WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Well I bought my plane tickets......July 2-26 in/out of DIA!!!! Damn one way rental car is steep! $165! From Durango to Denver...I hope the boss (wife) approves orbit may turn into a CDT flip flop.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    i always suggest frisco > breck for resupply. it's a more compact town, the (large) shopping center has a walmart, safeway, and a new whole foods in it. there's also an outfitter there.
    Only reason I plan on Breck as planning mid afternoon day 5, grab hostel for night cause it fits my schedule..also mailing resupply boxes to Dave time don't plan on shopping....

Dave= save......ugg

if you're already planning on staying the night in town at a hostel, a resupply box doesn't save you any time.

$165 for the car rental sounds like a steal to me- durango is really far away. have you looked into flights from durango-denver? sometimes there are $80 promo fares...

get in touch if you need a ride on july 2 to the trailhead, i can provide one!

if you're already planning on staying the night in town at a hostel, a resupply box doesn't save you any time.

$165 for the car rental sounds like a steal to me- durango is really far away. have you looked into flights from durango-denver? sometimes there are $80 promo fares...
    Yea I agree I just would rather have everything bought and ready so it's one less thing to do in town....appreciate the offer I'll likely have my pup so will be starting from Indian creek. Will probably take the public trans to Littleton station area grab a room at the la Quinta and uber to TH in morning.....thx again

i always suggest frisco > breck for resupply. it's a more compact town, the (large) shopping center has a walmart, safeway, and a new whole foods in it. there's also an outfitter there.
    +1 on the Frisco recommendation.

We resupplied and stayed in Frisco last year and it is a great trail town in my opinion. Super easy to get around via the free bus. Plenty of grocery options. There is a Whole Foods in the shopping area (close to the transfer station if I remember correctly) with a big prepared foods section in addition to many options for trail snacks. They even carried our beloved ProMeal bars.

It is an easily walkable town too. we did walk quite a bit just because it was enjoyable to do so. Snowshoe Motel was a just right accommodation (I think it was around 70-75$/night which is a bargain compared to other hotels in the area) if you are planning to stay overnight and the bus stop is right in front of it. I found Frisco a welcoming town worthy of CT Trail town status.

One transportation tip for the summit stage bus....IF you take a bus that you have to pay make SURE you have exact change. The bus drivers have no sympathy for you if you only have a 20$ and the ride costs a few bucks.

As for any concern of finding HEET in the yellow bottle...it was never an issue. I actually think it is harder to find regular denatured alcohol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

all summit stages busses are free, with the exception of the one that goes to/from leadville, which costs $5/each way.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Well I bought my plane tickets......July 2-26 in/out of DIA!!!! Damn one way rental car is steep! $165! From Durango to Denver...I hope the boss (wife) approves orbit may turn into a CDT flip flop.....

You know I keep harping on this credit card stuff. And saving/using freq flyer miles for. $$$$ flights
    Chase United explorer card...50,000 miles sign up bonus- free

Return flight home from durango.....united....one way..on day with saver miles rate only 12,500 miles. Purchased ticket in advance..$550+...(durango-den is $330 alone) . Purchased day before...$$$$$$$. On any day is 25000 miles. Sometimes savers are off hrs, sometimes not.

The sign up bonus miles used that way is easily worth 1000-2000 dollars. Free money. . Dont waste miles on cheap flights, use for $$$$ ones. My outbound to den wuz....$75. and no $25 checked bag feewith the card. Not worth using 25000 ff miles on.

Freq flyer miles normally 50000 miles =$500 ie 1+ tickets, but use for same day tickets, or expensive route, and become worth several times that.

Fly for free
    Pay to drive 7 hrs, and then pay to fly as well
    Hmmm
    I wouldnt take half the trips I have if I didnt take advantage of this type stuff. Im a cheapskates cheapskate, with 2 kids in college now.

Just for salty, since i know hes in fl, not sure where

Screenshot_20170606-220301.png

Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-07-2017 at 06:43.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You know I keep harping on this credit card stuff. And saving/using freq flyer miles for. $$$$ flights
    Chase United explorer card...50,000 miles sign up bonus- free

Return flight home from durango.....united....one way..on day with saver miles rate only 12,500 miles. Purchased ticket in advance..$550+...(durango-den is $330 alone) . Purchased day before...$$$$$$$. On any day is 25000 miles. Sometimes savers are off hrs, sometimes not.

The sign up bonus miles used that way is easily worth 1000-2000 dollars. Free money. . Dont waste miles on cheap flights, use for $$$$ ones. My outbound to den wuz....$75. and no $25 checked bag feewith the card. Not worth using 25000 ff miles on.

Freq flyer miles normally 50000 miles =$500 ie 1+ tickets, but use for same day tickets, or expensive route, and become worth several times that.

Fly for free
    Pay to drive 7 hrs, and then pay to fly as well
    Hmmm
    I wouldnt take half the trips I have if I didnt take advantage of this type stuff. Im a cheapskates cheapskate, with 2 kids in college now.

Just for salty, since i know hes in fl, not sure where

Screenshot_20170606-220301.png

I'm going to look into this...looks great...too late for this trip as tickets already booked. I hear ya about being a cheap skate! I've got a 17 yr old and 11 yr old....gets more expensive each year! I'm glad I paid for their college when they were born......should take a little heat off.......i live in Atlantic beach outside Jacksonville about 2.5 hours north of Orlando. Appreciate the input...

Journal Entries

Best part....dont need return flight in advance. So you can finish early or later on longer trips. Schedule flight when finish, or get close. Or on way to airport. Dont matter. $ isnt a concern. Its liberating.

Whereas a same day one way ticket is likely $500+ , freq fly miles its an $80 charge inside 21 days. United is only carrier that lets book oneway reward flights still i think.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-07-2017 at 12:58.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Best part....dont need return flight in advance. So you can finish early or later on longer trips. Schedule flight when finish, or get close. Or on way to airport. Dont matter. $ isnt a concern. Its liberating.

Whereas a same day one way ticket is likely $500+ , freq fly miles its an $80 charge inside 21 days. United is only carrier that lets book oneway reward flights still i think.

In a perfect world, it would be nice to book your flight home when you re-supply in Silverton. Just go to the library (it's a really nice Carnegie library) and use the computer to book a flight in 5 or 6 days. With that done, it would be a nice, leisurely walk for that final 4 or 5 days of trail

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    In a perfect world, it would be nice to book your flight home when you re-supply in Silverton. Just go to the library (it's a really nice Carnegie library) and use the computer to book a flight in 5 or 6 days. With that done, it would be a nice, leisurely walk for that final 4 or 5 days of trail
    Thats one reason i carry smart phone now instead of 3.8 oz dumb phone. To make travel arrangements.

The other reason is the dumb phone didnt talk to new towers and modern frequencies (4glte), limiting ability to even send text in places.

Just an off the wall thought:
    Did you price the rental car from Denver to Durango?
    Have a great trip!
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Just an off the wall thought:
    Did you price the rental car from Denver to Durango?
    Have a great trip!
    Wayne

Aaaaaaa no...I need the lower altitude to acclimate...just checked out of curiosity....actually more!

You can acclimate driving to Durango.
    No worries. It's probably more since they need to get cars back to Denver.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    You can acclimate driving to Durango.
    No worries. It's probably more since they need to get cars back to Denver.
    Wayne

Yep. You got the best price. I told you it was off the wall.
    Wayne

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++