WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quit My Job

Default Quit My Job

Looking for emotional support, about to put in notice for my job for my upcoming thru.

Images

If you have been talking about your up coming hike, (I know I would be) it should come as no surprise to them.
    I don't know where you work,and it may not matter but I always try not to burn any bridges.

Have fun on your hike!

V8
    ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

I feel your pain. I just started a job within the last four months. Today or tomorrow will be a though day. But this has been a 20 year dream of mine. Not trying to burn bridges but I only life once and I am not getting any younger. Work will always be there. Once my wife approved the trip it was a done deal.

IM me if you want to talk about it

Flutch

I retired from the military in '15 and that was retirement present to myself. I always wanted to try a thru and that seemed like the best time in my life to do it. 2 years later, I'm quitting my job and heading out around April something this year. I didn't finish the 1st time (that was the goal after all) and I'm starting over using what I learned from the 1st trip. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones that have an understanding wife and the 2nd chance to do it Haha. Go for it, don't look back, and have fun! You won't be the only one out here this year who quit their job to undertake a dream. Hope to see you out there!
    - Trail name: Thumper

Good luck, hope it all works out for ya.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I would be right with ya!my ankles shot.dont look back enjoy your hike

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by LeahHoneyBadger View Post
    Looking for emotional support, about to put in notice for my job for my upcoming thru.
    Isn't emotional support from a bunch of anonymous strangers somewhat meaningless and insincere?

That said, it's only a job, and there are others. Good job!

See if you can get a leave of absense.

"I'm goin' for a walk, boss"
    "when you coming back?"
    "5 or 6 months. I'll see you then!"

Quitting can be very liberating, assuming it's for the right reasons. Enjoy your hike

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

You will be a different and better person after your thru. You'll know the job you actually want and are meant to have.

If it is right for you, then do it!

Knowing if/when it is right for you is the key.

No matter what, I wish you good luck!

I am of the opinion that if you hike hard, pay attention to yourself, and remain aware of what is happening, you will grow and maybe have a few epiphanies. Maybe some of the epiphanies will be game-changers. Quite the fringe benefit!

Again, good luck. I hope it works out, even if it doesn't!

Been with the company for 7 years when i told them. Said nothing but the truth. "I need a change mate!" "Change of what?" "Everything."

I rarely have done anything in my life that felt so good. It is going to be the epic start of a new chapter in your life, no need to be anxious. It'll work out just fine.

Believe in yourself.

Baloo

Thanks for all the well wishes. It was a hard thing to do as most of my life has been going with the mainstream and not doing things like this for myself.
    I was very much in a panic as this was one of the last things to do to fully commit.

To Uriah - hopefully I get to meet these lovely people in the next few months and they are no longer strangers
    To Flutch - Good Luck, You too will feel liberated!

Images

Good Luck. Go for it!

I quit mine as well!

I work for a super cool company so I gave them 3 months notice, and always have the option to go back to work with them (when/if something is available) if I want to when I get back.

See you out there. NOBO Mid-March.

I'm starting March 6 NOBO and doing the approach. I gave my company a 2 month notice and they were quite understanding and appreciative of my honesty. It felt great to tell them and was a HUGE step mentally in preparation of the upcoming life changing adventure! Do it and don't feel bad.

If folks are leaving their job amicably and potentially would like to work for the company again in the future, its definitely worth sending a few emails with photos along the way (in the good old days I heard of people actually writing something on the back of a post card but expect that's ancient history). No sense burning bridges.

Journal Entries
    Images

Here's my emotional support for you: You're only 35! I wish I had my 35 year old body back to hike in, but I'm pretty well invested in this 51 year old frame. At least it isn't an 81 year old frame, though I do hope to still be hiking at that point. Your job, your career, your life...will quite likely be completely different after you complete this thru-hike. Be one of the 20 percent that completes your thru. Hike the miles. Be true to the friends you meet. Relish that feeling of waking up in the morning refreshed like a ten year old at the beginning of Summer vacation, ready to go out and play! Listen to your body, especially your feet, and take care of them as soon as they're telling you something is wrong. Eat the giant stack of pancakes. Wet your hair under the waterfall. Do the half-gallon of ice cream challenge. Hike naked on Hike Naked Day in June, even if it's only for half a mile. Participate in the 'safety meetings' and find out who you are again when everything else but walking, eating, and sleeping is taken away. The fact that you're even starting this year is testament to your spirit. You've got this!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    I retired from the military in '15 and that was retirement present to myself. I always wanted to try a thru and that seemed like the best time in my life to do it. 2 years later, I'm quitting my job and heading out around April something this year. I didn't finish the 1st time (that was the goal after all) and I'm starting over using what I learned from the 1st trip. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones that have an understanding wife and the 2nd chance to do it Haha. Go for it, don't look back, and have fun! You won't be the only one out here this year who quit their job to undertake a dream. Hope to see you out there!
    Christpoh, I myself just retired last summer. I wish the best for you!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Thanks brotha. I was stationed at Pope for 11 and a half years, then retired out of Moody, A-10 weapons/HH-60 combat rescue. But to get back on track...
    Thought after retirement would be a great time to take a little time for myself and find out what I wanted to be when I grew up. A few years later, I still haven't a clue. Maybe on this next thru attempt haha.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++