WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default REI return, is it ok?

I am thinking of returning my osprey ag 65 as I now see that lighter gear is the best way to go and makes a big difference. I have used this pack a few times and its essentially new. If I return it for the refund so I can get a different model from another place is it bad or should i just sell and take loss myself?

Their return policy is obviously extremely liberal. But if I was confronted with your decision I wouldn't return it based on what you have said. There is nothing wrong with it, you just don't wan't it anymore. That's not a legitimate return.

Yes, it is wrong.

You used it and find it does not meet your needs. REI policy says this is okay. If you had worn it out, or bought it for a trip, intending to return it afterwards, you would be gaming REI, with is us, your fellow members. As an aside, they sent me the wrong pack (not what they ordered). When I returned it to my local store, they found no record of the reorder, and ordered again. I now have two of the (hopefully) correct packs on the way for the price of one. One will be going back.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

I think the question is...were you satisified with it after using it?

Not...will you be satisified with it forever and ever and ever.

No one will be satisfied with something forever, needs and wants change.
    Would you return shoes because your foot got bigger after using them 6 months?

But...thats their problem. If they are willing to take it back, send it back if thats what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    I am thinking of returning my osprey ag 65 as I now see that lighter gear is the best way to go and makes a big difference. I have used this pack a few times and its essentially new. If I return it for the refund so I can get a different model from another place is it bad or should i just sell and take loss myself?
    Not going to say whether it is wrong or not. Personally I would just keep it as there will be trips where 65L is useful, or it could be a good pack to have and invite a friend to come along. I also use a pack filled with bags of rice and other stuff to get a good workout so I would keep it for that. But not saying you should.

Aside all of those reasons why a second pack is not a bad thing, Consider are you sure a lighter pack will be comfortable. That pack gets pretty good comfort review. Hate to see you send it back only to buy it again in 3 months.

Images

It's kind of a gray area ethically. It's not like the pack is defective. You used it several times. And it met your needs and performed until you decided to change your hiking style. Which most of us do at some point. REI had to change its return policy a few years back due to a small % of members essentially using it as a free gear rental source. The impact on revenues/profits was substantial, given that gear is a low margin business, especially nowadays with internet shopping. There's that line between legal and ethical that we all have to choose and then live with ourselves.

Just my opinion, but I think using the return as a store credit to purchase replacement or other gear or supplies is a nice compromise.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

What is that age old question...if you are asking yourself if it is wrong you have already answered the question....something like that :-)

Images

just sell it for a good price and use the money for the new pack.......

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Interesting.. i received the osprey AG 50 liter pack for Christmas and returned it for the 65 liter.. i reasoned that i don't have to fill it up, but i liked the exterior features the bigger one has..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a privilege of being a co-op member. Don't abuse it.

That being said, if you've never taken advantage of the return policy in the past, and you've been a long-time member, I say go for it. IMHO, the only grey area is returning it and then not replacing it with a product from REI...

It's good that you reached out for advice on this. REI used to have a great return policy, but due to people abusing it, that policy became what it is now. Still a great policy, but if people continue to use it as not intended, it may also go away.

This is a gray area, but I say if the pack performed as you expected, then you should sell it for a profit. Your reason to return is that there are better options out there, which to me, doesn't indicate that the equipment was a failure or didn't suite your needs. There will always be new and better equipment.

Best of luck with your choice.

Images

Notwithstanding REI's generous return policy, I personally believe that returns should only be made when a product is defective or breaks under warrenty, etc. It is wrong to seek to make a return simply because tastes or preferences have changed.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I've got a 60 liter for summer and a 75ish liter REI Mars for winter. My winter sleeping bag and extra clothes needed for cold weather trips require me to use a larger backpack on cold weather trips. Perhaps the OP should consider keeping his REI pack for this reason... and the other reasons listed: for a friend, as a spare, etc.
    The saying around here is HYOH, but Shakespeare said "To thine own self be true". If I was talked into a product by a REI employee and it turned out to be wrong for me, I would exchange it at REI for another product. If I chose the product myself and later decided to go ultralight with all my gear, I wouldn't make REI eat the cost of a pack since neither they nor their product did anything wrong.

Adding to many of the above posts I will offer a simple bromide, "if there's a doubt, there is no doubt". There is an underlying doubt since you ask the question if the pack should be returned since is not due to product failure or dissatisfaction with it during use, but a different pack is wanted now.

Most people who are into this activity with any seriousness have several packs that are used for different types of hiking or as loaner packs. If you don't want to have different gear for different circumstances and its "essentially new" and relatively unblemished, you should be able to get a significant percentage of your investment back and use it towards your next investment.

I disagree with taking used stuff back because you just changed your mind.
    Yes, a grey area, so this is pure opinion:
    When it's unused at all, no problem. If you try it and it's flawed or just doesn't work for you, no problem. But if something new comes out or you decided you didn't research what you wanted enough (and it's used), then I wouldn't return. We've all bought stuff that wasn't wise, and luckily yours is something with good resale value or other purposes.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

REI policy:
    "100% Satisfaction GuaranteedWe stand behind everything we sell. If you are not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund within one year of purchase.
    REI’s guarantee doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents.
    If your item has a manufacturing defect in its materials or workmanship, you can return it at any time."

If you bought the pack less than a year ago I would say it's OK to return according to their policy. Wether it's the right thing to do or not is up to you.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries

That (the OP's posting) is the exact reason for the REI satisfaction guarantee return policy and why one shops at REI and how one is suppose to shop at REI and one of the main reasons for shopping at REI.

I have worked in IT in the retail industry. Large retailers track purchases/returns and blacklist outliers. I am not familiar with any REI specific procedures. There is no way to know when you have crossed the line. It's all figured out algorithmically based on average customer behavior and metrics the retailers set. This is not something the employees at a particular store are likely familiar with as the "blacklist" part of the equation is implemented rather deceptively.

Just use common sense. Personally, I would not return even a lightly used item if the only issue with it was a change in my personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    That (the OP's posting) is the exact reason for the REI satisfaction guarantee return policy and why one shops at REI and how one is suppose to shop at REI and one of the main reasons for shopping at REI.
    It is certainly the sales pitch their employees are trained to present to customers. The back office part of the retail industry is not nearly as cheerful and understanding.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++