WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Agree, those 72 miles are kinda boring, though section 5 is kinda cool. If I happened to be home that day, and we could arrange that in advance, I could give you a ride to Kenosha, it's only 50 minutes from our house. A sixer of good microbrew would cover my "cost"...

But better yet, go ahead and skip section 6, one of my least favorite sections (except Georgia pass), and start at Breck.

I would agree with this for somebody who lives at altitude, but for those of us who live at an altitude of 250 feet, Colorado can be quite an adjustment. The trail is certainly mediocre for the first few days, but the process of gaining trail legs and getting acclimated to the altitude can be important.

But I'd agree that the only really nice stretches in the first 6 sections were the Lost Creek Wilderness and Georgia Pass. And, you are right, section 6 wasn't my favourite, and the impact of the pine beetle in that section made it much worse when I did my 2014 thru compared to my 2011 thru.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    I would agree with this for somebody who lives at altitude, but for those of us who live at an altitude of 250 feet, Colorado can be quite an adjustment. The trail is certainly mediocre for the first few days, but the process of gaining trail legs and getting acclimated to the altitude can be important.
    Good point on the Altitude thing, easy to forget living out here, those 1st 5 sections are important for sea-level dwellers. That stretch from Breck to Copper right off the plane from Florida would probably be uncomfortable. Something tells me though the "trail legs" thing isn't an issue for Salty.

Good point on the Altitude thing, easy to forget living out here, those 1st 5 sections are important for sea-level dwellers. That stretch from Breck to Copper right off the plane from Florida would probably be uncomfortable. Something tells me though the "trail legs" thing isn't an issue for Salty.
    Since I live at about 9' above sea level starting low would be a must! Last year I noticed I was struggling on day two on the lower east side of the collegiate loop as I flew in the day prior with no acclimation time. I think after a day or two I'd be fine to turn up the mileage. If I can't get the sufficient time off I may just section from monarch to Durango then the following year do other section to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Since I live at about 9' above sea level starting low would be a must! Last year I noticed I was struggling on day two on the lower east side of the collegiate loop as I flew in the day prior with no acclimation time. I think after a day or two I'd be fine to turn up the mileage. If I can't get the sufficient time off I may just section from monarch to Durango then the following year do other section to finish.
    You could always train by doing laps on your state highpoint, Britton hill. After all, it is 105,000mm above sea level there.

Back to earlier talk, how about acclimating on CT east then Monarch to Durango? Should be easy for you to do in 3 weeks.

You could always train by doing laps on your state highpoint, Britton hill. After all, it is 105,000mm above sea level there....
    Or getting that added elevation acclimation by doing so on your tippy toes....wearing your dancing pants. Backpacking and ballet training all in one.

But seriously folks,
    I'll let the locals speculate when the trail will be open.
    I'm bored. I was checking snow levels in the Weminuche & South San Juan WA. One place where I spent the night is about 150% of average now. Railroad Pass, near Wolf Creek Pass, had more snow than that.
    So, passable in late July or early August? Assuming Armageddon doesn't hit in the meantime?
    Thanks.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

PS,
    I always appreciated driving to Colorado from New Orleans or east Texas. 2-3 days at and above 7,000' helps.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    PS,
    I always appreciated driving to Colorado from New Orleans or east Texas. 2-3 days at and above 7,000' helps.
    Wayne

That's a long azz ride!!! I rode my motorcycle through Texas from Fl on way to Colorado and then South Dakota..........ate the huge steak at that famous steak house in Amarillo....the free 72oz steak............if you can finish it.....didn't happen....

Quote Originally Posted by stumblegasp View Post
    You could skip the section between Denver and Kenosha Pass (Hwy 285 connecting Bailey and Jefferson) and not miss much. That would save you 72 pretty bland CT miles. Of course getting to the Kenosha Pass trailhead could be a problem.
    Agree, those 72 miles are kinda boring, though section 5 is kinda cool. If I happened to be home that day, and we could arrange that in advance, I could give you a ride to Kenosha, it's only 50 minutes from our house. A sixer of good microbrew would cover my "cost"...

But better yet, go ahead and skip section 6, one of my least favorite sections (except Georgia pass), and start at Breck.
    Don't skip it. Take the Lost Creek Wilderness alternate Mags talks about with some of the official CT and/or possibly Roxborough SP or Indian Creek alternates Mags talks about. Other typical examples of Paul offering solid beta! He's never let me down offering solid succinct trail savvy food for thought. Lost Creek Wilderness is a better alternate with, for those not in a run and get er dun bag another ABC trail mentality, various possibly more scenically interesting loop and winding alternates.

Quote Originally Posted by stumblegasp View Post
    You could skip the section between Denver and Kenosha Pass (Hwy 285 connecting Bailey and Jefferson) and not miss much. That would save you 72 pretty bland CT miles. Of course getting to the Kenosha Pass trailhead could be a problem.
    Chaffee shuttle for 10$ during week only....

R U saying Chaffee will shuttle to Monarch Pass from Salida for $10 during the wk?

A suggestion: If you should decide to stop short in the Silverton area, you might be able to hitch south from Molas Park / Pass directly to Durango. It's worth a try....
    It's more than worth a try. Although a longer hitch than going into Silverton pretty much everyone going over Molas Pass south is heading into Durango, an exceptionally outdoorsy crowd town. This hitch has always been easy for me when I chose the right spot on the side of the HWY where vehicles could safely stop or politely chatting up a ride from the Molas Pass Overlook Parking Lot. The Parking Lot works for getting hitches into Silverton as well. Another good spot to get rides especially into Silverton is, as Ercoup said, near the RV Park from cars heading out. Across from the RV Park vicinity is the FS Rd where car campers congregate at drive in car camper sites on NF lands which is also a spot to hitch or get dropped off by the hitch out of Silverton or Durango back to the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
    If you go the lower east route then the RV park one mile south of trail crossing M50, will hold packages. The RV park store had very few supplies, but it did have showers, laundry and a seperate camping area. There is also a cutoff trail going much closer to twin lakes store from Mt Elbert, so no need to backtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
    .. There is also a cutoff trail going much closer to twin lakes store from Mt Elbert, so no need to backtrack.
    This is a non maintained STEEP use trail that eventually connects to the CT probably better to take from the TL Store IMO rather than attempting to know for sure you're on it going the other direction....unless it's recently been signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    ...I resupplied in Salida and stayed at the hostel taking a zero there. The hitch in was interesting ... I got to Poncha Springs and then had to hire a taxi for the rest of the way. Would suggest confirming with the driver that he's heading into Salida before accepting a ride since hitching on a busy road in a place where hikers aren't common is not easy. I arranged a shuttle back to the trail at the hostel. I would probably send a box to Monarch Crest if I do the CT again. ...
    I had same issue getting out of poncha springs...$35 taxi but next time I'd just set up taxi from simple hostel in Salida if no one going that way....
    In Poncha Springs the situation is a kind of weird junction of cross roads, Hwy 285 and 50, where both roads are cojoined for a short distance until the two separate with 50 heading back over Monarch Pass and 285 heading toward Buena Vista. If thumbing it back to Monarch station yourself on Hwy 50 just after where they split just west of the Western Convenience Store between it and the less busy Shell station where a solid paved shoulder begins. Trying to thumb up a ride nearer the separation of HWYs with only rutted dirt soft shoulder makes it much harder for potential rides to pull over after negotiating the separation which is on a curved piece of road. However, if you're willing to socialize a bit to get a ride that rutted soft unpaved shoulder area is there because some people going into and leaving the convenience store park there. Good place to ask for a ride when the convenience store is busy. Asking at the convenience store noticing beforehand the direction vehicles are traveling is another good place to chat up a ride.

If going into Salida often times your ride will be going into town from Monarch Pass. Offering some gas money more often than not most folks are willing to take me on a short diversion to my destination if they aren't late for an appt since I've broken the ice chatting them up sincerely. If not and you get dropped off at Poncha Springs ask for rides at Western Convenience Store or thumb it by standing on HWY 50 just past the other Hwy 285/50 junction near the Poncha Springs US Post office. Walking toward Salida on HWY 50 after the Hwy 285 junction I've twice had rides stop and offer a ride when I wasn't hitching expecting to need to walk all the way into Salida.

If Salty had been hiking with his smiling boy as he had intended he would have gotten a ride no problem. Coffee, Umm I don't know. I might have picked you up if you had been limping.

[QUOTE=Dogwood;2125889]R U saying Chaffee will shuttle to Monarch Pass from Salida for $10 during

I think It depends on how busy they are at the time. I used it to get from BV to poncha springs to drop off the dog then back to chalk creek TH and again when I had to hitch into BV from Cottonwood pass after found food cache gone. They picked me up near grocery store in BV and took all the way up to Cottonwood pass. The drivers were great in fact one of them said her mom was a good friend and hiking partner with Gudy.....awesome folks!

Since my September collegiate loop hike I've been itching to get back out west. Thinking about trying CT, about 3 weeks is longest I can get away so again I'd be on a tight schedule if I can pull this off. What resupply locations are closest and easiest access to trail. I'd most likely mail boxes ahead to save time rather than buy onsite.

I also will be thru hiking the CT in July. Planning a 7/1 start after a few days acclimation in the Denver area. I too live in Florida, Jupiter to be exact. I have read through the End to End doc on PMags and it seems very complete. My plan is to carry no more than 4-5 days of food. Maybe closer to 4 days.

I am planning on going the West Colligate Route. Your thoughts?

I hiked the AT in 2015 and am looking forward to getting out west to see the contrast. I have done Day hikes in Arizona and in Colorado but nothing extended.

Good luck and we might run into one another.

Images

But seriously folks,
    I'll let the locals speculate when the trail will be open.
    I'm bored. I was checking snow levels in the Weminuche & South San Juan WA. One place where I spent the night is about 150% of average now. Railroad Pass, near Wolf Creek Pass, had more snow than that.
    So, passable in late July or early August? Assuming Armageddon doesn't hit in the meantime?
    Thanks.
    Wayne

I seriously doubt if there are ever any real CT snow issues in late July, I've never seen any in nearly 40 years of a whole lot of hiking out here. Sure, there will be massive amounts of snow left on the high peaks and north facing couloirs down lower, but shouldn't affect CT trval that late. Bearcreek or SJ Ron can chime in as they know the SJ's a lot better than I, though I do ALWAYS go down there in July, usually a couple times, best time of year down there, even with a bit of leftover snow.

PS: Jupiter: definitely yes on the CT west, much superior than the CT east. You will have a few snow-packed places going over a couple passes, but zero deal.

And it really is still too early to tell how the eventual snowpack winds up, a whole lot depends on the spring snows. March is THE snowiest month, followed by April. Sure, we've had a huge year so far, especially in the San Juans, but stay tuned. It is supposed to be 71 degrees in Denver tomorrow, by the way. I haven't worn long pants in about a week now.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterkn View Post
    I also will be thru hiking the CT in July. Planning a 7/1 start after a few days acclimation in the Denver area. I too live in Florida, Jupiter to be exact. I have read through the End to End doc on PMags and it seems very complete. My plan is to carry no more than 4-5 days of food. Maybe closer to 4 days.

I am planning on going the West Colligate Route. Your thoughts?

I hiked the AT in 2015 and am looking forward to getting out west to see the contrast. I have done Day hikes in Arizona and in Colorado but nothing extended.

Good luck and we might run into one another.

Definitely do west!!! I'm not set on a trip date yet as I have a few sooner trips before July that I'm working on approval first....got to catch the wife in a good mood to get permission! If I go it will be a fast pack or likely partial as it's tough to get away more than 2+weeks...I was in Jupiter few weeks back on the way to Miami for work...

Sounds like there will be a few of us out on the trail this year...hope to run into some of you although my start date is later.

Last September I was in NM at 7,000'+ the first night. Colorado at 10,000'+ the second night. Camped in a Wilderness Area at 10,500'+ on night 3. I had no trouble between 11,000' and 12,200' either. And I'm old.
    Fair enough?
    Wayne

Thanks Rob! I know it's too soon to tell. I'm just trying to figure out how to get 2 friends and I into the Weminuche next summer.
    Wayne

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++