WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I was having a hard time deciding between smartwool and Darn Tough (DT). had a few pairs of both. the smartwool wear out much quicker. They may have been better in hot humid conditions, but I could never really make up my mind on that. At first I did not like the feel of the DT as much. but it grew on me. I actually prefer it now and have bought enough that it is the only sock I wear now unless I am really dressing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    If you are on the break between sizes I think you should try them on.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good info...thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Every pair of socks in my draw are the same color DT and I wear these every day, hiking or not.
    Just counted...I have 11 pair of SW...all Light Hiker in grey. It's much easier when one gets a hole when they're all the same color. HAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    If you've not tried Darn Tough socks and are changing from Smart Wool, you may want to think about a liner sock. When I tried the Darn Tough socks they were rougher than Smartwool and I needed a liner sock to cushion that and to keep my feet warm when the weather got cold.
    I thought it was just me that thought this.

BTW I've put holes in several pr of Darn Tough socks and they aren't even my goto hiking socks. Yes, I know about the guarantee. I like the Dran Tough socks though.

Bridgedale, Icebreaker, and FITS deriver mention too.

Journal Entries

Most people have too many preconceived biasses and notions about socks due too marketing, and whats squishy and comfortable arouind town.

Dont need squishy and comfortable if footwear fits.

Need thin, unpadded, tightly woven socks. Cycling socks basically. These slide against shoe better than coarse padded sock.

When use a liner, this is what you are doing, making up for poor sock / footwear choice
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-21-2017 at 01:39.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Most people have too many preconceived biasses and notions about socks due too marketing, and whats squishy and comfortable arouind town.

Dont need squishy and comfortable if footwear fits.

Need thin, unpadded, tightly woven socks. Cycling socks basically. These slide against shoe better than coarse padded sock.

When use a liner, this is what you are doing, making up for poor sock / footwear choice
    I doubt if there is a one type fits all needs sock solution. My feet have never really gotten along well with thin socks, which required some experimentation with a lot of different socks to find what did.
    Last edited by Traveler; 01-21-2017 at 07:21.

I doubt if there is a one type fits all needs sock solution. My feet have never really gotten along well with thin socks, which required some experimentation with a lot of different socks to find what did.
    +1..........

Journal Entries

Feet dont get along with thin socks?

Or you feet dont get along with your shoe choice with thin socks?

Maybe its every shoe
    Maybe its not
    Only you can tell
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-21-2017 at 11:25.

Thorlo and SmartWool. Thorlo has never ever let me down on the trail and SmartWool ski socks have never let me down on the slopes.

They fit me and never fail me...YMMV...

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I have a few pair of Smartwool cycling socks, and slippery is right. They're fine for riding, but walking...feels like my shoe is gonna shoot off my foot at any moment.

Obviously that's exaggerated sarcasm, but I don't like them for anything other than riding at all...not at all.

My first pair of Vasque - bought in 77 or so - the salesman instructed me to wear liners. I did for about a year then ditched them and haven't worn them since.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Thorlo and SmartWool. Thorlo has never ever let me down on the trail and SmartWool ski socks have never let me down on the slopes.

They fit me and never fail me...YMMV...
    Thorlo and my feet do not get along. Just a personal thing but man do I hate the way they feel.

I even wear Smartwool when I ride my dirt bike (motorcycle).

I never gave it much thought or put it to pen until now...but I have way too many Smartwool socks. HAHA!

Finally made it to REI over the weekend and - purely subjective I guess - if just felt like the SMs would be more comfortable than the DTs. So I'll stick with the SM.

Salesguy times it just right and asked what I thought, I told him, and he said mine was a popular opinion...for what that's worth.

Images

I have gone thru two pairs of darn tough socks already. They lasted about a year including a 600 mile hike. They are good socks and even the light cushion has a lot of cushioning but I had a winter wool socks from bridgedale which lasted 8 winters as my exclusive winter socks. No other socks has come close to that Bridgedale socks(RIP). It was a technology very similar to the technology that is used to make felt so there was no netting involved. I was mourning for 8 days when finally a hole developed in that pair of Bridgedale socks.

Ps: I have the ownership of around half of Bridgedale company so I am possibly biased.!!!

I have some of each.I wear either one but find the Darn Tough to be a little bit tighter and the Smart Wool to fit better and perhaps be slightly more comfortable.You can't go wrong with either.

This may be the world's dumbest question,but why must they be turned inside out to launder?Does it really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I have some of each.I wear either one but find the Darn Tough to be a little bit tighter and the Smart Wool to fit better and perhaps be slightly more comfortable.You can't go wrong with either.

This may be the world's dumbest question,but why must they be turned inside out to launder?Does it really matter?
    Inside
    out cleans the dead skin cells and the attending funk that accumulate from rubbing against your feet. Otherwise, that grunge stays inside the sock when its laundered. Normal socks that are washed daily its probably not noticeably, but I can attest that hiking socks worn for a week or two take on the odor of a dead woodchuck.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Inside
    out cleans the dead skin cells and the attending funk that accumulate from rubbing against your feet. Otherwise, that grunge stays inside the sock when its laundered. Normal socks that are washed daily its probably not noticeably, but I can attest that hiking socks worn for a week or two take on the odor of a dead woodchuck.
    Thanks,I wear hiking socks everyday whether in the woods or not.I wondered if it was about body oils etc.

I switched from Smartwool to Darn Tough five years ago and like DT better. They just keep going and going.

I was going through my gear and actually have found two pairs of DTs that are wearing thin. There is not a hole in them, its just that the cushioning has worn thin. I got them at the factory sale and even though I could get free replacements, I wont as I have gotten several years of use out of them. I use these all the time not just for hiking so they have lot of use on them.

I typically use smart wool phd but they tend to wear out at the heel and bottoms. Very comfy and great on the trail.

Bought my first pair of darn tough. They're not as soft, but I wouldn't call them uncomfortable. I think I might switch to DTs.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I guess my feet arent that sensitive. I've worn out the heals on the two pair of smartwool socks I bought. I switced to darn tough and never looked back. Its becoming the only sock brand I wear, now. I try to buy a pair or two a year.
    yep. all our smartwool socks have worn through in relatively short amounts of time. My first pair of darn tough are going on a year and no signs of wearing out.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++