WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Operator error. Guilty your honor!
    Guthook app. No cell service. No WiFi. Used the app's Share Location feature to send myself an email. Turned on cell service. Bingo! Email arrives with location. Take a photo of your campsite as a backup.
    You could do the same with a traditional Noon position. Just like Chichester and Slocum did.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The Avenza Maps app will do what the original poster is asking for and is a free app available for iPhone or Droid from the App Store or Google Play. USGS 7.5 minute quads are available to download on the app at no charge. Many other maps including Nat Geo Trail series (including AT) available thru the "Map Store" that is part of the app for a charge. Many other maps available either free or for a charge thru the app. Also custom created geo referenced PDF maps can be downloaded on the app and used. You must have cell signal or wifi to download maps to your phone but then can use the app as a GPS without any connectivity. Tools allow you to "drop a pin" or run tracks. You can also attach photos to your pin drop. To the original post you can turn the phone on when you get to your campsite, drop a pin and take a picture and then turn the phone off. When you are ready to send such to someone back home or to yourself (and you have a cell signal) you can "export" your map as a KMZ file via email (the app sets all this up and basically two "taps" and enter the name /address in the "To" section of the email and hit send). Receiving party opens the KMZ file in the email in Google Earth and the pin (or your track or both) now appears at your location on Google Earth with the photo link attached all in one simple send. Discovered this a few years ago thru my work but utilize it on virtually all of my recreational adventures now. And I am not very techno savy so if I can make it work....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    A compass just gives direction. Is the app's compass tied to the GPS of the phone? Or does one need to to shoot another bearing? I'm guessing the first answer (or it uses cellular triangulation or both). A phone compass uses the phones internal position sensors, whatever indicates tilting of the phone. The one I have on my android is like that at least, and the user typically has to calibrate it by waving it around.
    You are correct about calibrating the compass but my point is if all the OP needs is coordinates for where he is standing the factory installed compass app will give that to you apart from the compass reading. It puts the coordinates on the bottom of the screen.

It looks like this
    20130926ios7_compass.jpg
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Or, you could use a small note pad. <1 ounce.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Or, you could use a small note pad. <1 ounce.
    Also suggested in post #4.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++