WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-18-2016
    Location
    Sudley, VA
    Posts
    715
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    I'm with you, though I've discovered Smuttynose "Finestkind IPA" and it reigns supreme over my Sierra Nevadas, Upland Brewery's "Dragonfly IPA" and Founder's "All Day IPA." These are my four most favoritest quaffs on Mother Earth. An easy fifth is Kona Brewing's "Castaway IPA." All of them wash away any residual post-hike ails, trading ails for ales.

    Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    A six pack of Sierra Nevada is all it takes...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hiking is the best teacher, it grades on a curve.
    AT miles: 255.5 / Total miles: 905.27

    Author of "Hiking Into Trail Days"



  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,208

    Default

    I'm not a believer in having to hike to get in hiking shape.....sure wish my daily fitness routine was hiking! I've never had any issues staring out doing 15-20 miles per day for up to about 2 weeks at a time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-05-2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Age
    74
    Posts
    1,139

    Default How long does it take you to recover from a hike?

    Twice now, my hikes have cone to an end due to a knee issue. both times it took about a month of "doing nothing" for the knee to heal. Then it took 6 months of exercise to recover from that one month of doing nothing!

  4. #24

    Default

    A good night's sleep, a hearty breakfast, two cups of tea, and it's time to get on the trail. Too much stopping, sitting, standing around, life indoors and in the front country is much more taxing and requires more recovery time.

  5. #25

    Default

    I get a serious case of the munchies after a couple of days on the trail. Nothing a few burgers can't fix

  6. #26
    Registered User Old Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-10-2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    2,591
    Images
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by josh_ATL View Post
    I still to this day walk funny, and do the "hiker hobble" for a little while when I first get out of bed. I kind of doubt you can ever heal completely after a thru hike, instead your body just learns to adapt to increased levels of pain.
    This for me as well. Did the summit on 03 OCT 2016. Was taking 1 Aleve, 2 Motrin and/or 2 Extra strength Tylenol per day for 5+ months.

    Shoulders still hurt, but not as much.
    Feet still hurt when I first get up out of bed. Still wobble. Have not had to take pain meds in 2 months, tho. PF in both feet.
    Knees still get stiff if I sit for an hour or two.
    Going DOWN stairs I have to use the rails. Up the stairs, no probs at all. Go figure.

    On the Trail - in bed usually before the sun went down. Up with the sun. Usually slept well after right ankle pains settled down.

    Best day BEFORE PA - 21.5 miles. Not many over 18, though. AFTER PA, best days not over 17. Legs, feet, ankles and knees beat to pieces. Pain meds upped in dosage after PA.

    Lost 50 pounds - have gained 30 back due to moderate inactivity. Hoping to have stabilized and begin slow reduction.

    Mentally: still bitter over Trail layout and location. Just barely starting to recall the good points. I do watch AT videos and get wistful for cooler weather and hiking for the day.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    18,092

    Default

    How long does it take you to recover from a hike?

    I hike to recover.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-07-2013
    Location
    Kingston, Ontario
    Age
    24
    Posts
    50

    Default

    it takes a while for the longer trips mentally for me, but physically it only takes about a day
    "In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks." -John Muir
    "Because in the end you won't remember the time you spent working in an office or mowing your lawn. Climb that ******* Mountain!" - Jack Kerouac

  9. #29
    Registered User Engine's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-29-2009
    Location
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,673
    Images
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    ... I do watch AT videos and get wistful for cooler weather and hiking for the day.
    If we ever get a cool spell, come on up to Ocala and we can knock out a day on the FT. The trail is really nice up this way.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

  10. #30

    Default

    For me (closing in on 50) it's all about conditioning. If I've been good about conditioning, a stout hike will make me tired the next day. Without it, I'm sore and tired for a couple/few days.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-01-2011
    Location
    Hendricks Cty, Indiana
    Age
    66
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    For me (closing in on 50) it's all about conditioning. If I've been good about conditioning, a stout hike will make me tired the next day. Without it, I'm sore and tired for a couple/few days.
    This^^ I believe there is a co-relation between pre-hike physical prep and post-hike recovery.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-02-2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    This for me as well. Did the summit on 03 OCT 2016. Was taking 1 Aleve, 2 Motrin and/or 2 Extra strength Tylenol per day for 5+ months.

    Shoulders still hurt, but not as much.
    Feet still hurt when I first get up out of bed. Still wobble. Have not had to take pain meds in 2 months, tho. PF in both feet.
    Knees still get stiff if I sit for an hour or two.
    Going DOWN stairs I have to use the rails. Up the stairs, no probs at all. Go figure.

    On the Trail - in bed usually before the sun went down. Up with the sun. Usually slept well after right ankle pains settled down.

    Best day BEFORE PA - 21.5 miles. Not many over 18, though. AFTER PA, best days not over 17. Legs, feet, ankles and knees beat to pieces. Pain meds upped in dosage after PA.

    Lost 50 pounds - have gained 30 back due to moderate inactivity. Hoping to have stabilized and begin slow reduction.

    Mentally: still bitter over Trail layout and location. Just barely starting to recall the good points. I do watch AT videos and get wistful for cooler weather and hiking for the day.
    If you are still bitter over the layout and location of the AT(I can't really get my head around how that works...) and can only now barely start to recall the good times, you may have PTSD. Your thru hike sounds more like survival of a death-march than an adventure of a lifetime...

    I am being serious. If you are angry about your completed thru hike and unable to recall any pleasure from it, you have been traumatized. You may want to talk to somebody. I understand that you are disappointed with the way it went, but to be so unhappy 5 months after it ended is not a good sign...just sayin...

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    If you are still bitter over the layout and location of the AT(I can't really get my head around how that works...) and can only now barely start to recall the good times, you may have PTSD. Your thru hike sounds more like survival of a death-march than an adventure of a lifetime...

    I am being serious. If you are angry about your completed thru hike and unable to recall any pleasure from it, you have been traumatized. You may want to talk to somebody. I understand that you are disappointed with the way it went, but to be so unhappy 5 months after it ended is not a good sign...just sayin...
    PSTD;
    posta tarsal stress disorder???

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-02-2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    PSTD;
    posta tarsal stress disorder???
    Post Tendonitis Sacroiliac Disorder?

    Seriously though, dude's in a bad way. I've never seen such cognitive dissonance. Kudos to him for sticking it out, I guess.

    So, I guess there is a lesson to be learned here...if you aren't digging it by Harper's Ferry, bail...just sayin...

    I mean...I wouldn't stay in a marriage 5 months if it caused me that much pain and anger...

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-10-2005
    Location
    Bedford, MA
    Posts
    12,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    I mean...I wouldn't stay in a marriage 5 months if it caused me that much pain and anger...
    I have considered that analogy many times. Way back when, there was tremendous social pressure to keep a marriage intact. Couples stayed together even after they'd come to hate each other. Is that really a good thing? Nowadays, not quite as much stigma about divorce.

  16. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Post Tendonitis Sacroiliac Disorder?

    Seriously though, dude's in a bad way. I've never seen such cognitive dissonance. Kudos to him for sticking it out, I guess.

    So, I guess there is a lesson to be learned here...if you aren't digging it by Harper's Ferry, bail...just sayin...

    I mean...I wouldn't stay in a marriage 5 months if it caused me that much pain and anger...
    a ballistic rock plate in the forefoot can prolong a marriage, but be careful of high hill shoes.

  17. #37

    Default

    In incidentally it took me about two weeks to recover from the PA rocks, dastardly do-littles they are.

  18. #38
    Registered User Engine's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-29-2009
    Location
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,673
    Images
    10

    Default

    Maybe the end result of being too goal oriented? A must reach Katahdin at all costs OCD kind of focus is great, if the process is bringing something positive into your life. But if the OCD is bring nothing but pain and anguish, the end doen't justify the means. It seems like his time would have better spent elsewhere.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-02-2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    In incidentally it took me about two weeks to recover from the PA rocks, dastardly do-littles they are.
    Which is why I don't often hike in trail runners. I like the near-complete isolation a thick Vibram sole, full shank, full rand and green SuperFeet provide me on the rocks...YMMV...

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-12-2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Age
    47
    Posts
    267

    Default

    I finished my thru in October of '14 and it wasn't until mid summer (early August) '15 that I felt fully recovered. Walking a thousand miles on tendonitis ankles didn't help, and though it wasn't debilitating pain it really lingered on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •