WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm with you, though I've discovered Smuttynose "Finestkind IPA" and it reigns supreme over my Sierra Nevadas, Upland Brewery's "Dragonfly IPA" and Founder's "All Day IPA." These are my four most favoritest quaffs on Mother Earth. An easy fifth is Kona Brewing's "Castaway IPA." All of them wash away any residual post-hike ails, trading ails for ales.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    A six pack of Sierra Nevada is all it takes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a believer in having to hike to get in hiking shape.....sure wish my daily fitness routine was hiking! I've never had any issues staring out doing 15-20 miles per day for up to about 2 weeks at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default How long does it take you to recover from a hike?

Twice now, my hikes have cone to an end due to a knee issue. both times it took about a month of "doing nothing" for the knee to heal. Then it took 6 months of exercise to recover from that one month of doing nothing!

A good night's sleep, a hearty breakfast, two cups of tea, and it's time to get on the trail. Too much stopping, sitting, standing around, life indoors and in the front country is much more taxing and requires more recovery time.

I get a serious case of the munchies after a couple of days on the trail. Nothing a few burgers can't fix

Images

Quote Originally Posted by josh_ATL View Post
    I still to this day walk funny, and do the "hiker hobble" for a little while when I first get out of bed. I kind of doubt you can ever heal completely after a thru hike, instead your body just learns to adapt to increased levels of pain.
    This for me as well. Did the summit on 03 OCT 2016. Was taking 1 Aleve, 2 Motrin and/or 2 Extra strength Tylenol per day for 5+ months.

Shoulders still hurt, but not as much.
    Feet still hurt when I first get up out of bed. Still wobble. Have not had to take pain meds in 2 months, tho. PF in both feet.
    Knees still get stiff if I sit for an hour or two.
    Going DOWN stairs I have to use the rails. Up the stairs, no probs at all. Go figure.

On the Trail - in bed usually before the sun went down. Up with the sun. Usually slept well after right ankle pains settled down.

Best day BEFORE PA - 21.5 miles. Not many over 18, though. AFTER PA, best days not over 17. Legs, feet, ankles and knees beat to pieces. Pain meds upped in dosage after PA.

Lost 50 pounds - have gained 30 back due to moderate inactivity. Hoping to have stabilized and begin slow reduction.

Mentally: still bitter over Trail layout and location. Just barely starting to recall the good points. I do watch AT videos and get wistful for cooler weather and hiking for the day.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

How long does it take you to recover from a hike?

I hike to recover.

Thunder

it takes a while for the longer trips mentally for me, but physically it only takes about a day
    "In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks." -John Muir
    "Because in the end you won't remember the time you spent working in an office or mowing your lawn. Climb that ******* Mountain!" - Jack Kerouac

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    ... I do watch AT videos and get wistful for cooler weather and hiking for the day.
    If we ever get a cool spell, come on up to Ocala and we can knock out a day on the FT. The trail is really nice up this way.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

For me (closing in on 50) it's all about conditioning. If I've been good about conditioning, a stout hike will make me tired the next day. Without it, I'm sore and tired for a couple/few days.

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    For me (closing in on 50) it's all about conditioning. If I've been good about conditioning, a stout hike will make me tired the next day. Without it, I'm sore and tired for a couple/few days.
    This^^ I believe there is a co-relation between pre-hike physical prep and post-hike recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    This for me as well. Did the summit on 03 OCT 2016. Was taking 1 Aleve, 2 Motrin and/or 2 Extra strength Tylenol per day for 5+ months.

Shoulders still hurt, but not as much.
    Feet still hurt when I first get up out of bed. Still wobble. Have not had to take pain meds in 2 months, tho. PF in both feet.
    Knees still get stiff if I sit for an hour or two.
    Going DOWN stairs I have to use the rails. Up the stairs, no probs at all. Go figure.

On the Trail - in bed usually before the sun went down. Up with the sun. Usually slept well after right ankle pains settled down.

Best day BEFORE PA - 21.5 miles. Not many over 18, though. AFTER PA, best days not over 17. Legs, feet, ankles and knees beat to pieces. Pain meds upped in dosage after PA.

Lost 50 pounds - have gained 30 back due to moderate inactivity. Hoping to have stabilized and begin slow reduction.

Mentally: still bitter over Trail layout and location. Just barely starting to recall the good points. I do watch AT videos and get wistful for cooler weather and hiking for the day.
    If you are still bitter over the layout and location of the AT(I can't really get my head around how that works...) and can only now barely start to recall the good times, you may have PTSD. Your thru hike sounds more like survival of a death-march than an adventure of a lifetime...

I am being serious. If you are angry about your completed thru hike and unable to recall any pleasure from it, you have been traumatized. You may want to talk to somebody. I understand that you are disappointed with the way it went, but to be so unhappy 5 months after it ended is not a good sign...just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    If you are still bitter over the layout and location of the AT(I can't really get my head around how that works...) and can only now barely start to recall the good times, you may have PTSD. Your thru hike sounds more like survival of a death-march than an adventure of a lifetime...

I am being serious. If you are angry about your completed thru hike and unable to recall any pleasure from it, you have been traumatized. You may want to talk to somebody. I understand that you are disappointed with the way it went, but to be so unhappy 5 months after it ended is not a good sign...just sayin...
    PSTD;
    posta tarsal stress disorder???

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    PSTD;
    posta tarsal stress disorder???
    Post Tendonitis Sacroiliac Disorder?

Seriously though, dude's in a bad way. I've never seen such cognitive dissonance. Kudos to him for sticking it out, I guess.

So, I guess there is a lesson to be learned here...if you aren't digging it by Harper's Ferry, bail...just sayin...

I mean...I wouldn't stay in a marriage 5 months if it caused me that much pain and anger...

I mean...I wouldn't stay in a marriage 5 months if it caused me that much pain and anger...
    I have considered that analogy many times. Way back when, there was tremendous social pressure to keep a marriage intact. Couples stayed together even after they'd come to hate each other. Is that really a good thing? Nowadays, not quite as much stigma about divorce.

Post Tendonitis Sacroiliac Disorder?

Seriously though, dude's in a bad way. I've never seen such cognitive dissonance. Kudos to him for sticking it out, I guess.

So, I guess there is a lesson to be learned here...if you aren't digging it by Harper's Ferry, bail...just sayin...

a ballistic rock plate in the forefoot can prolong a marriage, but be careful of high hill shoes.

In incidentally it took me about two weeks to recover from the PA rocks, dastardly do-littles they are.

Images

Maybe the end result of being too goal oriented? A must reach Katahdin at all costs OCD kind of focus is great, if the process is bringing something positive into your life. But if the OCD is bring nothing but pain and anguish, the end doen't justify the means. It seems like his time would have better spent elsewhere.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    In incidentally it took me about two weeks to recover from the PA rocks, dastardly do-littles they are.
    Which is why I don't often hike in trail runners. I like the near-complete isolation a thick Vibram sole, full shank, full rand and green SuperFeet provide me on the rocks...YMMV...

I finished my thru in October of '14 and it wasn't until mid summer (early August) '15 that I felt fully recovered. Walking a thousand miles on tendonitis ankles didn't help, and though it wasn't debilitating pain it really lingered on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++