WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kelty Redwing 50

Looking back saw a thread on the Kelty Redwing 40 for ladies. Just wondering if the Kelty Redwing 50 is a good pack for 3-5 day trips mainly? Mostly summer hiking. Assuming maybe it is bigger then needs to be but also figured better too large then too small?
    Thanks.

I have this pack, originally bought it for day hiking to fishing spots, ha ha, a bit of overkill right. I have carried a lot of water on some long day hikes and some basic gear so maybe 15 lbs or so and it was always comfortable. I have since gone to a smaller Gregory for day hikes.

I believed I needed bigger pack for 5-6 night overnights so I went with Osprey AG 65 and found that i could do away with the brain and have plenty of room with my gear and it made me wonder if I could get away with using the Kelty for short stints but I never tried it. I think there would be enough room if you have a highly compressable sleeping bag and compact gear. I have ordered a zpacks arc haul zip to go lighter and plan to let my daughter use the Kelty when she goes out with me which will be for short trip most likely. I hope this helps.

One more thing, the Kelty Redwing doesn't have hip belts.

My redwing has a hip belt..: all in all a decent pack. I use it for a loaner pack these days for any friends that want to come with me and give backpacking a try. For the $70 i paid for it you cant go wrong, think the normal price was around 99 when i got mine

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbelly View Post
    My redwing has a hip belt..: all in all a decent pack. I use it for a loaner pack these days for any friends that want to come with me and give backpacking a try. For the $70 i paid for it you cant go wrong, think the normal price was around 99 when i got mine
    I'm sorry, hip belt pockets.

++ New Posts ++