WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Prepping for a February Start Nobo

I am gearing up for a north bound thru hike with a planned departure of feb '17 and am looking for a hammock sleep system.

I have spent a fair amount of time researching, but every time I hop on the pc, I start out looking at hammocks, then spiral out of control to water filtration systems, Lyme disease precautionary measures, Devil Possums that try to nest in your hammock...the list goes on and on.

Anyway, I am looking for recommendations (preferably based on first hand experience) of a complete sleep system, hammock, tarp,under quilt.

I already have the sleeping bag (yes a sleeping bag...please do not turn this into a top quilt v sleeping bag free for all). Its a Marmot Never Summer 0 degree bag that should suit me well with an adequate under quilt.

A couple options that I do want to have:
    -Tarp with "Doors" (or end flaps, whatever they are called)
    -bug netting
    -weight is a concern, I have looked at the cuben fiber tarps and am open to the expense if the weight savings is worth it.

Overall, for a hammock, tarp and underquilt, I would like to stay under the $600 range if possible.

Thanks!

Images

You're willing to spend the big bucks on a cuben fiber tarp, probably to save weight, but are adamant about using your sleeping bag? That is a missed opportunity to save a pound right there. Staying under 600 for a tarp, underquilt and hammock is fairly easy. I would go cheap on the hammock in order to spend wisely on a good underquilt from Hammock Gear or any of the other cottage manufacturers and get a new or used Hammock Gear cuben tarp with doors. Hammock wise, look at Dutchware Gear for a hammock. Hold off on getting one of his netless or partial netted hammocks as rumor has it he will be releasing a hammock with integrated bugnet. I would expect it to be cheaper and more quickly available than ordering one from say Dream Hammock or Warbonnet.

Images

Have you ever slept in a hammock while also in a sleeping bag? Its a pain in the arse to get into a sleeping bag in a hammock. Also....have you been over at hammockforums.net?

-Blackbird or Blackbird XLC depending on how tall you are

-winter Wookie or Winter Wookie XLC

-full coverage tarp of your choice

i love my warbonnet stuff. But many here love their hammock gear or Dutchware or Loco Libre stuff.

Signed up today, pending approval

Although Flounder makes good points on Dutch Hammocks and Bugnets; I would go with orthofingers suggestion of Blackbird or XLC with the new Winter Wooki. Next you would have to decide between the HG Palace CF Tarp or HG Standard CF Tarp. The standard can be ordered from Dutch with the hardware to hang it. The hardware alone is close to $80 when not on Sale. You may want to see if there is after Christmas like there was Black Friday Cyber Weekend. I got top of the line Dutch Bling for a new CF Tarp for total under $65 (although only two of minimum six stakes for a tarp with doors). With a February start, are you sure you want to decide to Hammock now? I am totally for Hammocks, but you may just want to go with a Simple Rainbow Tarp Tent ($220) or Z Packs CF Bathtub Tents, if you have $600 to spend. February Start means your learning curve is in tough weather - beginning of a challange.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Although Flounder makes good points on Dutch Hammocks and Bugnets; I would go with orthofingers suggestion of Blackbird or XLC with the new Winter Wooki. Next you would have to decide between the HG Palace CF Tarp or HG Standard CF Tarp. The standard can be ordered from Dutch with the hardware to hang it. The hardware alone is close to $80 when not on Sale. You may want to see if there is after Christmas like there was Black Friday Cyber Weekend. I got top of the line Dutch Bling for a new CF Tarp for total under $65 (although only two of minimum six stakes for a tarp with doors). With a February start, are you sure you want to decide to Hammock now? I am totally for Hammocks, but you may just want to go with a Simple Rainbow Tarp Tent ($220) or Z Packs CF Bathtub Tents, if you have $600 to spend. February Start means your learning curve is in tough weather - beginning of a challange.
    I plan on going out on a couple small excursions between now and then to nail down the set up. I appreciate the advice on tents, but I have no interest sleeping on the ground for long periods of time anymore.

From what I can see, you need a tarp, a hammock, a sleeping bag/quilt, and an underquilt.

Tarp has to be hung and staked out right, hammock has to be strung up right and the quilt has to be positioned properly...

Unless I am missing something obvious, it doesn't seem to be rocket science. Granted, there is talkin and there's doin, but I figure a test trip or two in northern ohio in January ought to be enough to get me going.

If not, the first couple nights on the trail will suck until I get the hang of it.

I have the "Sparrow" by Dream Hammocks. Love it. You have the option of the bug net and over cover. You can carry one at a time and bounce it to your self as needed,

I use UGQ zepplin under quilt, and the "winter dream" tarp. I use a down blanket for top cover My full set up was about $630. I have some added bells and whistles.

Check out UGQ eqipment. and Dream Hammocks. They have high quality products.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Godspeed to you Feb 17 winter AT Nobo thru-hiker hangers with a wt saving agenda. I have a hard time getting my mind around all that.

Check out Shugs videos for winter hammock hanging. Very informative and entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by hikehunter View Post
    I have the "Sparrow" by Dream

Hammocks. Love it. You have the option of the bug net and over cover. You can carry one at a time and bounce it to your self as needed,

I use UGQ zepplin under quilt, and the "winter dream" tarp. I use a down blanket for top cover My full set up was about $630. I have some added bells and whistles.

Check out UGQ eqipment. and Dream Hammocks. They have high quality products.
    Looks like a nice setup. I like the detachable pieces. Couple quick questions, when used with a tarp, does the over cover still condensate in colder weather?

How is the zepplin underquilt when it comes to adjusting it on that hammock?

How much does your set up weigh (roughly)?

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    -Blackbird or Blackbird XLC depending on how tall you are

-winter Wookie or Winter Wookie XLC

-full coverage tarp of your choice

i love my warbonnet stuff. But many here love their hammock gear or Dutchware or Loco Libre stuff.
    I was looking at warbonnet, is the winter wookie under quilt really as hassle/adjustment free as they claim? Looks really easy to set up, that would be a big selling point for me

is the winter wookie under quilt really as hassle/adjustment free as they claim?

Yes.

Two other things to think about: 1. when you start getting into warm weather, you're likely going to want to get rid of your winter under quilt and winter bag. Don't get me wrong, you can vent an under quilt to cover a wider range of temperatures than you can with a bag but, I still think you're going to want to get something lighter.

2. The blackbird comes with a bug net which is removable. You won't need the bug net until you start running into bugs so you can leave it home when you start then have it shipped to you on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Check out Shugs videos for winter hammock hanging. Very informative and entertaining.
    I've seen a few(Minnesota, Linville Gorge, etc) but none were accomplished with a minimalist wt saving agenda during a AT thru-hike starting in winter in mid Feb with a typical thru-hiker mindset of banging out significant daily miles. Maybe, I missed some of Shug's always entertaining vids you could clue me in on that takes the approach I just referred?

Quote Originally Posted by Drapac View Post
    Unless I am missing something obvious, it doesn't seem to be rocket science. Granted, there is talkin and there's doin, but I figure a test trip or two in northern ohio in January ought to be enough to get me going. If not, the first couple nights on the trail will suck until I get the hang of it.
    I saw a guy at Hawk Mt shelter (one of the first on the trial) who didn't set up his trap correctly and got his down sleeping bag completely soaked in a 40 degree rain storm. Never saw him again after that.

So yea, it's not rocket science, but if you don't get it right it can end in disaster. A sucky night could end up with a bad case of hypothermia. If your new to hammocking, getting some practice first is a very good idea. Learning on the trail when things can go horribly wrong is not good. There is probably a reason the vast majority of people use a tent.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I saw a guy at Hawk Mt shelter (one of the first on the trial) who didn't set up his trap correctly and got his down sleeping bag completely soaked in a 40 degree rain storm. Never saw him again after that.

So yea, it's not rocket science, but if you don't get it right it can end in disaster. A sucky night could end up with a bad case of hypothermia. If your new to hammocking, getting some practice first is a very good idea. Learning on the trail when things can go horribly wrong is not good. There is probably a reason the vast majority of people use a tent.
    You're not wrong, and I hope to get out a time or two before the trail.

As for others using a tent, I would guess a lot of people (I fall into this category) had no idea a hammock was a viable option.

It's also a little intimidating/frustrating for newbies asking for help and half the responses are reasons why they shouldn't go a certain route instead of actual advice to help them with their issue/question etc. Seems to happen a lot on forum websites and this is no exception

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I've seen a few(Minnesota, Linville Gorge, etc) but none were accomplished with a minimalist wt saving agenda during a AT thru-hike starting in winter in mid Feb with a typical thru-hiker mindset of banging out significant daily miles. Maybe, I missed some of Shug's always entertaining vids you could clue me in on that takes the approach I just referred?
    He doesnt take a lot of gear with him unless its for keeping warm. In Winter, its much more important to be warm, than have an ultralight pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Drapac View Post
    You're not wrong, and I hope to get out a time or two before the trail.

As for others using a tent, I would guess a lot of people (I fall into this category) had no idea a hammock was a viable option.

It's also a little intimidating/frustrating for newbies asking for help and half the responses are reasons why they shouldn't go a certain route instead of actual advice to help them with their issue/question etc. Seems to happen a lot on forum websites and this is no exception

I hope you didn't take my earlier reply as "negative" and not helpful. I also know that Slow-go"en is also just trying to help and not be intimidating. Hammocking carries with it a variables that must not be taken lightly. The major one being 3 season insulation: much less adding winter to the mix. I would rather be intimating than watch a fellow Newbie suffer Hypothermia, as I did on a 55º night that I wasn't prepared for (condensation on an improper hammock pad). Add to this a Tarp that is similar to a floorless Tent, but still requires a learning curve to get all the subtle parts to it.

I would still suggest a Warbonnet BB or XLC. The bugnet offers a little warmer micro climate if left on. I never remove mine because of my past tenting experience. I haven't used a Sock or Cover, but you are correct that condensation can be an issue if not vented properly or used in the correct temp range. I would defer to someone a lot more experienced. A Wookie would be my current choice for an underquilt and yes it is that easy to adjust. I have no experience with an UQ Protector either. You also must take into consideration that hammocks sometimes come with a 4-8 week fulfillment period, putting you into January before you can take a trip or two.

+1 Shugs Vids, Warbonnet Site / Brandon vids (your correct, not rocket science) but I watched those video's over and over prior to and after receiving my hammock. Kindle addition of Derik Hanson's Ultimate Hang and his YouTube site is also helpful, especially "drip line" information. Finalize the entire set up by going to Dutchware.org and watching his product video's for the easiest Suspension Clips and Tarp set up; unless you desire to use basic knots.

Dogwood,

You are correct that sometimes Shug would not go light weight; especially in his Frozen Hang Video's. Yet, his 20º load has to be lightweight because he uses a ULA Ohm Pack. My set up (same pack) is good down to 20º for sure and I am hoping 10-15º. If I were to leave on a Thru January 1, my pack weight is 19.34 lbs. Skin Out is 24 lbs. minus food and water. Heat of summer that drops to 12.75 lbs. I also don't sacrifice a few conveniences - mainly a pillow, electronics, and camp crocs! However, your point of starting early is well taken. Start date impacts equiptment choices i.e. 0º Quilt and underquilt/sleeping bag vs. 20º. For example I don't have a 0º set up but I do carry a 50º UQ year round so that I can "Stack" my 20º to take it lower.

Sorry if this was to long winded or not sound advice for readers. I often hesitate to post because misperceptions are easy in forums.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

+1 on the Warbonnet BB. So easy to set up and take down and very comfortable. Also a cuben tarp with doors will trap the heat it some. My hammock gear cuben tarp is my favorite piece of gear, very durable and crazy light!

Anyway, I am looking for recommendations (preferably based on first hand experience) of a complete sleep system, hammock, tarp,under quilt.

I believe "Loner on th AT" videos on YouTube show his lightweight gear. He hammocked the whole way and did not spend a fortune on gear.

lots of hammock folks use Dutchware hardware to hang their hammock, tarp etc. but I just use a few well chosen knots

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++