WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mid with no inner net or bivi CT in July? Bad idea..??

As much as I've loved my Solong 6. I've always wanted a mid....I recently bought a cuben duomid from MLD, really like it so far but have only set up at home. I'm a skeeter magnet so curious about using it for a July CT trip....I didn't notice any bugs in Co last September but realize July is buggy time of year....thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

July can be bad in some areas. 2014 I was glad I had an enclosed shelter. The flies and mosquitoes were bad. 2015 I had a tarp and bug net and used the bug net only about 3 days out of 10. I would bring something!

Quote Originally Posted by B.j. Clark View Post
    July can be bad in some areas. 2014 I was glad I had an enclosed shelter. The flies and mosquitoes were bad. 2015 I had a tarp and bug net and used the bug net only about 3 days out of 10. I would bring something!
    Thx....I'm debating if I'd get more use out of bivy or net but really negates the weight savings.....

Are you limited to July? I've always had great bug free weather in late August and early September.
    That said, I see several insect protection solutions at Campmor.
    You might be better off with the Solong 6.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

In addition to lower elevation wet lands/marshes, upper elevation snow drifts/fields can also be sources for mosquitoes. Usually not bad, thankfully no black flys, but I have been treeline in early July and forced to spend the evening in a tent.

Personally, I would bring the net and only bring the bivy if my sleep system can not handle the lower end of possible nighttime temperatures.

With a lower pitch you can keep it against ground and close up top vent but assume would cause condensation issues. Since I only own a JRB 45-50*quilt and an EE 20* not sure if bivy would be too hot with 20*.....

Pick up Ron's bug bivy...one of the lighter solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    As much as I've loved my Solong 6. I've always wanted a mid....I recently bought a cuben duomid from MLD, really like it so far but have only set up at home. I'm a skeeter magnet so curious about using it for a July CT trip....I didn't notice any bugs in Co last September but realize July is buggy time of year....thoughts?

Everybody's tolerance is different. Nothing drives me nuts more than trying to sleep with a large number of mosquitoes around. Other guys don't seem to mind. And, I'd say mozzies are the worst at night because they don't "sleep" unless the temperature gets below 50-ish degrees, while black flies always "sleep" at night. You would probably be lucky enough to have most nights go below 50 degrees once you hit Breckenridge.

Quote Originally Posted by B.j. Clark View Post

I also thru-hiked the CT during July/August 2014, and I encountered a healthy population of mosquitoes during the ~150 miles north of Twin Lakes. South of Twin Lakes, the mozzies disappeared entirely.

Why the Duomid in July? R U a 2 p group or having the JRT tagging along?

I have a Katabatic Gear "Bristlecone" bivy that I'll sell at a good price. Its never seen a night of use, and is in mint condition, as I decided to stick with double-walled tents. No worries if you decide against a bivy or if the Bristlecone isn't what you'd want, but I thought I'd let you know in case it might help you solve for your concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Why the Duomid in July? R U a 2 p group or having the JRT tagging along?
    ....may have the dog if I can get more time for a thru...I like the extra space and about half the weight of my solong6. July is so far away just thinking ahead....I've got a few other trips before then so I haven't even mentioned it to the sheriff... just broke the news to her that I'm planning to attempt the Everglades challenge again on my sup....i should have learned from last year...I guess I like abuse!

I like the price and versatility of this! Thx

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    Everybody's tolerance is different. Nothing drives me nuts more than trying to sleep with a large number of mosquitoes around. Other guys don't seem to mind. And, I'd say mozzies are the worst at night because they don't "sleep" unless the temperature gets below 50-ish degrees, while black flies always "sleep" at night. You would probably be lucky enough to have most nights go below 50 degrees once you hit Breckenridge.

I also thru-hiked the CT during July/August 2014, and I encountered a healthy population of mosquitoes during the ~150 miles north of Twin Lakes. South of Twin Lakes, the mozzies disappeared entirely.
    Thx I hate skeeters especially while trying to sleep! I'll plan to bring something...that -3oz S2S net looks perfect to use w tyvek or poly floor.

++ New Posts ++