WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Best 55ish liter pack

I'm looking for a frameless pack with about 50-55 liters. I'm leaning toward the cdt as it would be my 6th bag from them and they are bomb proof. It seems like building a zpacks zero bag that is comparable is twice the cost and only a few oz lighter. Is there any advice out there for people in the same situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't order a zero now they are redesigning it. The CDT is a great bag if you are under 18lbs total weight .

Thom

Have you looked into the hyperlite packs?

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.co...windrider.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    You can't order a zero now they are redesigning it. The CDT is a great bag if you are under 18lbs total weight .

Thom
    Do you know what they are doing to the zero and how long it's unavailable? My total weight for the intended use of this bag with food for my wife and I in my ohm is 17lbs with our duplex and ground sheet. It would be much less with a tarp or bivy depending. Also I might start making her carry some food since her bag has pretty much just sleep stuff in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Have you looked into the hyperlite packs?

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.co...windrider.html
    I have and every time I see them on the trail I really like them and want one but the weight to cost ratio on this pack is going to be the deciding factor I think. I don't have any dyneema gear in the closet and I feel like a Cuban pack would have me worried if the trail got dense and tight.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sethd513 View Post
    ... my 6th bag from them and they are bomb proof. ...
    You're 28 and have gone through 6 bags from one manufacturer? Somehow, that doesn't seem evidence of bombproof to these eyes as I read this. What am I missing?
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

At 24 ounces, you are getting what you are paying for...ultralite and ultra-low load capability(18lbs...1 gallon of water is 8.4 pounds...). I guess this works for you, but limits your pack selection possibilities....ZPacks ArcHaul GridStop...better weight capacity same pack weight...or MLD Exodus, if you are stuck on superlite frameless packs...same weight limit issues as the CDT, but it weighs a half-pound less, neither are Cuben Fibre but both are some kind of Dyneema weave...

It's just me, but for the weight, comfort and capacity, I'd be going with the ZPacks ArcHaul GridStop...in fact, I will be shortly!

Zimmerbuilt has great stuff.

Thom

You can still get the SMD Fusion 50L, previous model, for $100 last I checked. Close in weight to the CDT but the structure makes it able to carry a much heavier load comfortably.

I recently bought a used CDT, took it on a day hike of 8ish miles and purposely overloaded it. I'd guesstimate about 22-25 lbs of gear and water. I didn't have any issues with comfort. YMMV

Have no idea what zpacks is doing . My base weight with the CDT was less then 10lbs for 3 season multi day hike . if your base weight is more then 10lbs I would not use a frameless pack. I have zpacks stuff but have not drank the cool aid with their framed packs.

Thom

Images

Granite Gear Crown VC , 60 l, 34 oz, $200, Best pack for the wt/$ out there.

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    On sale for $160 right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    You're 28 and have gone through 6 bags from one manufacturer? Somehow, that doesn't seem evidence of bombproof to these eyes as I read this. What am I missing?
    No my wife and I each have a catalyst for winter. We each started with ohms for 3 season. Last year I wanted to get a smaller lighter bag and got the fast pack. She loves the fit and can't even feel it on her back. It's a pinch to small for me if I'm solo

Rain man. No my wife and I each have a catalyst for winter. We each started with ohms for 3 season. Last year I wanted to get a smaller lighter bag and got the fast pack. She loves the fit and can't even feel it on her back. It's a pinch to small for me if I'm solo

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    At 24 ounces, you are getting what you are paying for...ultralite and ultra-low load capability(18lbs...1 gallon of water is 8.4 pounds...). I guess this works for you, but limits your pack selection possibilities....ZPacks ArcHaul GridStop...better weight capacity same pack weight...or MLD Exodus, if you are stuck on superlite frameless packs...same weight limit issues as the CDT, but it weighs a half-pound less, neither are Cuben Fibre but both are some kind of Dyneema weave...

It's just me, but for the weight, comfort and capacity, I'd be going with the ZPacks ArcHaul GridStop...in fact, I will be shortly!
    I'm planning on removing everything as I do with all my ula bags with the cdt. Also I was looking at it in yellow without the grid stop. Hopefully putting me at 18oz. I understand though how these packs have their limitations. Thanks for all the input so far everyone.

Scarebear. I'm planning on removing everything as I do with all my ula bags with the cdt. Also I was looking at it in yellow without the grid stop. Hopefully putting me at 18oz. I understand though how these packs have their limitations. Thanks for all the input so far everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I've been backpacking for 35 years, and am shopping for overnight pack number 3. This is probably an unfair comparison as #1 is a Kelty frame pack that I could take off the wall and use tomorrow if I actually needed that much space.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    I've been backpacking for 35 years, and am shopping for overnight pack number 3. This is probably an unfair comparison as #1 is a Kelty frame pack that I could take off the wall and use tomorrow if I actually needed that much space.
    Im this is way with everything. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    There's supposed to be an update to this pack for the spring. If it's out in time for my spring section hikes, I'll probably buy one.

http://journal.granitegear.com/2016/...retailer-2016/

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    You can still get the SMD Fusion 50L, previous model, for $100 last I checked. Close in weight to the CDT but the structure makes it able to carry a much heavier load comfortably.

I recently bought a used CDT, took it on a day hike of 8ish miles and purposely overloaded it. I'd guesstimate about 22-25 lbs of gear and water. I didn't have any issues with comfort. YMMV
    Fusion 50 is a 40 liter pack.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++