WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 3 Days Near Denver - Late May 2017

Week of May 22 (also open to Memorial Day weekend)

Will be spending a couple weeks in Denver this May (cheers to a quarter century), and I'm hoping to do a 3-4 day backpacking trip. I've been looking at the Double By-Pass/Pawnee-Buchanan Loop detailed by Mags (thanks!) in the below links, but I'm open to suggestions.

As noted above, I'm open any time May 22-29. A couple things to note:

1. Weather permitting. If I'm insane for even proposing a trip at this time, please let me know. I'm assuming it will still be cold, but I'm willing to layer.
    2. The 27-29 is Memorial Day weekend which means crowded trails, but also opens up availability for more people to meet up.

Been doing day hikes for awhile, but I'm new to backpacking and would love to have company in new territory.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...3-A-sneak-peak

http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-loops-mags-favorites

Check the elevations. With as much snow as we (Colorado, Wyoming and Montana) have been getting so far this year already anything over 8-9000ft will likely still have a lot of snow and I know we can't hit the higher trails until towards the end of June/beginning of July around here. Colorado-rob will chime in with better info and suggestions than I can.

That's pretty early for elevations above 10K'. Weather can be sunny, warm to cloudy, whiteout, blizzard, it's Colorado. I would plan on snowshoes, you can rent if you don't own.

I would also look at Lost Creek Wilderness, lower elevation, a bit further south and still expect snow especially on the north slopes.

Colorado is having an epic snow year, so far. Things change but the highest snow total months are in front of us

Garlic
    Images

Ditto Lost Creek Wilderness in May--can't beat that. If the high country isn't still snowed in, it will be very muddy and stream crossings will be high.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Thanks for your input. I'll shoot for Lost Creek Wilderness. Sounds like the weather will be dictating the trip, so I won't make any definitive plans until the week before or week of.

Hi all,

I'm heading out to Denver next week. I know it snowed recently but looks like it will be warmer next week. For Colorado locals - is the Lost Creek Wilderness Loop still feasible and my best bet?

I was just out there beginning of the week and there was still some snow and ice on the ground. Nothing that can't be handled or worth cancelling a trip over, just be prepared for the cold.

I'll be back out there next week as well- if you still want some company let know!

We just had a major system pass thru with snow above 6000'. It will melt quickly where exposed to the sun, but north slopes will be holding snow, perhaps feet. LCW has several creek crossings, you'll want water shoes. Try to stick to exposed western or southern slopes and be ready for some post holing in absence of snowshoes

++ New Posts ++