my 3 trips there I met the WR.In about 30 years of hiking the AT on the TN/NC section I've only met USFS LEOs twice.This does not apply to the trail in the GSMNP,where I no longer hike due to the high number of hikers, I've had my permit checked many times.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    . . .The USFS lacks funding for trail maintenance but has money to send in their Wilderness Ranger to give citations for not having bear canisters or bust someone for smoking a little weed. . .
    The former costs money. The later is a funding source. ;-)
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

After checking my map it look's like I was mistaken as to which trail the hikers got lost on.My bad. Becoming lost on many of the trails there is easy to do even for experienced hikers.Failure to carry the appropriate gear is a mistake that could cost your life in winter conditions.Several times on winter hikes ,even some that were not too cold,my hands got cold enough that I could not use my Bic lighter.If not for having a flint steel w/striker and Coleman fuel which let me get my stove and a fire going,I might be posting with shorter fingers.I always pack 3,(THREE), fire/stove lighting devices. A Bic lighter,the flint steel and matches tightly wrapped in my First Aid kit.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

It is very easy to take a wrong path in shining rock. Glad they got out. Could have turned out worse.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    I knew the facts that were pertinent. Bad weather fast approaching...don't go out unprepared. But it seems like we aren't supposed to point out stupidity as many threads have proven lately.
    At least nobody's accused them of not having hiking poles.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    At least nobody's accused them of not having hiking poles.
    They had no poles?!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++