WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone done the Camino?

I am starting to plan on my wife and I doing the Camino next year. Probably the French Way. Any advice from an experienced person would be greatly appreciated. Things like language difficulties, making reservations (we would probably want to stay in small hotels for a couple of nites a week, should we pack an small tent, etc. Thanks.

If you look under the "Listing of other long trails" for the "Other Trails" forum, you'll find some threads about the Camino.

I've hiked the Camino twice, and while a perhaps over-loved trail, I do love it --- just a matter of knowing what it is and what it is not.

My spanish is pretty good, but you don't need any language skills; english is the lingua franca of much of the world today.

Reservations can be an issue, as the "most popular time" to hike keeps spreading both earlier and later as folks attempt to avoid the worst of the crowds. In this one factor some language skills were helpful, as it's a safer bet to call ahead for reservations if you speak the language. But you can sometimes ask the host of your current lodgings to call ahead a day or two. Or use websites to book if you're going with a cheap hotel or casa rural (sort of like a B&B) or sometimes hostel. Maybe even some of the private albergues can be booked that way (?).

While some people do stealth camp, I don't recommend it, thus I'm not a fan of bringing a tent. But others will likely pipe up and tell you to go for it.

Get yourself a good guidebook and read through that for some good prep. There are also web sites dedicated to American pilgrims prepping for the Camino.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

The other white meat

Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    I am starting to plan on my wife and I doing the Camino next year. Probably the French Way. Any advice from an experienced person would be greatly appreciated. Things like language difficulties, making reservations (we would probably want to stay in small hotels for a couple of nites a week, should we pack an small tent, etc. Thanks.
    Check your private messages.

Journal Entries

I have done one last year, a shorter one Leon to Santiago (and a side trip to Finestra), and doing another this year the Full French Way. Thinking about another route for next year.

-Google translate app can be helpful for those times when language gets in the way.
    -Guthook also has one of the best El Camino apps which lists routes, hostels (called Allergies), etc.
    - Last year I got a 'Orange' sim card for my phone in Europe, it worked great, this year I am going to try T-Mobile here, which has free unlimited roaming in Europe so no need to scramble for the sim card when I arrive, but IDK about the service - will see.
    -The guidebook (which there are many) miss a lot of hostels, there is far more than is listed
    -If you are not going prime season you should not need to call ahead, but could. Part of 'the way' is not calling, but being freed from that and in trust that your needs will be met IMHO.
    -Compare the direct fights from your start city then fly out of Santiago instead of round trip from Paris or Madrid, after trains and other ground transportation and transfers direct flights came to around the same price and saves lots of time.
    - Don't sweat it, it's far easier than the AT.
    - But since most is paved it's far harder on the feet, pace yourself learn to walk slower to avoid overuse injury and or blisters.
    - Expect to get on trail before sunrise and be at your destination by 2pm if traveling in the summer - way too hot.
    - It is ridiculously easy to follow.
    - If you want you can slack pack for about 5e/day/bag for the whole thing.
    - You don't need a tent, if you are up-staying, going to choose private rooms you may not need a sleeping bag or mat.
    - If all else fails there are shuttles, El Camino has pretty good cell service to call them. If things are full you may need to take a shuttle - but that didn't happen.
    - Spanish ibuprofen gives a pleasant 'high' be sure to take some back with you.

++ New Posts ++