WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

cat can stove (if I'm carrying a stove)
    rubber bands & zip ties
    mini bics
    smart water bottle
    caps off a smart water bottle
    talenti ice cream jar/stripes PB&J jar (for re-hydrating meals and storing them while hiking (when stoveless)
    grocery bags
    fast food condiments
    duct tape money clip
    Z Packs cuben dry bag *I was awarded the dry bag a good deed I performed. Some hikers were partying at the Plumorchard Gap Shelter the night before and instead of splitting their trash up and hiking it out, they decided to just leave it. I hiked a contractor trash bag full of beer bottles/cans, wine bottles, half eaten food, and whatever else hikers felt like tossing in there. I had the bag of garbage tied to the outside of my pack, the contents were dripping out the bottom, and every step I took made it feel that much heavier. A hiker by the name of Square Peg came up on me right about the time I was getting frustrated and cursing out loud. He said something along the lines of "you guys must have had a party last night." I wasn't too happy with the comment at first, but took a second to catch my breath and explain exactly why I has 20lbs of garbage strapped to my pack. After that he offered to split the load with me and help carry it out. We ended up crossing a forest service road where we a pickup truck was sitting and left the bags of trash in the bed with a note apologizing for doing so. When we got to camp that night Square Peg told other hikers of my quest to pack out others' trash and gave me a brand new Z Packs Cuben Fiber pillow bag. Sorry for the short essay...just thought about what I had to do to get the free bag.

Dollar Store 2pk Bandanas with a free matching Dew Rag for my Bald Head!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Fill plastic straws with seasonings by sealing the ends, easily resealable for multiple use.

My stove and cook set.
    Free and weighs 0 ounces.
    They are also invisible....

For real though a ziplock for a water scoop if needed. Some carry a cut down bottle, ziplock is lighter (though the weight savings is barely measurable) and it pours well into a bottle. Had a little scoop cup I lost, and a water source I had to scoop and that's when I had my lightbulb moment. I know of at least 2 other hikers that started doing it after me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 2EZ View Post
    I would love to know how much of an expert you would be trying that bit of "wisdom".
    I would love to know how many wilderness medicine courses you have taken???

Safety pins have been used for wound closure in emergencies since their invention.

"A better, though significantly more painful, option is to use safety pins. Like the needle and thread, the pins should be sterilized as best as possible, with alcohol or fire. In order to close the wound properly, you’ll need to pin through a large amount of skin around the wound to keep it tightly closed. (Otherwise the pin will just slide back and forth and the wound will remain open.) Space the safety pins every half inch or so along the cut." http://www.survivalright.com/survival-first-aid.html

"A safety pin is recommended by wilderness medicine texts as one of the most useful tools for your
    first aid kit.1 Its many uses include removal of foreign bodies from the skin or cornea; drainage of
    abscesses, blisters, subungual hematomas, and thrombosed hemorrhoids; skin testing; holding
    gaping wounds together; splinting a mallet finger; fashioning a sling for shoulder and arm injuries;
    removal of ticks; puncture of plastic bags for irrigation of wounds; and pinning the tongue to the
    lower lip of an unconscious victim to establish a patent airway." Physicianspractice.com

Yeah, so....where are your credentials in wilderness medicine from, again?

Bluebird

I asked some builders constructing a new house whether they had any scrap Tyvek. Got a 4ft x 8ft piece for zero dollars.

Images

While doing my business on a PA section hike once, I found a red bandana that had been used as a sh_ _/pee rag. It was as good as new after taking it home for a washing. Later I took it an a 2 week off trail backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon. While hiking in the Colorado River, as it was easier than the cliff option at the time, I slipped and gashed my shin open to the bone on a sharp piece of travertine rock. As we were about a week into the trip, the only thing
    three of us had clean to stop the bleeding was the red bandana that I had not used. While trying to stop the bleeding, I couldn't stop laughing at the irony of the situation. Who needs that first aid kit now Mr. skinflint?

15 fluid oz steel black bean can with lip/rim at the bottom of the can to help it sit/stay on an alcohol cat food stove. A thin plastic/cheap 8oz used plastic water bottle for the fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    I would love to know how many wilderness medicine courses you have taken???

Safety pins have been used for wound closure in emergencies since their invention.

"A safety pin is recommended by wilderness medicine texts as one of the most useful tools for your
    first aid kit.1 Its many uses include removal of foreign bodies from the skin or cornea; drainage of
    abscesses, blisters, subungual hematomas, and thrombosed hemorrhoids; skin testing; holding
    gaping wounds together; splinting a mallet finger; fashioning a sling for shoulder and arm injuries;
    removal of ticks; puncture of plastic bags for irrigation of wounds; and pinning the tongue to the
    lower lip of an unconscious victim to establish a patent airway.
    " Physicianspractice.com
    I didn't know that skin testing was a wilderness medicine skill. I doubt that who ever wrote this article ever actually tried any of the highlighted items with your average safety pin.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    I didn't know that skin testing was a wilderness medicine skill. I doubt that who ever wrote this article ever actually tried any of the highlighted items with your average safety pin.
    You can't leave an item sticking out of the eyeball until you get them to a hospital hours later. The involuntary blinking reflex will cause the offending item to really damage the cornea...It's just like using a needle for a splinter on your finger...

The skin testing is the pin prick for pain sensitivity...no pain response is no bueno...just sayin....

You use the pin to remove what's left of the tick's head/mouth if you've botched the removal...just like a needle and splinter...just sayin...

So, your partner takes a fall and has a serious head injury along with a punctured lung due to impalement on a hiking pole. Partner is unconscious, seizing, and has a sucking chest wound....what do you do first? Establish an airway. How? Grab tongue, extend tongue to open airway, pierce tongue from top through bottom and continue through lower lip, close safety pin. Now you can work on that sucking chest wound...just sayin...

Dude, nobody thought of this stuff and wrote about it in the abstract. It's all been done before...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    You can't leave an item sticking out of the eyeball until you get them to a hospital hours later. The involuntary blinking reflex will cause the offending item to really damage the cornea...It's just like using a needle for a splinter on your finger...

The skin testing is the pin prick for pain sensitivity...no pain response is no bueno...just sayin....

You use the pin to remove what's left of the tick's head/mouth if you've botched the removal...just like a needle and splinter...just sayin...

So, your partner takes a fall and has a serious head injury along with a punctured lung due to impalement on a hiking pole. Partner is unconscious, seizing, and has a sucking chest wound....what do you do first? Establish an airway. How? Grab tongue, extend tongue to open airway, pierce tongue from top through bottom and continue through lower lip, close safety pin. Now you can work on that sucking chest wound...just sayin...

Dude, nobody thought of this stuff and wrote about it in the abstract. It's all been done before...
    Were you a combat medic? Sounds an awful lot like the stuff they teach in combat lifesavers courses.

Do a search on Walmart.com for 'backpacking tent' and you'll find quite a few options under $50, some clones of popular name brand tents and even some as light as 3 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Dollar Store 2pk Bandanas with a free matching Dew Rag for my Bald Head!
    I need to get one of these. Bald here too.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by G-FOURce View Post
    Tossing a meah bag over a tree limb seems like a recipe for getting it hung up on branches. Have you had that happen?

I sew my own UL stuff sacks from Tyvek 1443R. Its not quite dirt cheap, but its very cheap compared to buying a ZPacks cuben fiber sack or Sea To Summit Ultra-Sil sack in the same size. I have a larger one sewn using Tyvek Homewrap that I use for hanging food and trash on the bear-bag line. All of the Tyvek is scrap material from other projects, so it is essentially free.
    Never had it hang up, must be picking the right limbs. If it did it would probably be easy to tear down.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Unscented trash compactor or large turkey roasting bags for pack liner 3 @ $2

MYOG alchy stove. Less than $3.

MYOG Fosters or Heiny Keg cook pot with lid. About $3 if you have the side can opener already.

3 Shamwow microfiber clothes for $7 that made 9 trail dirty/wash/cook cloths. Gave all but two away.

To save money and stay clean, I purchased a basin off of eBay that weighs only 2.4 oz and under $3. Think sponge baths inside your tent, that is how I will save money instead of trying to grab a shower at a hostile or other place that charges. It is collapsible so it doesn't take up much space at all. I like that it's big enough to stick your head in and wash your hair, it's also handy if you want to soak your feet after a long day of hiking--oh hey, just soaking my feet inside my tent while I cook up some food. Well, I don't cook but you get the point. Ok I'll shut up now.

Memphis ninja x light weight nylon gloves with a polymer dipped palm and finger tips 1.4 oz a pair, made for industrial use.

I know, I know, socks work great .... unless you actually have to use your hands when its cold and wet outside.
    You'll love these, about $5.00 on Amazon

I keep a pair in every car and jacket pocket.

Journal Entries
    Images

Cut off bottom of a 1 gallon milk jug - Nearly indestructable Bowl, Wash Basin, Water Grabber
    Polycro - Ground cloth, pack cover, Condensation barrier, Rain skirt, liners
    Turkey Roast Bag - Stuff sacks, Foot protection in wet shoes/gloves, Pack liner, Pocket liner
    Tyvek - Ground cloth, rain skirt
    Bleach - water purification
    Cat food can - stove
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

I'm thinking that a thread called "hiking on a budget" or similar could be a good sticky to have under the cottage Manufacturers one.
    Something that gets updated with the best suggestions that have worked for several not just as an exception (we all know one guy that claims to have done 6000 miles with a $10 tent under all sorts of weather (well in his basement...))
    Feel free to mention if it already does exist....
    (no , I am not volunteering)

Shamwow .3 oz

Billy Mays would be proud

.3oz r u sure about that or is it 3oz. ;0)

thom

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++