Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    ...Embracing the uncertainty and the unknown, knowing that you will not know until you do, it is one of the best parts of the thru hiking experience.

I'd add that embracing what you don't know is part of the experience.
    Some(many?) in the age of impatience, just Google it - it's a fact if Google says so, saw it on a YouTube vid so therefore I know it, sound bites, familiarity needed before acting, fear of the unknown/change, info overload, and cookie cutter mentalities have forgotten this.

Hiking without adventure and exploration is becoming standard. It's soooo mediocre even when going after FKT or other "firsts." That's all you got?

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Some(many?) in the age of impatience, just Google it - it's a fact if Google says so, saw it on a YouTube vid so therefore I know it, sound bites, familiarity needed before acting, fear of the unknown/change, info overload, and cookie cutter mentalities have forgotten this.

Hiking without adventure and exploration is becoming standard. It's soooo mediocre even when going after FKT or other "firsts." That's all you got?
    Where's the "like" button on this forum? It's time for some thread drift off this topic.

Even "Adventure Travel" companies try to sell what should come naturally. I always thought "adventure" was what happened when things went wrong, or as one hiker said, it's what happens when some idiot loses the map.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

Facebook emboldens many hikers to do things now, by holding their hand every step of the way. From telling them what gear to buy, to what food to eat, to what exactly to expect every inch of trail. Apps like guthooks even tell you exactly what water is where reported by another hiker 20 minutes ago.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-24-2017 at 09:19.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Sounds like Maine in June.
    Many people from back East, the middlewest and the south, myself included, come out to California with the idea that June means summer. So they, like me, are shocked to discover that June in the mountains is a whole 'nother animal.

it's not just Facebook. There's folks on this site who are more than happy to dump unsolicited wisdom on people asking questions, and on the trail there are those who just do whatever the Wingfoot or Yogi book tells them to do.

The snowpocalypse issue is a real one though, a significant deviation from normal that demands special consideration.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    The snowpocalypse issue is a real one though, a significant deviation from normal that demands special consideration.
    Maybe, maybe not.

But If i had to bet...id gamble there will be majority snow cover into early july.... at least...this year

I did a section hike from Walker Pass - Truckee last year. I arrived at Kennedy Meadows on 29th July 2016 and there were ~20 other hikers hanging around.
    The snow was manageable and most of the river crossings were easy (only Evolution creek was a bit scary). The shadow side of the passes were still snow covered, and sometimes the trail was hard to find.
    I hiked this section solo and I was happy about my late start. I carried Microspikes, but never used them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++