WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need a new winter pack...

The REI Mars I bought from a neighbor is about dead, and it I don't want to repair it. I want to replace it.

75 liters should be sufficient...
    The two I'm looking at are the REI Yosemite and the Gregory 75 liter that is a pound lighter and only about $30 or $40 more...
    Is there a reason not to assume the Gregory is a no brainier?
    I'm 5'11", between 165 and 180 with average proportions.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Seek Outside Unaweep

The Gregory Stout is the Gregory I was referring to.
    Seek outside unaweep? Guess I have some googling to do...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

After you Google the Unaweep packs, take a look at the ULA Catalyst.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

In my experience Gregory packs are among the toughest and most comfortable around. But, they are heavy when compared to alternatives which provide the same capacity. If the extra pound or so is not an issue for you, you'll end up with one of the most comfortable packs around. If you want something lighter, the ULA packs mentioned above are very nice.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The Gregory baltoro is my Go-To winter pack, it's a beast and has been good to me for many years.

If your max pack weight is expected to be below 35-40lbs look at the ULA catalysy as well, it's 75 liters and is much lighter, the tradeoff is that it isn't designed to haul huge loads.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    In my experience Gregory packs are among the toughest and most comfortable around. But, they are heavy when compared to alternatives which provide the same capacity. If the extra pound or so is not an issue for you, you'll end up with one of the most comfortable packs around. If you want something lighter, the ULA packs mentioned above are very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    The Gregory baltoro is my Go-To winter pack, it's a beast and has been good to me for many years.

If your max pack weight is expected to be below 35-40lbs look at the ULA catalysy as well, it's 75 liters and is much lighter, the tradeoff is that it isn't designed to haul huge loads.
    How old are your packs? I ask this b/c I was a Gregory fanboy for 20+ years, but the last two packs I have bought of theirs have been very uncomfortable. My old Reality was awesome, as was my older Z55.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by G-FOURce View Post
    How old are your packs? I ask this b/c I was a Gregory fanboy for 20+ years, but the last two packs I have bought of theirs have been very uncomfortable. My old Reality was awesome, as was my older Z55.
    It's been a long time...My Gregory Wind River was purchased around 1990-ish.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

off a little early today, did a bit more research and comparison.

Brand/model.......Cost ......Weight..... weight limit

REI Yosemite 75.....$134.....4 lb 12oz..... ?
    Gregory Stout 75....$164.....4 lb 6 oz..... ?
    Seek out' 'weep .....$400.....3 lb 5 oz..... ?
    ULA Catalyst 75 .....$260.....3 lb -- .......40lb
    Osprey Volt 75 .......$200.....4 lb 1 oz..... ?
    Hyperlite 4400 .......$365 .... 2 lb 2 oz.....65lb

I was hoping to keep this new pack under $200, but sometimes the best value isn't the lowest price.

I read some reviews, and the Gregory Stout apparently doesn't have the adjustable shoulder straps most packs have. Perhaps one of the places they cut features to lower cost and weight.

My "summer" pack is just over 4 lbs*, so the weights aren't super critical to me, but comparing the list above, where else can you save a whole pound for $60 ?? It makes the ULA look like a no brainer. HOWEVER my last trip I went on with a week's worth of food and 1 liter of water was 36.5lbs... but I ended up carrying an extra 1.6 liters of water sometimes due to the drought conditions ... and a fleece I forgot to give to the shuttle driver. I was probably just over 40lbs for a day or so until I ate a couple pounds.

How durable would the ULA be if it was packed to it's maximum of 40 lbs each time it was used?

The ULA is in the lead, with the Osprey Volt in second place. The weep... can't spend $400 on a pack... The Hyperlite is only $365 and weighs less than all the above at 2.2lbs and is rated to carry up to 65 lbs... but it's still out of my price range, and I don't know how comfortable such a minimalist pack would be with that kind of weight in it.

*my summer pack is a JanSport Katahdin 60 I impulse purchased on sale for $60 because it was 5 lbs lighter than the military surplus pack I was using previously. Not ideal, but it's comfortable and serviceable...just too small for my winter trips.

Default Need a new winter pack...

I'll throw in my vote for ULA. While I don't have the catalyst, the Circuit (next size down - 68L I believe) is what I use year round. For colder weather I'm carrying about 31-32lbs and it rides like a dream. I can't speak on the other packs listed, i can say you won't be disappointed with ULA.

Gregory packs are def overbuilt. Heavy, but they last. And for some, they are very comfy. While I don't use the Z55, its in our gear bin and my son loves it. TJDingo loves her Sage 50. Neither show any interest in lighter packs...both rave about the comfort.

Take a look at the Black Diamond Mission 75. If I needed a new dedicated winter bag for multi-day BC ski-touring, I'd go with this bag. It is amazingly under 4 pounds. And under $200. For a real deal piece of climber/mountaineer gear...

Curious what your carrying that you need such a huge pack? Alaska expedition or month long unsupported trips like Tipi? Ula is only one of the bunch I've owned. The circuit is an awesome pack. I met a guy on the jmt few years back with the volt who spoke highly of it....used ula packs seem easy to find second hand at a good price.

Just ordered up a Cold Cold World Chaos pack. Read good things about it and its made right next door in NH! It should be here in a couple of days. I will try to remember to follow up post hike with it.
    -My feet are my only carriage so I've got to push on through-

The Catalyst is on Massdrop for $224. Three days left before it closes.

Just order a Cold Cold World Chaos pack for winter use. Read good things about and its made right next door in NH! I'll try to remember to follow up post hike with it.

Capacity........4300 cu. in.(70 liters) Large
    .......4000 cu. in.(66 liters) Med
    Weight......................................3 lbs 12 oz
    Materials........420d packcloth/500d Cordura
    Price............................................. ....$245.

http://www.coldcoldworldpacks.com/chaos.htm
    -My feet are my only carriage so I've got to push on through-

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Curious what you're carrying that you need such a huge pack? Alaska expedition or month long unsupported trips like Tipi? Ula is only one of the bunch I've owned. The circuit is an awesome pack. I met a guy on the jmt few years back with the volt who spoke highly of it....used ula packs seem easy to find second hand at a good price.

My... ok now the space bar works, my winter sleeping bag is bulkier than some because I couldn't spend the big bucks for a higher fill power.
    I bring extra socks and 2 layers of thermal fleece long underwear.
    I bring 8 days worth of food because I'm not thru-hiking yet. I don't want to hike for a week, wasting the better part of a day going into town to resupply. The extra day of food is because I plan for the unexpected.
    I bring a paperback book and a spare headlight... that's about all I bring that is "more" than "normal", and I can't fit it into my 60 liter pack.

A few observations on the ULA Catalyst...
    40 pounds? No worries.
    If your torso length is at the upper end of the size range, go up to the next size.
    Buy the S shape shoulder straps regardless of gender.
    Nit picks...
    Some Velcro on the roll top closure would be nice.
    The J shaped shoulder straps are set too close to my neck.
    I can't get a water bottle out of the outside pockets or back in.
    Kudos...
    The hip belt actually works. The hip belt pockets work and hold a lot of stuff.
    The two large outside pouches (they are not pockets) hold a huge amount of things. I put my MSR Hubba Hubba NX in one and a Nalgene 3/4 gallon soft canteen and MSR Waterworks filter in the other.
    Caution: Don't let your eldest granddaughter talk you out of it.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Ps:
    I also carried 7-8 days of food and a WM Alpinlite bag in my Catalyst.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by VT-Mike View Post
    Just ordered up a Cold Cold World Chaos pack. Read good things about it and its made right next door in NH! It should be here in a couple of days. I will try to remember to follow up post hike with it.
    The BD Mission 75 is the stripped-down version of your pack! Congrats on a good buy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++